• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear tires not engaging?

Started by J_C, June 30, 2016, 09:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_C

This morning I had my new revision from Torrie so I thought I would test it out. First wot was from a dig and the front tires spun like crazy so I let out. Second time was from around 20-25mph with the same results? Could this be my PTU going out or tune related? This morning was the first time I've ever noticed the car not engaging the rear wheels so I'm pretty worried
2013 Taurus SHO performance pack: H&R's, Aem drop in filter, Torrie e30 tune, 3 bar map, 170 t-stat,  Unleashed catless downpipes, Vibrant resonators, 4" rolled tips

12.172 @ 113.06 mph

SHOdded

Were you normal-launching or brake boosting?  What tires do you have on now, tread depth, and at what psi?  May need to disconnect the neg terminal on the battery for 30 seconds, let it relearn.

Usually datalogging and dialing in the torque management helps a lot, so I would do that with Torrie.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

I doubt that it is tune related.  Traction control can hide a bad PTU.  I'm guessing you turned off the TC to test the tune and that exposed the bad PTU.

Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

J_C

Quote from: SHOdded on June 30, 2016, 09:48:25 AM
Were you normal-launching or brake boosting?  What tires do you have on now, tread depth, and at what psi?  May need to disconnect the neg terminal on the battery for 30 seconds, let it relearn.

Usually datalogging and dialing in the torque management helps a lot, so I would do that with Torrie.

This was a brake boost launched from a dig but acted the same going wot from a roll? This is with stock Michelin's which never spun like that before.
2013 Taurus SHO performance pack: H&R's, Aem drop in filter, Torrie e30 tune, 3 bar map, 170 t-stat,  Unleashed catless downpipes, Vibrant resonators, 4" rolled tips

12.172 @ 113.06 mph

J_C

Quote from: sholxgt on June 30, 2016, 10:02:58 AM
I doubt that it is tune related.  Traction control can hide a bad PTU.  I'm guessing you turned off the TC to test the tune and that exposed the bad PTU.
Yes, traction control was off which I always do before launching the car. This just happened to be the first time all power went to the front wheels and spun like crazy

12.172 @ 113.06 mph

AJP turbo

The ptu is spinning all the time and it keeps the driveshaft spinning...the rear end is electronically activated when needed so i doubt its the ptu
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 30, 2016, 11:19:37 AM
The ptu is spinning all the time and it keeps the driveshaft spinning...the rear end is electronically activated when needed so i doubt its the ptu

Hmm...I see what you are saying AJP.  Strange thing is there have been several reports of dealers replacing the PTU on cars with non-functioning AWD.  If it is seized, is there something between it and the motor that can slip instead?

My understanding is that, on the cars with a failed PTU, the driveshaft has not been spinning to provide power to the rear.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

glock-coma

Your right front half shaft is what actually engages the PTU as AJP said. I highly doubt
there's a mechanical issue causing it not to spin, you would definitely know.
Have you talked to Torrie? Any awd off lights on the dash? If your running torque there's a PID for the awd engagement from the clutch pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Gray Brick

If I drive aggressively and heat up the drivetrain I get excessive wheel spin  from the front wheels.

When I pull over, turn off the car and let it cool for 5-10 minutes it goes away.

I am leaning towards the RDU getting overheated.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

AnotherGreenFusion

Quote from: Gray Brick on June 30, 2016, 12:42:27 PM
If I drive aggressively and heat up the drivetrain I get excessive wheel spin  from the front wheels.

When I pull over, turn off the car and let it cool for 5-10 minutes it goes away.

I am leaning towards the RDU getting overheated.

Had the same thing happen to me last night at NED. If I hot lapped, by the time I got to the 3rd or 4th run I was pretty much running FWD only it seemed from all the extra hop I would get.

Need to get some AMSoil into these parts.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

J_C

Quote from: glock-coma on June 30, 2016, 12:20:22 PM
Your right front half shaft is what actually engages the PTU as AJP said. I highly doubt
there's a mechanical issue causing it not to spin, you would definitely know.
Have you talked to Torrie? Any awd off lights on the dash? If your running torque there's a PID for the awd engagement from the clutch pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've spoken to Torrie and he wants me to retrieve the stock files and send to him before anymore flashing. There wasn't any dash lights on at all but this happened 5 minutes before getting to work in the am. I hope this can be resolved without returning to stock before bringing to the dealership

12.172 @ 113.06 mph

sholxgt

Keep us posted and good luck!

J_C

Quote from: sholxgt on June 30, 2016, 04:39:26 PM
Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks!
Well, I loaded my last tune and the awd system worked fine this morning. It's hard to say if yesterday was a fluke or if it was something in the revision. I'm going to send the current file to Torrie after work to see if he can find anything but it runs great so far!

12.172 @ 113.06 mph

Gray Brick

Do we know what would cause the rear to not engage?

Is there a temp sensor in the RDU giving the awd notification it is hot?
What about in the PTU?
Or something else?
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

AnotherGreenFusion

I recall reading somewhere that is has its own temp controlled cutoff. Not sure how it works though.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost