• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil smell with repeated hard acceleration

Started by Expygator, February 04, 2016, 06:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expygator

I have a 2010, non PP with 56k miles. I  smell  burning oil( as if it's on the exhaust) when I repeatedly get on the car. I have not seen an oil leak and the smell is gone next time I drive, even when the car is at operating temp.

Anyone familiar with this ?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 non-PP. K&N drop in.

SHOnUup

Could be the PTU pushing fluid out of the vent, or a leaky turbo seal or gasket for oil feed line. Those would be the more common culprits.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

pmezo33

How closely have you checked for leaks?  Have you checked the turbos?  Just found out both of mine were leaking and dripping onto the exhaust on my 10.   

SHOdded

Sure it is an engine oil smell?  Definitely check all turbo piping, make sure they are secured and leak free.  You might have to feel around the hose ends to discover breaks. 

Also check the ac compressor and lines carefully.  Sometimes a PAG leak can be intermittent.  Do you always have your climate control turned on?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Expygator

Thanks for suggestions. I'm on Nashville and it's cold, so no climate control.... Just hot vent air.

Expygator

And I have not checked closely at all.

pmezo33

Quote from: Expygator on February 04, 2016, 08:21:46 PM
And I have not checked closely at all.

Get under the car and carefully inspect.  Check the ptu vent, the ptu cover seal, the turbos (both front and back), the valve cover, and everywhere else.  Doesn't take much of a leak to smell through the vents.

Expygator

Alright. Thanks for the info.

tgambob

I also have a 2010 I picked up to days ago. Doing the same thing except it smells more like cooked heavy fluid like 90 wieght. Seems like this is common?
2010 non pp. Air raid, sct itsx, unleashed 93 boost, 3 bar, ngk

Excalibur

Mine's doing exactly the same thing right now. 2013 pp with 16k miles. I haven't had time to get under and look. My climate control is always on, so I will keep that in mind as well.
2013 PP SHO; k&n drop-in, 3bar, unleashed tune.

pmezo33

It can be a million and one things causing these issues.  It's just a guess until you actually get under that car and inspect where it's coming from.