• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Upr catch can after 1500 miles

Started by SHOme, June 07, 2016, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOme

Here is what I drained.  It's been on the car for around 1500 miles. It smells like exhaust.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Yuck!

Strange question comes to mind.  I see evidence from catch can photos and intake shots that these motors are insanely dirty, but then I see everyone's pictures of clean spark plugs.

How are these engines able to be so dirty, but not foul plugs?  I understand the high voltage ignition systems do a great job, but why isn't there more evidence of oil deposits on the plugs?
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

glock-coma

Wait until the colder months, the amount will go up dramatically.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOme

I have a question about the drain on the UPR catch can.  I have run a hose from the bottom of the catch can to just behind the front facia.  Can I put the drain vavle at the bottom of the hose behind the facia or will that affect its ability to collect?  This would also increase the capacity of the can somewhat.  For that matter could I add and auxiliary can downstream where there is more room?

BiGMaC

Quote from: sholxgt on June 07, 2016, 10:45:17 AM
Yuck!

Strange question comes to mind.  I see evidence from catch can photos and intake shots that these motors are insanely dirty, but then I see everyone's pictures of clean spark plugs.

How are these engines able to be so dirty, but not foul plugs?  I understand the high voltage ignition systems do a great job, but why isn't there more evidence of oil deposits on the plugs?
Maybe because of the oil spray on the hot cylinder wall below the ring lands that our engines have... Maybe because there is a point in every cylinder cycle where the exhaust and intake valves are all open... Dunno

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ZSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on June 07, 2016, 10:18:08 PM
Quote from: sholxgt on June 07, 2016, 10:45:17 AM
Yuck!

Maybe because of the oil spray on the hot cylinder wall below the ring lands that our engines have... Maybe because there is a point in every cylinder cycle where the exhaust and intake valves are all open... Dunno
I was curious if there is evidence of any "Black Soot"from your tailpipes OP.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOme

Yes but seems to be less since catch can install.  I could be imagining it though.  FYI I still have Cats.

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOme on June 08, 2016, 08:36:50 AM
Yes but seems to be less since catch can install.  I could be imagining it though.  FYI I still have Cats.
Be sure it's not summer gas (corn) making the difference. I noticed a decrease with my MDesign when I installed it... Then had some increase (still better than before) after the summer gas went away.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

glock-coma

I have the rx occ and I still have soot on the pipes.
This is after 400 miles on the highway.

It was spotless before.

SHOdded

Need to put an MDesign CAI on there, glock ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Quote from: SHOdded on June 08, 2016, 11:19:38 AM
Need to put an MDesign CAI on there, glock ;)
I have a k&n panel with a modified air box that has an aux hose that goes down to the lower front facia with a small scoop. Not sure if it helps performance wise but IAT drops very quickly once I'm moving.

SHOdded

SHOme

Mine after 250 miles. 

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOme on June 08, 2016, 01:46:15 PM
Mine after 250 miles. 

That's pretty good IMO.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|