• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Water/Meth, Low Temp Stat, Colder Plugs at .030"

Started by gdonley308, April 01, 2016, 09:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdonley308

I am pulling the trigger on the water/meth kit from snow in a week. The problem is room for the fuel cell. I already have a 3 stage catch can (something I highly recommend to anyone with an ecoboost), so I have limited room under the hood. I want my wash water bottle so no converting that. My Idea is to find a 1.5 gallon rectangular aluminum fuel cell that I can squeeze under the hood and adapt the snow pump to it? Do any of you have a suggestion or are running a water/meth kit some advise? Torrie is saying to run pure meth no water for the extra fuel I need. I am maxing my fuel pump right now with the tune and BoostMax 17-18psi.
2014 "Torrie 93 Octane Tune " Explorer 3.5l Ecoboost JMS Boost Max, JMS Pedal Max,3 Bar Map, AEM Dry Panel, RX Performance Catch Can and One Way Oil Breather,170° T-Stat, BOV's vent to atmosphere, no plastic engine cover to trap heat, rear hood gasket removed to let out heat

J-Will

I too an interested in this method. I think our best hope is something that fits in the space opened up by the MDesign CAI

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Scott4957

Thank you for answering one question for me, that Torrie suggests 100% meth. Only thing I have to add is to mount the pump below the tank.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

BiGMaC

Quote from: J-Will on April 01, 2016, 10:33:50 AM
I too an interested in this method. I think our best hope is something that fits in the space opened up by the MDesign CAI

I agree with J-Will... It may not hold 1.5 gallons, but has easy access to the power panel and the platform that supported the OEM airbox will already be there to support the tank. The pump can be installed on the bottom side of it to be sure that gravity keeps the pump primed. Then you could also install a bigger reservoir to refill the one used by the pump to draw meth, if desired, to extend range..... In the SHO this kind of tank has been put in the trunk, but maybe there's someplace behind the bumper for that. I know you're going with Snow, but check out the installs and tanks already available for this kind of "2 tank" install. ... There may already be one specific for the Explorer Sport. Julio can provide pics of these if you can't find them.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

gdonley308

Quote from: Scott4957 on April 01, 2016, 10:36:06 AM
Thank you for answering one question for me, that Torrie suggests 100% meth. Only thing I have to add is to mount the pump below the tank.

My problem with all the CAI's is that they do not seal against the hood properly or not at all. All dyno testing, for every one of them, is with the hood open and a big fan blowing through the radiator and intercooler. Guy in town here with a dynojet showed me all his results with the hoods shut, real world. Every CAI lost HP and TQ from heat soak. Factory airbox has no way to suck in the hot engine bay air. I just dropped an AEM dry panel in mine. One day if I get motivated I may take a dremmel to the baffles in the air box unless someone comes out with a true ram air CAI.
2014 "Torrie 93 Octane Tune " Explorer 3.5l Ecoboost JMS Boost Max, JMS Pedal Max,3 Bar Map, AEM Dry Panel, RX Performance Catch Can and One Way Oil Breather,170° T-Stat, BOV's vent to atmosphere, no plastic engine cover to trap heat, rear hood gasket removed to let out heat

J-Will

Quote from: gdonley308 on April 02, 2016, 09:24:01 AM

My problem with all the CAI's is that they do not seal against the hood properly or not at all. All dyno testing, for every one of them, is with the hood open and a big fan blowing through the radiator and intercooler. Guy in town here with a dynojet showed me all his results with the hoods shut, real world. Every CAI lost HP and TQ from heat soak. Factory airbox has no way to suck in the hot engine bay air. I just dropped an AEM dry panel in mine. One day if I get motivated I may take a dremmel to the baffles in the air box unless someone comes out with a true ram air CAI.
None of that is accurate.

The MDesign is fully enclosed and therefore does not need to deal against the hood.

Other CAIs use taller seals specifically for the purpose of sealing.

CAIs on the EB platform have been dynoed with the hood closed, most recently the MDesign CAI was dynoed by a customer with the hood closed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

BiGMaC

Quote from: J-Will on April 02, 2016, 09:44:11 AM

None of that is accurate.

The MDesign is fully enclosed and therefore does not need to deal against the hood.

Other CAIs use taller seals specifically for the purpose of sealing.

CAIs on the EB platform have been dynoed with the hood closed, most recently the MDesign CAI was dynoed by a customer with the hood closed.

Not to mention the members who have lost 0.1-0.2 sec in the quarter mile with a K&N or Airaid that was restored, same day, on the next run by returning to the stock intake. MDesign doesn't seem to do this, but honestly I chose it for the visual and sound aesthetics more than anything. Based on my dynos... Yes with hood up... And no intake... Air going directly into the saxophone... There is no gain over stock. So IMHO the engine gets all the air it can use, tuned or not, and if there is an intake restriction it is in the saxophone... Past the intake and filter.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

Scott4957

Yeah, I decided to stick with a drop in AEM dryflow. Trying to maintain the sleeper, I will be using my washer tank for meth and likely a different smaller tank for washer fluid.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

AJP turbo

I think the air raid has the largest filter media surface area...i called them before and got the cfm...all that means a lower pressure drop across the filter...91hybrid got into the specifics on what effect that has on the turbo....makes the turbo work alot less....i really dont think at the modest power we are making that the size of the intake piping is a problem...it can be a problem on a supercharged car but from what i read turbos seem to be less susceptible to power limitations due to intake piping sizes
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Yea... Piping diameter doesn't matter as long as the flow is laminar and the speed of air movement is fast enough to minimize the effects of heat soak.