• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

*HOW-TO* 2013+ Brakes on a 2010-2012...THEY WORK!!

Started by timbo, December 27, 2015, 10:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo

BLUF: Contrary to popular belief by people whom have never tried to fit these pieces yet insist upon stating things as fact, the front brakes from the 2013+ Taurus will work on the 2010-2012.  Makes it a great and easy upgrade.  I don't know the specifics as to when the brakes changed, but I think it was the 2013+ PP and all 14+ had 13.8" rotors.

Some background: I have a 2011 SHO and I haven't really posted on here since I'm not really modding my car too much.  In an effort to improve the weaknesses, mainly brakes, I have been researching all upgrades for the 2010-2012 (TCE, simply making my own Wilwood kit, or fitting the newer if it will work).  I did the 2013+ Master Cylinder and Booster about a year ago and that helped, but I have overheated 3 sets of stock brakes (covered under warranty) in the first 3 months of owning the car.  Upgraded to Powerstop rotors and ceramic pads, which helped the higher temp, but still would get too hot.  Finally, I ended up finding the front rotors and brackets for the 2013+ really cheap and decided to give them a test fit.  All of my searching was done using the 2014 MY to ensure I was getting everything correct.  After finding the bracket fits right on with the correct clearance on the rotor, I ended up looking for the rest.  Found the rest at RockAuto.

Size comparison 10-12/13+:
Front rotors: 12.8"(325mm)x1.1" / 13.8"(350mm)x1.25"
Rear rotors: 13"x0.4" solid / 13.5"x.75" vented
Caliper difference is negligible.  Piston size is the same 47.5mm (x2) front and 43mm rear.

So here is the breakdown of the parts, tools and a how to guide.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not liable for any injury and/or damage resulting from improper installation and/or servicing of the brake system.  Ensure you test your brakes at low speeds away from busy streets and gradually increase speed for proper pad bedding procedure.

The parts are not for the PP, but are designated as "Heavy Duty".  The PP parts hare harder to find.  I find these to be just as good, if not better. 

Parts (All motorcraft except rotors and pads)
Calipers: BRCF208/BRCF209
Caliper Brackets: BRBC28/BRBC29
Rotors: Raybestos 680982
Pads: Raybestos EHT1611H
Hoses:  BRHF129/BRHF64
Brake fluid: enough for the entire system if you would like

Tools (in order of use)
19mm socket (lug nuts)
17mm socket (caliper pin bolts)
Cut up metal hangar or something to hold the caliper
18mm socket (caliper bracket bolts)
Torx T-40 (rotor retaining bolt)
8mm wrench and socket (brake shield bolts)
A bunch of rags (pretty obvious why)
13mm tube wrench (hard line to brake line nut)
10mm (brake line bracket bolt)
14mm (banjo bolt)
10mm closed end wrench (bleeder)

Obviously jack the car up and support it properly with jack stands.  Remove the wheels (19mm socket) and look at your inadequate brakes for a minute.  I turned my wheels in the direction of the side I am working to make room for a breaker bar.

Start by removing the caliper pin bolts (17mm).

Remove the caliper off the pads and take your metal hanger (or whatever you want to use to hold the caliper up) and secure it so it doesn't hang...makes it easier to remove the hose assembly later.  Remove the pads.

Next remove the caliper bracket bolts (18mm) and pull the bracket off.

Remove the rotor retaining bolt (T-40) and take the rotor off.

If you want, compare the size of the rotors.  Just a good visual.  You can also see the nice discoloration from the heat and some nice glazing.

Remove the brake shield by using the 8mm wrench on the top bolt as a socket won't fit.  There's 4 bolts total.
A nice ratcheting one is best, but I found mine after I got done.

Clean up the hub mating surface.  I use anti-seize on the hub.  Ensure you clean up the stud threads if you get any on there.

Install the rotor and secure it with the retaining bolt (T-40)

Put the new caliper bracket on (18mm).  I torqued mine to 90ft lbs.  That figure coincides to every other M12x1.75 bolt I have ever dealt with.

Comparison of the pad size.

Install the pads.  Ensure you install the stainless steel shims/tab things that come with the new pads first.  Some pads are side specific (inside/outside).  Mine had different bumps (as shown below) and would interfere with the caliper on the outside so it wouldn't be flush.

Remove the 2 pins from the caliper brackets and leave the dust boots attached to the bracket.  If they are not installed, shove some grease into the hole and install the dust boots first as they are secured internal to the bracket, not externally like most.  Grease up the pins and install with the one that has the rubber bushing on top.  Again, I torqued these to 90ft lbs since they are M12.  If anyone has the correct torque specs, go ahead and post them.

Take your rags and place them on the control arm right under the hose connection.  Helps grab the brake fluid.

*Top off your brake fluid reservoir*

Pop the ABS sensor wire out of the bracket.  Take the 13mm tube wrench and loosen the fitting.  You can remove it if you want, but I simply loosened it.  Next remove the hose bracket bolt (10mm socket).  I installed the new hose/bracket leaving it slightly lose to be able to move it to easily screw the tube nut in.  Then I finished removing the old hose and quickly connected the new hose.  Tighten up the hose bracket bolt and then finish tightening the tube nut.

One issue I ran into was the left side tubing nut had flared when it was installed.  This made it difficult to remove as it was large than the threads.  It also made it impossible to reinstall.  I capped off the lines and was able to take a file and rotated the fitting while I held the file against the flared out part.  Took a while, but worked nicely.

Connect the hose to the caliper (14mm).  I didn't connect the hose to the caliper to allow it to gravity bleed.  That's personal preference.  I also left the bleeder open and connected my bleeder hose/container to gravity bleed.  Clean up your rags and finish bleeding the brakes.

Here's the result.  The fronts fit perfectly.  You can reuse the front hoses if interested, but since mine were original I decided to buy new ones.  Everything fits just as OEM.

Now I finally got the rears done and some time to post about it.

Parts
Calipers/brackets: got used off ebay.  disassembled, plated, rebuilt.
Rotors: Ford BRR253 (also sent to get plated)
Pads: Raybestos EHT1612H
Hoses: Raybestos BH382852

Tools (in order of use)
Prybar/screwdriver (or something to remove the p-brake cable)
13mm (caliper bolts)
15mm (bracket bolts)
T-40 (rotor bolt)
8mm wrench (dust shield)
Die grinder or heavy duty tin snips (cutting the dust shield)
channel locks or other pliers
Rags
13mm tube wrench (hard line to brake line nut)
16mm/ 5/8 tube wrench (hose fitting at the caliper)
10mm closed end wrench (bleeder)

First, like the front, lift the car, support, remove the wheels.  Then remove the parking brake cable.  I used a prybar and a pair of pliers to compress the lever and maneuver the cable end.  Then grab your 13mm wrench and remove the caliper bolt.

Pull off the caliper

Use the 15mm to remove caliper bracket bolts and pull off the caliper.

Use the T-40 and pull the rotor bolt off, and the rotor.

The 8mm wrench will get the dust shield bolts out.  Just like the front.

Now grab your die grinder or heavy duty tin snips and cut the dust shield at the most narrow part.

The pliers/channel locks are used to gradually bend/fold the metal to where you can remove the dust shield.

Now that it's removed, clean up the hub flange and throw some grease or antiseize on.

Install the rotor and rotor bolt with the T-40.

Install the caliper bracket with the 15mm.  Torque to ~90ft lbs like the front.

Install the pads, again paying attention to the bumps to make sure they do not interfere with anything.  They were different again.

Install the calipers with the bolts (13mm) and torque to ~35ft lbs.

Now, set the rags below the brake hose connection if you want.  THere isn't anything underneath, so it's not required.  Install the hose onto the caliper first, as it screws in straight.  Loosen the tube nut from the hard line to the rubber line and back it all the way out.  Then pull the retaining clip and the old caliper will fall down.  Put the new hose up and align the tube and tube nut.  Install the clip to retain it and screw in the tube nut.  Tighten it down.  Reinstall the p-brake cable the reverse of how it was removed.  Bleed the brakes and you are done.

Let me know if there are any questions.  I will follow up with my impressions after I get some miles.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

SHOdded

Cool project, looking forward to developments, and good luck :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Scott4957

Nice job! what were the symptoms of the over heated brakes and how was it getting them replaced under warranty?
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

AJP turbo

I didnt know anybody said the retrofit wasnt possible lol

I thought it was pretty well agreed upon this was a straight forward project that a novice could do in a few hours let alone a day lol......nice job though i guess lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

timbo

Quote from: Scott4957 on December 27, 2015, 10:23:44 PM
Nice job! what were the symptoms of the over heated brakes and how was it getting them replaced under warranty?
I guess it wouldn't have been warranty but my local dealer would replace them for free.  I brought it in saying the brakes were not working properly.  I had pictures on my old computer, but that has since passed and unfortunately, that folder was not backed up.  The rotors were very discolored in the middle with surface fractures and obvious glazing.  Daily 30 mile commute on country roads at that time.

Quote from: ajpturbo on December 27, 2015, 10:35:59 PM

I thought it was pretty well agreed upon this was a straight forward project that a novice could do in a few hours let alone a day lol......nice job though i guess lol

Well, honestly, I have not really been on this particular forum...mostly on some of the others where people swore up and down the entire spindle assembly had to be changed to make these work.  After a quick search, that is still what is said here.  I hope people see this as a viable alternative to anything else.

The entire front "kit" cost me under $500.  RockAuto has a majority of the parts pretty cheap (OEM calipers for about $80) and I got the rotors (Raybestos Advanced Tech).  I'll get the part #s after I finish the install.

