• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

H&R Front springs loose

Started by Jshepard, June 19, 2016, 08:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jshepard

I started installing my H&R springs today on my 2011 Sho and was wondering if it normal for the front springs to be loose on the strut with no weight on them.  I figured it was since they are much shorter, but I figured I'd ask for piece of mind.

Thanks

Joe

BiGMaC

Quote from: Jshepard on June 19, 2016, 08:28:16 PM
I started installing my H&R springs today on my 2011 Sho and was wondering if it normal for the front springs to be loose on the strut with no weight on them.  I figured it was since they are much shorter, but I figured I'd ask for piece of mind.

Thanks

Joe
Joe... Likely not. Most springs fit tight if not actually with a little preload... If nothing else, if they are actually loose, the vibration will drive you crazy as will the bang of the springs hitting the cups every time you hit the smallest bump.
Can you upload pics and maybe a little more detail about how loose the springs are? Several members have them and I never heard this problem.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Jshepard

Not much play up and down, (maybe 1/8") but since there is no preload the top of the spring is free to move side to side.  I simulated some weight by putting the jack underneath that wheel and it tightened up.  Maybe it will be ok with the car on the ground but I am just worried like your saying that the rebound may cause noise.

With all that said, I don't see how it can tighten down more on the spring because the nut is fully seated on the strut. 

CroR1

I would not worry about it, they will compress under weight. In other words, it's normal.

CroR1

Ps.

If you rebounds to have these lose, your wheels we'll probably bee of the ground. And I highly doubt HR did  their research on a shorter strut.

Jshepard

Quote from: CroR1 on June 20, 2016, 09:34:43 AM
I would not worry about it, they will compress under weight. In other words, it's normal.

I called H&R this morning and the said it is normal.  Thanks for the help guys.

CroR1

Technically, BiGMaC is correct, the struts should be a little on the tighter side. However, the difference in most, if not all the street cases, is non existent, so to say.

ZSHO

Do you have any outside pic's?...is your SHO a non-pp!!.. also if you would be kind enough to update your signature and enjoy the ride.  Z    :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

Quote from: Jshepard on June 20, 2016, 07:02:43 AM
Not much play up and down, (maybe 1/8") but since there is no preload the top of the spring is free to move side to side.  I simulated some weight by putting the jack underneath that wheel and it tightened up.  Maybe it will be ok with the car on the ground but I am just worried like your saying that the rebound may cause noise.

With all that said, I don't see how it can tighten down more on the spring because the nut is fully seated on the strut. 
Fixed the pic's for ya,kinda my neck was hurting,lol.  Z   ;)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|