• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

lots of of oil in intake pipes!

Started by shawmcbigdis, November 07, 2015, 09:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawmcbigdis

So just recently picked up our 2013 Flex with 40k on the clock. Today I decided to take off the hot pipe with the BOV's to see if I can find any trace of oil buildup in there, and maybe vent the BOV's to atmospher if there is some oil jsut to give some of it an out before I do something real to help.

So once I got the pipe off (which was an ordeal in and of itself) I was shocked out how much oil was in there. When I pulled the pipe off the back turbo I could feel the oil oozing down. Here is what it looked like when I got my phone down there to take a pic;

Way more oil that I expected. And purely oil too, not the water/gas/oil stuff I see people getting out of catch cans. SO is that jsut because the other liquids don't condense in the pipes as readily as the oil, or is something else going on here? I thought it was a little odd that the PCV input into the pipes is after that turbo, but the bulk of the oil was down at that turbo, meaning it had to go "up wind" so to speak to get therer. BUt then again, it is also downhill. So I'm not sure.

Is that just PCV gunk, or is it maybe a sign of bad turbo seals?

If thats jsut from the PCV, then I tink I am goign to def try my UPR F150 Mega can idea. I will mount the can where the stock air filter was, since I now have the MDesign;

Tons of room there for the bigger can, and should stay a lot cooler than over on the passenger shock tower. I just need to work out the connectors and hose length.
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shawmcbigdis

Quote from: SHOdded on November 07, 2015, 10:20:16 PM
Image links:
Oil in Intake
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TgtX-uC-JE4nhbyBKeFUlQ6MGdBrsRZAXQ/view?pli=1
MDesign
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xB8Y_Ytnd4ebV7iO0qTLINGA_0p48Xvdyw/view?pli=1

I'd say back turbo replacement time, more likely than PCV issues.

SHOdded, thanks, didn't realize the pics didn't show up.

Well crap. That's not really what I wanted to hear. I assume the turbos are covered under the 60k power-train warranty? Anyone have any experience getting them replaced under warranty and have any tips for me? I mean, how do I even get Ford to look into it? Jus tell them I was just snooping around the engine bay and found a ton of oil in the pipes? Anything I can datalog to help my case?

Thanks
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

FoMoCoSHO

Just tell them you heard it could be an issue and since you purchased used you wanted to check.

SHOdded

Gasoline engine turbos are covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty, reading the warranty guide.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shawmcbigdis

Dropped by the dealer yesterday and showed them the pics of the oil on the turbo. They took one look and agreed something is not right, and it should be covered by warranty, so I will be dropping it off tonight. Hopefully all goes well and we get it back soon, and better than ever.

Then I can finally install the intake and tune  ;D
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

SHOdded

shawmcbigdis

So I dropped it off Thursday evening. Got a call on Saturday, and they said that "small amount of oil" is normal there. I said they were nuts. They agreed to keep it a few more day sand drive it around some to see if they could see more oil, and the cause of it.

I'm not very hopeful at this point.

So, if it is the turbo seal, will it be obvious on the outside of the turbo also, or does it only leak oil inside the compressor, and thus in the intake pipes?
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

Brucelinc

I cringe when I hear that a dealer wants to "keep it a few days and drive it around."   But that is just me...

shawmcbigdis

Well after having it since last Thursday, they call yesterday afternoon and say they can't find any leaks, and "that small amount of oil is normal". Seriously? Oil pouring out of the intake pipe is normal? I'm not sure if I should try a different dealer, or just let it go, put a catch can on and monitor it myself. If it continues after the catch can, I guess I will try a different dealer and see if I can get any further.
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

SHOdded

And this is why people move on to Lincoln dealerships, they see the EB engines a lot more than the Ford ones do, and have been more familiar & responsive with EB issues.

I would try another dealership, for giggles if nothing else.  Catchcan sounds like a good idea though, as does checking & cleaning the CAC periodically.

peppelepugh

Quote from: SHOdded on November 18, 2015, 01:15:54 PM
And this is why people move on to Lincoln dealerships, they see the EB engines a lot more than the Ford ones do, and have been more familiar & responsive with EB issues.

I would try another dealership, for giggles if nothing else.  Catchcan sounds like a good idea though, as does checking & cleaning the CAC periodically.

I know Lincoln is part of ford and all of that. But IF needed, I could take my SHO to the Lincoln dealership and they will honor my warranty? (sorry for being a thread pirate on this one!!!)
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

shawmcbigdis

Well regardless, I am def never go back to that dealer.

I picked the car up yesterday afternoon, and headed straight to a small town about 1.5 hours away for work. I get to the freeway, move to the fast lane, and punch it to get up to speed. That's when the surprising thing happened. There was no power, but lots of wooshing noises. At first I was very confused, then I realized what had happened. When I found a safe place to pull over, sure enough the charge pipe wasn't even on the rear turbo. Hell of a way to hear the turbo noises though.

So if anyone is in the OKC area, avoid Reynolds Ford like the plague.
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

CroR1

you should have called a tow, and tow direct to them and have them pick up the tab. That would have made their day lol.

Quote from: shawmcbigdis on November 19, 2015, 11:15:19 AM

I picked the car up yesterday afternoon, and headed straight to a small town about 1.5 hours away for work. I get to the freeway, move to the fast lane, and punch it to get up to speed. That's when the surprising thing happened. There was no power, but lots of wooshing noises. At first I was very confused, then I realized what had happened. When I found a safe place to pull over, sure enough the charge pipe wasn't even on the rear turbo. Hell of a way to hear the turbo noises though.

shawmcbigdis

Quote from: CroR1 on November 19, 2015, 11:22:37 AM
you should have called a tow, and tow direct to them and have them pick up the tab. That would have made their day lol.

Quote from: shawmcbigdis on November 19, 2015, 11:15:19 AM

I thought about it, but I was already running late, and that would have destroyed my day time wise. Besides, I don't want them ever touching my car again.
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map