• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

60-100?

Started by Scott4957, November 11, 2015, 08:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott4957

I'm curious if there is a standard for measuring improvement in your tune/build. For example it was common to do 60-100 pulls in the Mazda while in 4th gear. This is what the tuners liked to use while logging and doing revisions and the drivers used to see marked improvements. Obviously using 0-60 or 1/4 mile times would not work as there are too many factors. With the 60-100 I would just calculate DA so I could correct and wasn't pissed "like i was the first time" when I lost time due to atmospheric conditions. Has this group settled on any standard like this for the sake of tuning and measuring the performance of the car while removing as many outside influences as possible?
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

AJP turbo

Who care about times or speed...get the car tuned properly the rest will follow....
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Scott4957

Quote from: ajpturbo on November 11, 2015, 09:16:55 PM
Who care about times or speed...get the car tuned properly the rest will follow....

???....Times and speed are what you would usually want to improve upon. What I'm talking about is a way to tell if the tuning and mods you are doing are improving performance rather than paying for dyno time for every change or spending time at the track. What i described is what you have to do for your tuner if you are getting custom work and are not on the dyno. I guess you were never in the unfortunate position of buying a bunch of crap, bolting it to your car and losing 3 tenths at the track LOL. So what types of logs and runs do the turners look for on this car? What is the standard?

AJP turbo

You can't  directly control speed and et's...but u can control spark curves and air fuel ratios....get them perfect and the car runs what it runs

A 3rd gear sweep from 2000-redline and a standing start to however fast u can go is a good place to start

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Scott4957

I follow you, but not sure we are on the same page. I think you answered my question, a log from 2k to red line in 3rd is what your tuner is asking for? Looks like you are in the middle of a custom street tune.

Thanks,
Scott

AJP turbo

I am my tuner lol

And im not in the middle of a custom tune im in a never ending state of freaking tuning

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Scott4957

Quote from: ajpturbo on November 11, 2015, 10:30:19 PM
I am my tuner lol

And im not in the middle of a custom tune im in a never ending state of freaking tuning

Yes, that is the problem with being your own tuner. I'd rather be my own grandpa LOL.

SHOnUup

Most mods besides the tune are only adding a little HP...so it's going to be hard to see/feel a major difference when adding, say, downpipes...time slips is where it's at IMO

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Scott4957

Quote from: SHOnUup on November 12, 2015, 08:25:15 AM
Most mods besides the tune are only adding a little HP...so it's going to be hard to see/feel a major difference when adding, say, downpipes...time slips is where it's at IMO

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, for sure. The difference between comparing 60-100 vs time slips is it took human error out of it. One gear, no wheel spin "usually" etc. It started as a way to log for your tuner, they could see what they needed to make revisions, owners were also using it as a measure of performance gains without the need for a driver mod. I was curious if you were to get a tune from say Unleashed and you were sending logs to them for revisions, what types of runs where they asking for while logging?

We are lucky enough to be able to compare slips, much more consistency with an auto and AWD, it would be pointless with the MS3, which is one reason I wanted to get rid of it. Three of us had nearly an identical setup on our MS3's and they would all pull my stock MKS in a roll race no doubt, not a chance from a dig. I never took mine to the track but the other two guys never did better than a 13.9, just too hard to get it out of the hole, especially when you suck at driving like I do. Loving this AWD!

ZSHO

Its crucial to monitor your AFR,and most tuners will want you to run a 1/4 to evaluate you logs and to see if a new revision is needed,based on your current mods. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Scott4957

Quote from: ZSHO on November 12, 2015, 09:26:49 AM
Its crucial to monitor your AFR,and most tuners will want you to run a 1/4 to evaluate you logs and to see if a new revision is needed,based on your current mods. Z

Got ya, I think most of what was being done with the Mazda was tuning for WOT. I'm near St. Louis, just need to find a good tuner that will put it on a dyno and be done with it. Guess I could make the drive to MI.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Scott4957 on November 12, 2015, 09:41:17 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on November 12, 2015, 09:26:49 AM

Got ya, I think most of what was being done with the Mazda was tuning for WOT. I'm near St. Louis, just need to find a good tuner that will put it on a dyno and be done with it. Guess I could make the drive to MI.
Torrie of Unleashed tuning can remote dyno tune as well.....i wouldn't just let anybody tune these things.

FoMoCoSHO

I usually send Torrie 1st through third WOT. We are now deep enough that I'm well into 4th before I run out of on ramp. Drag strip is great for logs as well, I got 4 good logs my last outing. I like that because it shows what the car is doing under repeated stress.

Scott4957

[/quote]
Torrie of Unleashed tuning can remote dyno tune as well.....i wouldn't just let anybody tune these things.
[/quote]

Thats good to know, that was going to be my next question, thank you.