• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Experimenting with Octane Adjust Ratio (LOR) settings in SCT

Started by AJP turbo, March 12, 2016, 02:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

I would like to scale it farther as I think it would be a great tool to really compare what blends tolerate different OARS but for some reason (Brad told me and I don't remember) that -1.2 is max.

I'm still pegged at -1.2 (-1.15 in SCT) but I did have an event which scaled my OAR back a while ago.

FoMoCoSHO

Whoever split that off, thanks!

I had to walk AFK for a bit.

FoMoCoSHO

SBS, I will be watching closely how this develops for you.

Your results will have an impact on what we decide to do vehicle wise next year.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 25, 2017, 05:13:25 PM

Your results will have an impact on what we decide to do vehicle wise next year.

Yea, we will see... I'm curious how well my car will respond.. I know keeping the lambse at .80 with an E20ish mix coupled with the cooler ambient is hard on my fuel pressure...

I understand the basics of OAR, but didn't know what scaling it past -.96 would do. This is a good thread and good link you posted! Thanks!

What do you have planned for next year?

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on February 25, 2017, 05:25:26 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 25, 2017, 05:13:25 PM

Yea, we will see... I'm curious how well my car will respond.. I know keeping the lambse at .80 with an E20ish mix coupled with the cooler ambient is hard on my fuel pressure...

I understand the basics of OAR, but didn't know what scaling it past -.96 would do. This is a good thread and good link you posted! Thanks!

What do you have planned for next year?
So many options I'm not sure yet...

One is giving Sparkie to the Mrs and getting a gen 4.1 SHO for myself and getting a motor built, big snails, and a big DI pump so I can go crazy with corn. When I'm ready to do the motor I'd like to turn up the wick on the stocker till it pops....for science, ya know, lol.

StealBlueSho

I'm hooked on corn.... 14.5 psi with 25 degrees of advance... knock sensor still wants to add more....no KR anywhere...

Can't get good logs right now, traction is a problem... too cold.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on March 03, 2017, 07:02:14 PM
I'm hooked on corn.... 14.5 psi with 25 degrees of advance... knock sensor still wants to add more....no KR anywhere...

Boost is nice but boost with a ton of spark feels incredible.

I had so much spark, I couldn't get to my boost target cause it didn't need it to hit demanded torque. The solution was to up the power.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 03, 2017, 11:41:01 PM

I had so much spark, I couldn't get to my boost target cause it didn't need it to hit demanded torque. The solution was to up the power.

I'm tired of jumping threads to respond to you... lol...

Yea, you were at 27 degrees of spark? Brad seems to think I should be good where I am at since I'm just shy of MBT for my current load... but said depending on my fuel pressure he might want to add more... dunno... like I said... tires cant get warm enough to get a good 0-100 log...

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on March 03, 2017, 11:45:20 PM

Yea, you were at 27 degrees of spark? Brad seems to think I should be good where I am at since I'm just shy of MBT for my current load... but said depending on my fuel pressure he might want to add more... dunno... like I said... tires cant get warm enough to get a good 0-100 log...
My spark limit is at 27 and I'm hitting 26.75 peak. Once summer fuel arrives I suspect we will ride the limit. I'm also not opposed to blending up a bit if necessary. Or dumping a couple of bottles of HEET in the tank.

Better life through chemistry....

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 03, 2017, 11:53:52 PM

My spark limit is at 27 and I'm hitting 26.75 peak. Once summer fuel arrives I suspect we will ride the limit. I'm also not opposed to blending up a bit if necessary. Or dumping a couple of bottles of HEET in the tank.

I can pretty much duplicate both those situations. Got to the spark limit of my E20 tune and wanted to see what was left with a higher blend since FRP was still solid. Got the same verdict from Brad saying i was approaching MBT. There is a ceiling for everything and you reach a point of diminishing returns. Not to mention i've learned that spark can be a very powerful . . . but potentially dangerous thing. And if i was a payed tuner i wouldn't shy  away from the idea of backing off of MBT a bit, commanding a little more boost and ultimately making more low end torque instead of being a peak HP queen.
That being said, i still might be curious to make the man give me a 100octane/E20 tune come track season.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

Yup, he told me he set my spark limit to 25, and the bit of logging I am able to do right now shows I am maxing out my spark.. brad wants more logs, just haven't had time to or good weather to do it.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on March 04, 2017, 01:01:01 AM

I can pretty much duplicate both those situations. Got to the spark limit of my E20 tune and wanted to see what was left with a higher blend since FRP was still solid. Got the same verdict from Brad saying i was approaching MBT. There is a ceiling for everything and you reach a point of diminishing returns. Not to mention i've learned that spark can be a very powerful . . . but potentially dangerous thing. And if i was a payed tuner i wouldn't shy  away from the idea of backing off of MBT a bit, commanding a little more boost and ultimately making more low end torque instead of being a peak HP queen.
That being said, i still might be curious to make the man give me a 100octane/E20 tune come track season.
In Ford, Brad, and my knock sensors I trust...I log constantly and even when I'm not I'm always watching the X4. I understand the risks involved and there is inherent risk seeing how far the platform can be pushed.

On the wild end of the spectrum we've got BPD showing us what can be done while spending your kids inheritance. On the mild end you've got me exploring what can be had with nothing but a tune, 3 bar, and a little corn. I've saved enough in fuel cost running E to pay for my mods. Both methods provide valuable data for other owners to decide what direction they'd like to go and what performance level can be expected.

Horsepower isn't real, all I care about is my torque and how far I can carry it. Max torque is 500 RPM or a downshift away anywhere I ask for it. Peak HP queen isn't even close to accurate.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on March 04, 2017, 12:31:55 PM
Still using ACES, FoMo?
Once a month for preventive maintenance.

I'm nearing 20K so almost time to have MrsFoMoCoSHO get my valves inspected.