• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PA inspection and tuning questions

Started by tlundjr, October 28, 2015, 04:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Quote from: tlundjr on November 04, 2015, 11:40:58 PM
Can there be codes when there isn't a CEL? I did have to have the fuel pump replaced already. Could that have something to do with it? Could it be because when its tuned it is requiring more fuel coming from the injectors, which is causing the issue?? Is the injector cleaner from autozone even worth trying?
Yes, there can be codes that do not set a CEL. 
The fuel pump replacement was for the NoStart condition? 
Yes, tuning will place heavier demands on the injectors (at heavy throttle), which will reveal weaknesses that would otherwise be well concealed when stock.  Couldn't hurt to run some Techron or BG 44K through the gas tank, but be prepared to replace injector(s) if there is indeed a problem.

Pull the codes with the tuning device, see what it tells you.  Do a datalog.  Then try cleaning the MAP sensors with MAF cleaner, and datalog again.  That would be a nice, simple fix :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

tlundjr

Quote from: SHOdded on November 05, 2015, 02:51:29 AM
Quote from: tlundjr on November 04, 2015, 11:40:58 PM
Can there be codes when there isn't a CEL? I did have to have the fuel pump replaced already. Could that have something to do with it? Could it be because when its tuned it is requiring more fuel coming from the injectors, which is causing the issue?? Is the injector cleaner from autozone even worth trying?
Yes, there can be codes that do not set a CEL. 
The fuel pump replacement was for the NoStart condition? 
Yes, tuning will place heavier demands on the injectors (at heavy throttle), which will reveal weaknesses that would otherwise be well concealed when stock.  Couldn't hurt to run some Techron or BG 44K through the gas tank, but be prepared to replace injector(s) if there is indeed a problem.

Pull the codes with the tuning device, see what it tells you.  Do a datalog.  Then try cleaning the MAP sensors with MAF cleaner, and datalog again.  That would be a nice, simple fix :)

The fuel pump decided to go when I was driving home from vacation in July, Started and ran fine until I got on the highway and then died and couldn't get it started. local dealership did the warranty work. Would the injectors be covered under warranty? If not something I could do myself? I will check for codes over lunch. I can also do the datalog, but since i'm pretty new to the tuning scene, not really sure what i'm looking at or looking for. Could a bad injector have caused the fuel pump to go?

SHOdded

Nope a bad fuel injector should not affect the fuel pump.  Yes, fuel injectors are covered under B2B & powertrain & emissions warranties.
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2013Warranty.pdf

You CAN do injector replacement yourself, given you are "handy" and can follow R&R and safety instructions :)  You can run crude tests on them, but not really comprehensive studies.  That is the pro's arena.

When datalogging, we are looking at lamda, oxygen sensor voltage, fuel pressures, and fuel trims (to name just a few items) to see how the fuel injection/ignition/emissions control & feedback system is behaving.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

tlundjr

So I have my inspection scheduled for next Friday, How would I go about telling them I think there is an issue with or to look at the injectors? I prefer doing things myself, that way if I screw it up I only have myself to blame, plus I worked at a dealership and ever since then I will NEVER take my car to a dealership for any type of service unless I have to. When I am looking at that stuff in the datalog, is there anything in particular I should be looking at? spikes, drops, etc?

SHOdded

Well, it's gonna be difficult, but tell them the symptoms you are experiencing.  Under NO circumstances, refer to anything regarding a tune, having returned the SHO to stock for the inspection/dealer visit.  Maybe say that "these symptoms are occurring sporadically, but seem to be gaining in frequency.  I have heard about fuel injector failures on the SHO and am worried they could end up ruining the catalytic converters, or worse."

tlundjr

I ran out on lunch and drove around for a bit to see if any codes would pop or if there were any existing, and there were none.

SHOdded

tlundjr