• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Fluid "drain and fill", how much fluid usually comes out?

Started by jimmyducati, May 24, 2016, 04:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyducati

I did this once before but it was a while ago. Approximately how much fluid should I expect to come out if i drain the transmission and re-fill it? I know it won't be the entire capacity of the transmission because the T/C and valve body retain a lot of the fluid.
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

John Miller

I just researched this.  I decided to go with the BG flush, so can't speak from experience, but the internet "knowledge" says between 5 and 6 quarts will come out with each drain.  The system holds about 11.6 quarts total, per the owner's manual.
2015 Taurus SHO, Non-PP, 93 Octane Livernois V10 "Soft Shift" Tune with 170 Reische Thermostat and 3-bar MAP sensor

SHOdded

They say about 50% of the trans fluid capacity comes out in a single drain.  So somewhere between 5 & 6 quarts each time.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MeanKS

does it trip anyone else out that Ford still recommends 100K mile service intervals for changing the transmission fluid in our 6sp autos???

i had my car in service and asked a tech about getting a BG transmission service.  he said its pretty much a waste and that i only have to worry about a flush at 100,000 miles.  B&G recommends every 30,000 miles, and their service is more than just a flush but an actual suction cleaning...
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

Marketing gimmick?  I think the fluid COULD last the 100+ K if you drove all-highway miles and didn't step into it regularly :)  But would the trans last beyond that?  Hard to say.  But wait, you'll buy a new car anyway at that point, right?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jimmyducati

this has become a regular part of my oil change services.. (I just had a brain fart as to how much to replace this time). its to easy to drain the trans when you drain the oil. No denying it extends the life of the transmission. I trust BG (and any other "flush" service) about as far as I can throw them when it comes to their additives, service intervals and guarantees.
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

metroplex

I actually measured and marked a few gallon jugs for this. My drain came out to be 4 qt and about 575 mL. Or just over 4.5 qt, about 4.6 qt. However, when I started the car and went to check the dipstick, I didn't see anything. I'm also not going to idle it for an hour to get to 200F. The trans fluid temp takes over 30 min of driving to even get near 180F.

Anyone else see more than 4.5 qt come out of a drain?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

mrhighcaliber

Quote from: metroplex on March 27, 2017, 05:50:49 AM
I actually measured and marked a few gallon jugs for this. My drain came out to be 4 qt and about 575 mL. Or just over 4.5 qt, about 4.6 qt. However, when I started the car and went to check the dipstick, I didn't see anything. I'm also not going to idle it for an hour to get to 200F. The trans fluid temp takes over 30 min of driving to even get near 180F.

Anyone else see more than 4.5 qt come out of a drain?
Trans was at operating temp. I got just under 6qts out. Jacked up the right side of the vehicle only, drained 5qts. Started the vehicle. Ran for 15secs. And got about another quart. Put 6qts back in and at 180ish degrees, the level was just above 3/4 of the cross hatch.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

metroplex

How did you measure it to be 5 qt initially? My trans was at operating temp when I drained it. The service manual says that if you remove the front trans cover. Only 4.5 qt needs to be replaced. If the entire trans is disassembled, it's 6.5 qt.

I used a large graduated cylinder and poured water into jugs to mark the capacities. There's no way I could get anywhere close to 6 qt.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport