• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Bose Solo 10 hack

Started by Scott4957, January 04, 2016, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott4957

Okay audio geeks, this is not related to our cars but we have done some similar work when wanting to upgrade the low end. My wife got a Bose Solo 10 for a steal and gave it to me as a Christmas present. I wanted to get rid of all the wires and random speakers in a cheap set I had hooked to the TV in the living room but still have good sound to play Pandora off the Dish Hopper. Its great, looks and sounds great, all the wires are gone. Of course I can't leave well enough alone and now I want to have a coax out for one of my powered subs. The Bose has good base but when I really crank it up I want to hear s*** rattle and that requires one of my subs. I have a work around for now, the solo 10 only has 3 inputs, no outputs, so I use the digital optical output of my dish receiver to feed the audio into the Bose, then I use a coax output on the dish hopper to feed the sub the same signal. Only issue is, volume is independent, so when I turn up the volume on the Bose I have to manually "physically on the sub" adjust the gain. It gets me by when I want to crank it up but I would love to tap the signal in the Bose with something similar to what guys have been using in the car and feed that signal into the sub. Just kicking it around before I try to take this thing apart. I didn't know if that would in any way degrade the sound quality of the Bose. Appreciate any input.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

BiGMaC

Scott... Can't help you with the Bose and connections.... But the quick answer is to put an AV amp on your system and let it control the volume when you adjust it up or down... Be sure to get one with a sub volume limiter to keep from destorying your house or subs at high volume.

BTW... This is what I have used as a single sub on my system for the last 10-12 years... It is linear from 0 to 100 HZ... I passed it at 30Hz as subs are to be felt and not heard....Even though it is small (13 inch cube) it bumps hard and the bass will thump you in the chest... Awesome! http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=8

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Scott4957

That looks like a beast! Yeah I was trying to avoid the AV amp, just getting back to all the stuff I had in there before. This is just for the living room and kitchen area, I have another system for the rest of the house and outside. The Bose is all self powered as is the sub I want to use. Not a huge deal just thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any ideas.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned