• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Catch can versus Meth injection

Started by shawmcbigdis, November 06, 2015, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawmcbigdis

So if meth injection stops the carbon buildup on the valves, through "washing" them, is a catch can even needed if running meth injection?

Seems like it would be redundant. Sure, a catch can would stop oil buildup in the rest of the intake tract, but is that a real problem? The real concern is the carbon on the valves correct? Sure after a few hundred thousand miles, the oil in the rest of the intake might be a concern, but that doesn't seem like nearly as big a deal, and a lot easier to clean.

Thoughts?
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

Gray Brick

Great point!!!

I ran a catch can and had very, very little oil after 10,000 miles. I decided to remove it.

I do run through about a gallon of meth a week.

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

Sabtaj1

Quote from: Gray Brick on November 06, 2015, 12:42:37 PM
Great point!!!

I ran a catch can and had very, very little oil after 10,000 miles. I decided to remove it.

A gallon a week????   Holy Santa clause s--t!!!  Sorry sir...  You are an addict.  Hahahaha.
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

shawmcbigdis

Quote from: Gray Brick on November 06, 2015, 12:42:37 PM
Great point!!!

So did you have Meth the whole time you had the catch can? Which can was it?

And yeah, a gallon a week sounds like a lot! I think I'd rather go catch can, than add that much to my "fuel" bill. Especially since this is technically the wifes car, and would hate for her to run out and blow the engine because I'm running a meth tune but she didn't put any in.
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

glock-coma

Catch can will still catch oil vapors before they have a chance to be burned in the combustion process.
Meth will just clean valves will  not prevent oil vapors 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

And don't forget, gunk builds up in the intercooler as well, just waiting to cause mischief.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

I don't think it's an  either/ or scenario for these two products. They play in different focus areas. Can is prevention, meth is purely performance. Meth might cross over and assist in the cleanliness of the engine but I'd argue its a happy symptom of using meth, not a primary reason.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

panther427

If you really wanted to use meth as just a cleaning aid with a small power bump just set it up to use standard washer fluid. Its cheap and available any place.
2013 SHO

shawmcbigdis

I don't mean I would want to use it purely as a valve cleaner. I was just wondering if using meth negates the need for a catch can. I understand, and would use it mainly for it's performance benefit, but it would be nice if it made a catch can unnecessary.

I get gunk would build up in the IC, and intake pipes, but my theory is that those are a lot easier to clean out than the carbon buildup on the valves/cylinders. Then again, I haven't removed the intercooler on the Flex yet, and just getting the one hot pipe off today to vent my BOV's to atmosphere took me a couple hours, so maybe it's not that easy (starting another thread about what I found then, which leads me to believe we probably should use both). Man that is one cramped engine bay, talk about 10 pounds of sh#t in a 5 pound bag.

How much performance boost would you get using it with just washer fluid? I do like the idea of it being a lot cheaper, and a lot less flammable.  But I also don't want to spend $800 or so on the system and not get much performance out of it. In that case I'd just spend the $400 on the catch can and be done.
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

Sabtaj1

you can get a snow stage 2 kit for 400-500$...  And you can get snow boost juice (49%meth/51%water) for like $7 somthin a gallon.  Me, I just buy a 5 gallon jug of M1 and do all my own mixing. 5 gallons for like$36 can make 10 gallons of 50/50 mix if ya want.  Just so ya know.  I just cant see spending that much on our catch can kits.  They are so much cheaper for other vehicles.  The meth would be a lot funner IMO.  I enjoy having it.
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/