• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Datalog from LMS tune with SCT Livelink and X3 or X4

Started by AJP turbo, January 09, 2016, 02:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOdded on January 12, 2016, 11:50:01 AM
There are many paths to the end goal as far as tuning is concerned.  As far as LME's tunes, they have always stated they use & control many more parameters available in the PCM via MyCal than are available to other tuners via devices from SCT, Diablo, etc.  If so, those secrets are hardly likely to be discovered through datalogging, because you will see the aggregate effect rather than the discrete.  Definitely, a better approximation is possible via datalogging, but not 100%.

Do you guys really think a MyCal device is reverse-engineering proof?  A hack-proof device has yet to be invented.  So relax, put your feet up, and enjoy the popcorn! :D

Shodded nothing can be discovered through datalogs i can assure you..i actually think they control less parameters than sct...the hypertech box they use is a rather archaic piece i dont think anyone will be reverse engineering it anytime soon lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Vortech347

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 12, 2016, 12:39:36 PM

Shodded nothing can be discovered through datalogs i can assure you..i actually think they control less parameters than sct...the hypertech box they use is a rather archaic piece i dont think anyone will be reverse engineering it anytime soon lol

This is 95% the reason I went with Torrie (that and my local tuner spoke highly of him) SCT all the way.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

jbeez

2014 PP SHO Darkside Metallic
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

AJP turbo

Quote from: jbeez on January 12, 2016, 01:49:16 PM
AJP What do you use to tune your vehicle?

I have a X4 and use sct software....why do u ask, what is your end game lol?...you must be looking for something if u ask right?...just kidding

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ecoboostsho

Sharing a datalog no matter who the tuner is shouldn't be considered nefarious in my opinion...As SHOdded stated earlier (and AJP) the datalog is just the result of the tune - not the tune itself.  There would be hundreds (if not thousands) of ways to produce different timing/boost/air-fuel maps given the array of tables in the ECU and seeing a datalog is maybe going to give you some clues but is a long shot at reverse engineering an actual tune these days.

AJP - I have an LMS tune and datalog fairly often with a laptop using FORSCAN and the OBDMX adapter with about 30ms resolution - not the best (I've seen SCT logs on our car around 8ms) but it is at least decent enough to tell you what is going on.  I'm not going to claim to be a "tuner" although I did tune a previous car myself but it was very basic compared to what I understand this car has available in terms of tables and variables.  Tori and LMS have different approaches to making power from what I've seen and it is sort of a classic boost vs timing debate (although that depends on what version tune you are running).  I will not enter in to that debate as I am not qualified.  Just so you know that there are a few of us who don't blindly run a tune without question. :)

On the plus side I haven't seen anything in my datascans that I am worried about from LMS and they have always provided reliable tunes. 

That said I applaud anyone who wants to learn more about how these cars work...
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SHOnUup

Blah blah blah...my tunes better than yours...blah blah blah

Re-living high-school drama at its finest.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOnUup on January 12, 2016, 08:46:21 PM
Blah blah blah...my tunes better than yours...blah blah blah

Re-living high-school drama at its finest.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not really that at all.....Mostly interested in throttle angle actual, desired TIP, MAP through a multiple gear WOT pull....Like 1st through 3rd or 4th gear and torque source. Just an attempt to make tunes better, I actually like sharing results and tune info unlike companies. I've already shared some of my findings

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

I find the attitudes in this thread interesting.

The last time I checked this forum is here as an information exchange for its members.

I thought we were here to help each other go faster, handle better, brake better, look better, etc.

I've seen quite a few data logs and mine are scattered all over the forum.

That data coming out of the ECM is mine and I will do with it what I please.

That data log gives away nothing proprietary ....there are so may settings, tables, tables that depend on other tables, etc that there is no possible way anyone's gonna figure out the "secret sauce" of what another tuner is doing. I've read repeatedly that there are over 10K adjustments in the fuel tables alone. Does anyone think a 40 PID log is going to divulge anything useful?...NO. It will just give us a snapshot of a measly 40 parameters in a moment of time that are continuously changing due to environmental conditions and conditions present in the motor.

Something else to consider...

I know that in another forum a tuner who shall not be named was found to be modifying/disabling FoMoCo fail safes creating dangerous operating conditions in the pursuit of power. This was found in a log, not by any settings you could see, but behavior of the vehicles during the pull. If you figure out this person, you can also find on his forum website where he clearly states any customer found to be sharing data logs would be FIRED for doing so...hmmm, I wonder why?

Trust but verify has always served me well in my life.

Thankfully none of the vendors here behave like that and personally, if they did, I would question their skillset and credibility and run the other way.

PS-Do not ask me about "the tuner that shall not be named" The information is readily available for anyone to find and come to their own conclusions. Just know that they are not on this forum and I believe our vendors, regardless of who you choose, will keep you fast and safe.

JDW1

AJ, so you bought the software?  I want to so bad but cant stomach the extra 300 for a SELF tune.. My main gripe i've expressed here before and why i still think Cobb is better.  I'm not un-pleased with mine and Torrie is great aside from needing a water board to get info out of him. I'm just used to doing it myself and therefore expecting more out of it.  No one cares about your car more than you.  There shouldn't be any reason some one wouldn't want to share a log.

Also, if you have configured a file that has all pertinent parameters and measures boost in PSI please send it to me for Christ sake.       
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: JDW1 on January 13, 2016, 04:09:45 PM
AJ, so you bought the software?  I want to so bad but cant stomach the extra 300 for a SELF tune.. My main gripe i've expressed here before and why i still think Cobb is better.  I'm not un-pleased with mine and Torrie is great aside from needing a water board to get info out of him. I'm just used to doing it myself and therefore expecting more out of it.  No one cares about your car more than you.  There shouldn't be any reason some one wouldn't want to share a log.     

IMO, All of us Unleashed customers are better served by asking questions in his vendor area. Other forums are much better engaging with him. When they engage he communicates well. Consider the speed of his service, amount of customers, etc. Asking in the forum gives him the ability to answer the questions once for everyone's benefit instead of dealing with 400 emails a day asking 400 different questions.

JDW1

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 13, 2016, 04:16:08 PM

IMO, All of us Unleashed customers are better served by asking questions in his vendor area. Other forums are much better engaging with him. When they engage he communicates well. Consider the speed of his service, amount of customers, etc. Asking in the forum gives him the ability to answer the questions once for everyone's benefit instead of dealing with 400 emails a day asking 400 different questions.

That's a good point, I was revering to our email back and forth which was 24/7 lightning fast.  However, i wasn't asking hard questions or ones that may require long drawn out responses. 
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

AJP turbo

Also, if you have configured a file that has all pertinent parameters and measures boost in PSI please send it to me for Christ sake.       

Yes i have sct advantage III thats pro racer...its actually about 350...but honestly unless you are a nut and want to seriously extend the time it takes to get a good tune for minimal gains you are well served to stick with the professional calibrators out there...what torrie charges is a relative bargain.

389 for an x4 plus 350 you can tune your sho....with cobb u need an access port and the access tuner package...you will have at least 600 or 700 in it....u may have had good luck with cobb before...it i had a subaru id go cobb also...but sct is so deep in ford tuning you arent gaining anything by using another platform...my guess is you will lose out actually.
I actually just called cobb cause i was bores and curious...the access port is 500...so thats more than the x4...and the editing software for you to tune with cobb is access tuner race softare and is 150...so 650 in all for cobb...slightly cheaper ...im not a betting man but if i did id be willing to bet cobb doesnt have as many parameters...but its a hard thing to guess because the sho isnt supported by cobb and the ecoboost engines that are such as the 2.3 and 2.0 and 1.6 for mustang and focus fiesta use different controllers within the ecu
You will use 10's of gallons of gas and countless hours trying to tune the sho on top of the software

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Vortech347

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 13, 2016, 05:33:35 PM

Yes i have sct advantage III thats pro racer...its actually about 350...but honestly unless you are a nut and want to seriously extend the time it takes to get a good tune for minimal gains you are well served to stick with the professional calibrators out there...what torrie charges is a relative bargain.

389 for an x4 plus 350 you can tune your sho....with cobb u need an access port and the access tuner package...you will have at least 600 or 700 in it....u may have had good luck with cobb before...it i had a subaru id go cobb also...but sct is so deep in ford tuning you arent gaining anything by using another platform...my guess is you will lose out actually.
I actually just called cobb cause i was bores and curious...the access port is 500...so thats more than the x4...and the editing software for you to tune with cobb is access tuner race softare and is 150...so 650 in all for cobb...slightly cheaper ...im not a betting man but if i did id be willing to bet cobb doesnt have as many parameters...but its a hard thing to guess because the sho isnt supported by cobb and the ecoboost engines that are such as the 2.3 and 2.0 and 1.6 for mustang and focus fiesta use different controllers within the ecu
You will use 10's of gallons of gas and countless hours trying to tune the sho on top of the software

Agree'd.  I use Advantage III on my 03' Cobra and Use Binary Editor on my fox.  I tuned both of them.  However I don't dear touch the ECOboost stuff.  The ECOboost alone has 16, Yes 16 fricken timing tables!!  I'll let Torrie do it.  I'll log, he refines. 

I probably have 200 hours in data logging and tuning my fox and Cobra to what I call as perfect as I can get it.  Funny thing is I've had people ask me to do their cars.  HELL TO THE NO.  I don't want the liability.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

AJP turbo

Some of the SHO is really easy and some is stingy to get the changes u want....because its so complex , for some things the car just does what u tell it...but for some things to happen you need to find the right combinations of switches...and alot of things arent defined in the software.....sct reveals every table...but even they dont know what they do...but at least its visible to the tuner

As far as spark and timing...thats actually an easy one...cant really venture very far from what ford did...i basically run stock timing and that was good for 395/465 on a dynojet

It doesnt take much more spark to cause knock due to being 10:1 compression with boost and pump fuel

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

JDW1

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 13, 2016, 05:33:35 PM

Cobb's Access Tuner Race for the individual is free.  The ATR Pro for dealers does cost money.  The point simply, it should cost more for a Pro tune not the other way around.  Cobb also has very robust user guides explaining in detail what every parameter is and how it affects change.  This is neither here nor there, they have no plans for our platform, i'm just comparing my tuning of my Mazdaspeed. 

Again, i'm pleased with my tune, I really have no desire to pay the extra money, i just think i should have access to it.  My only current and on going gripe is having a configuration for logging that isn't Greek.  I need PSI, not Kpa and i'd like to see that along with the other pertinent data points.  I thought i had it figured out pulling them from different configurations but it didn't end up being compatible with the car.  Yes, i know you can change the measured value but then it was clearly not accurate PSI, said i was at like 22 which i know was wrong.  Then even using the 1 kilopascal to .145 PSI conversion on my config, that wasn't even accurate.  So the simplest tuning protocol of analyzing data logs is perhaps the most frustrating thing about the SCT..