• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Can I ?

Started by joe raptor, February 10, 2016, 11:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe raptor

I have been searching in the forum about , "CAN I USE ROTELLA T-6 SYNTHECTIC OIL (5W40) IN A 2014 FORD TAURUS SHO ? " . Pros & Cons , please !!. Thanks

glock-coma

You would prob be fine but the cam phasers are pretty sensitive in these engines.  It could starve oil once it gets to temp being heavier weight. That's what causes the infamous startup rattle so many people are getting.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

AJP turbo

Oil pressure will be higher than when running 30 weight oil. Unless you road race you will never get that oil hot enough to deliver the same oil pressure as the recommended viscosity.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

There is a reason why your oil cap says 5w-30 and that is to remind you or the service tech exactly what grade of oil your car calls for,the same goes for other key components throughout your vehicle,would follow the guidelines especially if your out of warranty,if not it could possibly impact your vehicle in the later stages of ownership IMO.   Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Not sure I'd recommend a higher viscosity oil even when the engine is worn enough to possibly warrant it.  As stated above, the cam phasers (and other areas with very tiny oil passages) would NOT like it.

P.S.:  panther at one point had mulled experimenting with it.  Dunno if that ever came to be.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Why would you want to?

Have you done used oil analysis?...

Is your oil pressure low?

Do you operate in

Ambient temps above 120f?

Gennerally higher viscosity is needed when the oil becomes hot enough that oil pressure falls

So if you arent getting the oil hot enough then an increased viscosity will make oil pressure exceed design limits of the engine
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

panther427

I never did step up to 40. I just searched for thicker 30 weights. My last oil change I did a uoa and it came back good far as the oil staying in grade and low fuel dilution.

My main concern was fuel dilution cutting down the viscosity. At least with that oil and uoa it wasn't a problem
2013 SHO

SHOdded

Pretty sweet, thanks for  the update, panther!  How long did you run the latest oil for?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: panther427 on February 13, 2016, 10:31:03 AM
I never did step up to 40. I just searched for thicker 30 weights. My last oil change I did a uoa and it came back good far as the oil staying in grade and low fuel dilution.

My main concern was fuel dilution cutting down the viscosity. At least with that oil and uoa it wasn't a problem
If you have time, could you post it in the sticky at the top of the fluids section?

Thanks!

panther427

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 13, 2016, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: panther427 on February 13, 2016, 10:31:03 AM

If you have time, could you post it in the sticky at the top of the fluids section?

Thanks!

The uoa from Blackstone is in the sticky. Check it out
2013 SHO