SHOnUup

Nice job Timbo!!!!

Don't mind AJ, as you see he has a hard time saying anything nice....track record is one that proves this.

Keep us posted on this please.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

shotime99

Quote from: timbo on December 27, 2015, 10:08:47 PM
BLUF: Contrary to popular belief by people whom have never tried to fit these pieces yet insist upon stating things as fact, the front brakes from the 2013+ Taurus will work on the 2010-2012.  Makes it a great and easy upgrade.

Some background: I have a 2011 SHO and I haven't really posted on here since I'm not really modding my car too much.  In an effort to improve the weaknesses, mainly brakes, I have been researching all upgrades for the 2010-2012 (TCE, simply making my own Wilwood kit, or fitting the newer if it will work).  I did the 2013+ Master Cylinder and Booster about a year ago and that helped, but I have overheated 3 sets of stock brakes (covered under warranty) in the first 3 months of owning the car.  Upgraded to Powerstop rotors and ceramic pads, which helped the higher temp, but still would get too hot.  Finally, I ended up finding the front rotors and brackets for the 2013+ really cheap and decided to give them a test fit.  After finding the bracket fits right on with the correct clearance on the rotor, I ended up looking for the rest.  Found the rest at RockAuto.

I have only installed the R side.  The L will be done tomorrow along with bleeding.  Depending on the time, I will install the rear.

Size comparison 10-12/13+:
Front rotors: 12.8"x1.1" / 13.8"x1.25"
Rear rotors: 13" solid / 13.5" vented
Caliper difference is negligible.  Piston size is the same 47.5mm (x2) front and 43mm rear.

Here's the result.  The fronts fit perfectly.  You can reuse the front hoses if interested, but since mine were original I decided to buy new ones.  Everything fits just as OEM.

I'll take more pictures as I install the L side so it'll be a "How-to".  FYI, the dust shield needs to be removed, only mod required.

so does this mean with the 2013+ performance package brakes?? It was my understanding that only the pp car had bigger brakes?? no?
2014 Taurus SHO w/PP and H & R spring kit

timbo

Quote from: ajpturbo on December 27, 2015, 10:35:59 PM

I searched for about an hour trying to find anything about the 13+ brakes fitting on the 2010-2012 cars and came up with nothing.  I did find 4 or 5 instances saying that they would definitely not fit, which is obviously false.  If you can find anything stating this, please share that link.

The reason it took me so long was I have another project going on and really was not in a hurry to get the car done.  I also was ensuring they actually fit and I took a bunch of pictures of the left side to document so that someone that is a "novice" could do this easily without needing to look through a toolbox.  That will be my next post.  It's also raining and the car is in the driveway.

Dxlnt1

Just to clarify, you replaced master cylinder, booster, caliper, rotors and pads?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

timbo

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 28, 2015, 09:39:47 PM
Just to clarify, you replaced master cylinder, booster, caliper, rotors and pads?

Yes, but I did the Master Cylinder and booster upgrade about a year ago.  That helped the feel, but did not help the heat.  Since the piston area is the same between the 2 brake systems, the "feel" will only be changed by the increased mechanical advantage from the larger rotors.  A lot of feel can be modified with the type of pad.  The ceramic pads I had on the original brakes worked pretty well and kept working even when the rotor got really hot.  A lot had to be attributed to the slotted rotors, but as you can see, those got pretty well destroyed. 

Bosscav

Quote from: timbo on December 28, 2015, 11:28:48 PM
Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 28, 2015, 09:39:47 PM

Yes, but I did the Master Cylinder and booster upgrade about a year ago.  That helped the feel, but did not help the heat.  Since the piston area is the same between the 2 brake systems, the "feel" will only be changed by the increased mechanical advantage from the larger rotors.  A lot of feel can be modified with the type of pad.  The ceramic pads I had on the original brakes worked pretty well and kept working even when the rotor got really hot.  A lot had to be attributed to the slotted rotors, but as you can see, those got pretty well destroyed.
Did you happen to do a write up for that procedure or did you use the old one floating around.

My car's brakes are terrible and I have already spent so much money trying to make them better.

It would actually mean a lot to me if I could give you a call some time to discuss it. It's probably easier to ask a bunch of questions over the phone.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, White Platinum Tri-coat Metallic, 402B options package, 20" Nickel Aluminum wheels, purchased 6/26/2014 with only 17k miles. Previous owner: Little old woman who bought it for the heated leather seats...

bamsho

Awesome write up and great leg work.  Sounds like too, you will need the MC and Booster retrofit to make good use of the bigger brakes.  Glad it all worked out great.  GOOD JOB!!
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

pejohnson

Nice write up Timbo. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

EcoPowerParts

Awesome job, love the research and this is why this forum exists :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

66 Galaxie

Flex and Explorer owners can do similar upgrade too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost