• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Weep hole in CAC - issues fixed

Started by 93Cobra, January 26, 2016, 12:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

So where is all this oil coming from? It shouldn't be the PCV system since it is being sucked into the intake manifold. The crankcase breather doesn't produce this much oil into the charge piping/intake tract even while under full boost unless the rings are shot. I'm guessing it is the stock turbos spitting out that film of oil via the compressor outlet.

I routed an endoscopic camera into the hot side of the intercooler and found a thin layer of oil on the bottom.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

joe raptor

Can anyone show a picture (location) of the weep hole in the CAC ? , is the CAC right behind the A/C condenser ?? Thanks!!!

ZSHO

If it Ain't broke,Don't Fix it rule may apply here and save yourself from future headaches which can potentially and ultimately void your warranty. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

joe raptor

ZSHO if you clean the maf sensor and others every week, like I do , because oil film is all over the sensors and the performance of my car is very poor !, YES you will  like to have the weep hole !!. I went to my dealer and ask them how much $ it will be for them to vacuum the CAC and the service guy told me that they don't do that, they will have to disassemble the whole enchilada and I was looking to pay a lot of $$$ !!!!. And YES I do have a oil can catch !

metroplex

We don't have MAF sensors since the EcoBoost engines are all speed density. I don't know if cleaning the MAP sensor regularly would do anything. Mine is always covered in some kind of oil film.

The oil catch can / separator won't do anything to prevent oil collection in the intercooler. I have yet to see any evidence that the PCV system is dumping oil into the charged pipe system (I made a few posts/threads about this in this forum and others). The vapors can get sucked into the intake manifold which gets burned. The crankcase vent area doesn't send out anywhere near the amount of oil vapors that would amount to what I'd see in the turbo discharge or charge pipes.

One of my guesses at this point is that the oil is coming from the turbochargers themselves and possibly not from "seal" wear because there aren't any seals. They use steel rings (like snaprings/piston rings) on the ends of the shaft by the compressor and turbine wheels. The oiling system relies on something like a gravity drain and if the turbo is oriented in a weird way (beyond 20 degrees), the oil doesn't drain properly and can leak out through one of the shaft ends. Ford probably had to package the turbos in a way that may not be ideal for the oiling system, but would "get the job done" in terms of space/design constraints. Again, just my guess at this point.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

ZSHO

Quote from: joe raptor on March 05, 2017, 11:17:46 AM
ZSHO if you clean the maf sensor and others every week, like I do , because oil film is all over the sensors and the performance of my car is very poor !, YES you will  like to have the weep hole !!. I went to my dealer and ask them how much $ it will be for them to vacuum the CAC and the service guy told me that they don't do that, they will have to disassemble the whole enchilada and I was looking to pay a lot of $$$ !!!!. And YES I do have a oil can catch !
I had my Dealer use a compressor type suction gun which literally took minutes to suck out any oil /water/fuel accumilated inside the CAC and
Act as safeguard instead of drilling a hole and having to worry about your warranty aspect that's all.  Z
ftp://! No longer available

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Joe, you want to drill a hole in the intercooler, that is up to you.  At this time, we have no basis upon which to support this mod, at least for the transverse engines, when we already have an established CAC cleaning procedure in place.   Certainly if you do the mod, you are welcome to record and report on the mod & results, but that is that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

From time to time, i'll suck out the buildup like ZSHO posted in that clip with my mityvac.  There's barely anything in there and takes about 10 minutes to do.  Nothing I've been overly concerned with.

joe raptor

Can I get the model # for the mityvac ?,they have different models to use for ! Thanks !!

pmezo33

Quote from: joe raptor on March 06, 2017, 10:05:50 AM
Can I get the model # for the mityvac ?,they have different models to use for ! Thanks !!

This is the one i use.  I use it for everything from the PTU to differentials.  Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1488813650&sr=8-5&keywords=mityvac

93Cobra

My SHO is still going strong with this weep hole fix. I have not had a misfire since doing this. Two things to point out:
1. This hole does not introduce unfiltered air or junk into the engine. This is the pressure loop and the hole creates a very minor boost loss. We have measurements on this to prove how little.
2. Cleaning out the intercooler does not solve the problem. This intercooler is finicky and can build up condensate at any point. With the weep hole, it is self cleaning and you guarantee never to have a misfire.

joe raptor

Ramairetransam

Quote from: joe raptor on March 29, 2017, 11:44:37 AM
Thanks brother !!

do you have pictures of whats needed and where to drill the hole?
13 Mks Ecoboost

Auggie

Cobra, do U drive the SHO on short trips which could cause a lot of condensation in the intake ?? The wife drives the SHO on a lot of short trips so I was just wondering?

SHOdded

Quote from: 93Cobra on March 29, 2017, 11:28:14 AM
his intercooler is finicky and can build up condensate at any point. With the weep hole, it is self cleaning and you guarantee never to have a misfire.
I suggest you drill a series of holes along the bottom of the intercooler just in case the 1 weephole is not catching it all.

--- DISCLAIMER:  People doing this do it at their own risk, and this forum does not support this mod. ---
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!