• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 SHO amp/sub install

Started by Capri83RS, December 27, 2015, 04:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capri83RS

So, I read through a lot of the audio threads, and SHOBoats was probably the most inspiring, for me.

I'm doing something essentially similar, with a stealth box in the spare tire well, but utilizing a single 12" subwoofer.

The parts being used:
SPL 12" 2600-watt max subwoofer
Planet Audio 3000-watt monoblock Class D amplifier
Audio Control LC2-i line converter

This is my first attempt at any kind of custom enclosure, and I'll probably have to make a second one before this is all done, but I got enough materials to make it happen!!  What I'm envisioning is a top firing sealed box with a raised floor frame, to keep the packages in the rear off the woofer and give the trunk a level flat floor surface.

Started with this:

Worked into this:

I drilled the spot welds out of this bracket and popped it out.  No more spare tire or jack/tools bolt down capability.

I had some issues with this box, namely the fact that while I calculated my airspace volume correctly, I didn't have the right figure for my speaker. D'OH!!  This first enclosure ended up being too tall, so I made a second one, with the right airspace volume specs, so I was able to keep the same width, add 1.5" in length, and lose 3" in height.

Pictures of Enclosure 2.0 are in a post below.  I'll follow up with more, as I get there.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2013 Mustang GT Track Package w/ Recaro's
2014 Taurus SHO

Scott4957

In for updates. I like this setup but getting it to sound good in the car and not just bounce around the trunk is what I am curious about. I have the MKS so the pass through is just a small hole. Maybe removing the rear sub so it open can can pass through the hole, keeping the covering on so it looks stock inside the car? Good luck and keep us up to date with plenty of pictures.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

Capri83RS

As I expected, the first enclosure, while workable, was too tall :/

Also, I brain farted on my airspace, I only need 1.25 cubic feet, so I was able to drop the height significantly, and still maintain the other dimensions, to get the floor height I'm looking for.  My cuts are a lot better on Enclosure 2.0 (as I've been calling it), so it looks significantly better.

1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

Capri83RS

Finished the enclosure, happy with the final result.  Not mounted in the trunk, just sitting in there, for the moment.  Throwing in the towel for the night, it's 11pm.

1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

jbeez

after doing dual 12's I've come to the conclusion a single 12 would have probably been perfect

https://goo.gl/photos/e6yTfkg1vqQiPt3k8

this box must weigh 300lbs lol
2014 PP SHO Darkside Metallic
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

Capri83RS

Quote from: jbeez on December 28, 2015, 12:09:04 PM
after doing dual 12's I've come to the conclusion a single 12 would have probably been perfect

WOW that's a huge box.  You even have handles on it, to assist with moving LOL.

I finished up the amp rack, and it's in the car.  I need to trim about 1/2" off of it, for it to lay flat, and then I need to build the subfloor that will go on top of it and cover everything up.  Tired of being bent over the saw horses, drilling, cutting, and crawling around in the trunk.

I currently have a working sound system with a 3000-watt monoblock amp and a 12" subwoofer running at 1-ohm.  Now I have to tune it.

Actually, now I have to clean the garage out, so when my wife gets back into town tomorrow, she has somewhere to park her car!!

I'll put up some more pictures later.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

Dxlnt1

For that reason, I experimented with my dual 12's. Folded back seat down to test sound quality. Then I ended up making a permanent fix. Sound quality much much better with air being able to move.

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Scott4957

Good lord that is huge! You ate up a 20sqft trunk!

jbeez

This is my entire sho album, i've redone things on my car so there are some earlier pics of wiring and amps, then I replaced amps, rewired things, etc.

https://goo.gl/photos/S4S7S5q5wMY9rQat9

I cleaned up all the underhood wiring, moved some fuses to under the sub box because new amp was longer for highs, i STILL don't have my highs tied in and im still running factory highs.  I need to solder a connector for the speaker wire to interface with the factory speaker wires, im using 8pin PC power supply extensions cables that I cut in half and use for connectors.  lets me switch back to stock easily.

I've strained my lumbar more than once moving that box and I do lift weights in a gym, i have over 400lb squats and 450lbs deadlift but that is just such an awkward movement to get the box in and out of the trunk it can irritate the hell out of my discs. Its a beast!
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

SHOdded

Great informational photos in that album, jbeez!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jbeez

Quote from: SHOdded on December 29, 2015, 11:33:41 AM
Great informational photos in that album, jbeez!

too bad my phone picture taking skills leave alot to be desired, bad lighting, blurry focus, no organization lol.

If you have any questions about the things I did and why I did them just ask, I hope it helps anyone embarking on some audio installs, I made a few mistakes and ended up going back, the biggest thing I had to redo were my ground connections, I got almost OCD about it because they can cause alot of issues if they're bad, more than not doing a ground upgrade at all maybe. Always upgrade your ground though if you're upgrading the +12v

Scott4957

Quote from: jbeez on December 29, 2015, 03:43:59 PM
If you have any questions about the things I did and why I did them just ask, I hope it helps anyone embarking on some audio installs, I made a few mistakes and ended up going back, the biggest thing I had to redo were my ground connections, I got almost OCD about it because they can cause alot of issues if they're bad, more than not doing a ground upgrade at all maybe. Always upgrade your ground though if you're upgrading the +12v

I'm curious about your pass through and any sound deadening. It looks like you took the speakers out of the rear deck from the pictures, where you just putting in upgrades or did you leave some or all out for the subs? Also, did you use any dynomat or something similar on the trunk?

That looks like one beast of a system, are those additional batteries or some type of capacitor in the spare wheel well? I can't imagine how hard that must hit, its been many years since I built a system even remotely close to that but it sure was fun. I appreciate the work you did to make a nice form fitting cover to make it all look like one flat piece. I did the same with a Acura RSX-S hatch install but it was dished rather than flat, with the amps facing out and the subs facing in. Please post a picture of the finished product with that cover installed. 

Thanks,
Scott

Capri83RS

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 28, 2015, 09:32:18 PM

For that reason, I experimented with my dual 12's. Folded back seat down to test sound quality. Then I ended up making a permanent fix. Sound quality much much better with air being able to move.

I think I'm going to have to do something similar with mine, as I'm not getting much through the rear seats or rear deck.

I'm going to redo the amp rack at a later date, so it sit's flush to the floor (.5" too long front-to-back right now), and so it covers the complete front of the floor area.  I'll have to dynamat it at the same time, as I have a lot of trunk rattle now :/
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

Capri83RS

Quote from: jbeez on December 29, 2015, 11:28:51 AM
This is my entire sho album, i've redone things on my car so there are some earlier pics of wiring and amps, then I replaced amps, rewired things, etc.

https://goo.gl/photos/S4S7S5q5wMY9rQat9

I cleaned up all the underhood wiring, moved some fuses to under the sub box because new amp was longer for highs, i STILL don't have my highs tied in and im still running factory highs.  I need to solder a connector for the speaker wire to interface with the factory speaker wires, im using 8pin PC power supply extensions cables that I cut in half and use for connectors.  lets me switch back to stock easily.

I've strained my lumbar more than once moving that box and I do lift weights in a gym, i have over 400lb squats and 450lbs deadlift but that is just such an awkward movement to get the box in and out of the trunk it can irritate the hell out of my discs. Its a beast!
Woooo that's a way more in-depth install than I undertook LOL
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

Capri83RS

This sounds 100% better than stock, but 10x better with one of the seats folded down.  I think I'm going to do something like Dxint1 and open it up a little bit in the middle.  I also have a lot of trunk rattle, so I need to invest in some dynamat.  I think I'm going to redo the amp rack to cover everything in front of the subwoofer, and the current one is ~1/2" too long front-to-back.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the result.  Obviously, I still need to build the floor that goes on top, but more material is required, and it doesn't affect the sound.

Amp rack in progress

Installed, mostly wired.  The ground ended up coming back towards the rear of the chassis.  Power was routed up the drivers side through the firewall near the brake booster.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO