• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

12V DC from the mirror?

Started by Scott4957, January 07, 2016, 09:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott4957

I have a 2013 MKS with the lane detection which is a camera up near the mirror. I would like to mount a dash camera under it, right to the bottom of the plastic box that holds all that equipment. Does anyone have any info on the power that is ran to that device? I would like to pull 12vdc with vampire or needle taps. I would prefer to see something from a ford manual, maybe I can get an idea of the max draw from any power source in there.

Thanks,
Scott
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

ZSHO

I would personally not mess around with the built in camera wiring on the windshield,in my opinion its not viable to splice any of the wiring in that intermediate area due to the multi-purpose features on the component,here's a pic of the wiring that connects to the built in camera,hope this help's any.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Scott4957

Quote from: ZSHO on January 07, 2016, 10:15:35 AM
I would personally not mess around with the built in camera wiring on the windshield,in my opinion its not viable to splice any of the wiring in that intermediate area due to the multi-purpose features on the component,here's a pic of the wiring that connects to the built in camera,hope this help's any.  Z

Thanks it looks like the brown and blue are power. I actually need 5vdc at 1.5amps. I can run a cable under the headliner and down the A pillar, I am sure there is somewhere to pull 5vdc from, maybe in the fuse box with an "add a fuse". Thanks for posting that!

CroR1

the interior fuse box doesn't have much space, I tried to use an add a fuse, and it was a no go.

Quote from: Scott4957 on January 07, 2016, 10:27:56 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 07, 2016, 10:15:35 AM

Thanks it looks like the brown and blue are power. I actually need 5vdc at 1.5amps. I can run a cable under the headliner and down the A pillar, I am sure there is somewhere to pull 5vdc from, maybe in the fuse box with an "add a fuse". Thanks for posting that!

Scott4957

What did you end up doing?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SHO Rod

I installed a dash cam in my SHO and wired it in to a switched source in the overhead console.  I'll need to take a look to see what I used for power.  I thought I used the source side for the map lights, but I also think it's on a switched source that shuts the camera down after the key is turned off.  The camera I have contains an internal battery which it uses to close out the file when power is removed and also to record in the event of an impact (such as someone hitting my parked car).  I'm pretty sure I selected a power source that would not typically be active at the same time as the camera, which is why I think I used the map lights, but I also am not convinced they only have power with the key on....

-Rod

SHO Rod

I uploaded the wiring diagram for the overhead console from the factory service manual.  My recommendation would be to power the camera with the yellow/green wire at terminal location 3 in connector C929 of the overhead console.

-Rod