• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2011 SHO w E85 mix - hiccup at WOT and cold temps

Started by ElvenSho, May 05, 2016, 11:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElvenSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 05, 2016, 10:31:57 PM
@11SHO

If you have E-0 93 you need 4.5 gallons of e-85 to get to E-20 which is where you will start to see solid benefits of knock suppression and cooling. An even 5 puts you @22% which is where I've been for a while.

I've read a lot of research and 20% seems to be the threshold, less than that doesn't seem to have any benefit and then the benefit increases until E-30-40ish. Of course as the blend goes up rail pressure drops so it becomes a balancing act.

When filling up, I'd suggest corn first then 93 so it mixes properly.
Yup I do corn first. What I noticed right away is the car was smoother and seemed to shift harder, not sure how that happened. Another thing I noticed now that it got colder out for the last few days(55-60f) the car seems to have a hicup in 2nd around 5200rpm but once its warmer 65+f it is not present and the car accelerates good. This only happens under WOT. I am not sure if it has to do with extra boost or something when its colder. It feels like the car stops accelerating for 1 second and after that point its back to normal. I will log this weekend and have torrie see if 3 gallons is too much for my fuel pump, if he thinks I can add more I might try 4.5 gallons.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2011 Red Taurus SHO- H&R springs, plugs, t-stat, 3bar, LMS dps, tuned by Torrie

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ElvenSho on May 05, 2016, 11:33:58 PM
@11SHO

If you have E-0 93 you need 4.5 gallons of e-85 to get to E-20 which is where you will start to see solid benefits of knock suppression and cooling. An even 5 puts you @22% which is where I've been for a while.

I've read a lot of research and 20% seems to be the threshold, less than that doesn't seem to have any benefit and then the benefit increases until E-30-40ish. Of course as the blend goes up rail pressure drops so it becomes a balancing act.

Yup I do corn first. What I noticed right away is the car was smoother and seemed to shift harder, not sure how that happened. Another thing I noticed now that it got colder out for the last few days(55-60f) the car seems to have a hicup in 2nd around 5200rpm but once its warmer 65+f it is not present and the car accelerates good. This only happens under WOT. I am not sure if it has to do with extra boost or something when its colder. It feels like the car stops accelerating for 1 second and after that point its back to normal. I will log this weekend and have torrie see if 3 gallons is too much for my fuel pump, if he thinks I can add more I might try 4.5 gallons.

Do you have a log with 3 gallons?

ElvenSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 06, 2016, 12:04:35 AM
@11SHO

Do you have a log with 3 gallons?
No I will have one tomorrow or Saturday and can post it here

f8tlSHO

@11SHO

This happens to me also
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

ElvenSho

Quote from: f8tlSHO on May 06, 2016, 06:03:54 AM
@11SHO

This happens to me also
Did u figure out what it is?

f8tlSHO

I think it's a safety thing, maybe throttle closing

Sent from my iPhone
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.

SHOdded

Keep in mind you guys have different PCM/fuel configuration, ElvenSHO is a 2011, ft8lSHO is 2013.  So the amount of E85 in the mix that can be handled might not be the same for the 2 of you.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

f8tlSHO

It happens more I think right after I fuel up. Maybe it's not mixed together completely and I'm getting more e content

Sent from my iPhone

AJP turbo

Post a log of the event...i wouldnt mind looking...i would make sure your log has actual throttle angle, stft, measured afr, lambse , desired tip, MAP, rpm , fuel rear or rail pressure, spark, knock sensor, wastegate duty
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ElvenSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 06, 2016, 08:15:57 AM
Post a log of the event...i wouldnt mind looking...i would make sure your log has actual throttle angle, stft, measured afr, lambse , desired tip, MAP, rpm , fuel rear or rail pressure, spark, knock sensor, wastegate duty
I will post a log, i am scared to beat on it when that happens as it feels like the engine skips a beat and I am afraid it will blow up. I will try to get a log today its a bit on the warmer side and I am not sure if it will do it or not.

ZSHO

I certainly agree with SHOdded the 13+ uses E15!!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

f8tlSHO

FoMoCoSHO

I am familiar with the events you guys are talking about. My car does it as well but not when sport mode is activated which leads me to believe it is a TC event that I miss the blink or it doesn't always blink. With the kind of power some of us are running I think the tires can momentarily break loose in unexpected environments.

An example of this is the 25 MPH WOT downshift to first. With sport mode disabled, the car will cut out sometimes with a light and sometimes without. In sport mode, it doesn't happen at all.

I have seen shutdowns with the old car due to too much E and very low temps but those also came with a +7 KR so I assumed I was out of fuel. These other events I never see any KR activity so I just drive in sport mode all the time. Even in sport mode I see TC/ESC blinks where I wouldn't expect them. I also have times where I feel a wheel break loose with no light.

If you guys log it, make sure you log torque source so we can see where the request comes from.

When mixing E-85 i never beat on the car until STFT's return to normal.

f8tlSHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 06, 2016, 03:55:08 PM
I am familiar with the events you guys are talking about. My car does it as well but not when sport mode is activated which leads me to believe it is a TC event that I miss the blink or it doesn't always blink. With the kind of power some of us are running I think the tires can momentarily break loose in unexpected environments.

An example of this is the 25 MPH WOT downshift to first. With sport mode disabled, the car will cut out sometimes with a light and sometimes without. In sport mode, it doesn't happen at all.

I have seen shutdowns with the old car due to too much E and very low temps but those also came with a +7 KR so I assumed I was out of fuel. These other events I never see any KR activity so I just drive in sport mode all the time. Even in sport mode I see TC/ESC blinks where I wouldn't expect them. I also have times where I feel a wheel break loose with no light.

If you guys log it, make sure you log torque source so we can see where the request comes from.

When mixing E-85 i never beat on the car until STFT's return to normal.
This was gonna be my 2nd guess... I have traction problems.. Lol..that damn light is always blinking!!!

ElvenSho

I can squeel the tires on a 40 mph downshift to 2nd on few roads around here and i have new tires... traction theory could be correct but when it happens there is no light and it literally only happens in 2nd around 5200, id think it would happen in 1st. Did not have time to log today was a busy day but i will make it a point do get a good log tomorrow altho it probably wont skip as ita HOT out.