• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Meth Injection -- Trends I've been seeing

Started by 14SHOCAR, August 11, 2015, 11:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Everyone -- I've been seeing a LOT of people buying meth kits and selling them just as quickly. What issues are you all seeing? Is it that it's a risky boost thing, or are you having misfires, or temperature issues?

I'm curious because that's the natural next step for me in my tuning, and I'm curious what everyone's experience has been.

I also know there are hidden costs of buying the meth, and maybe you are all going through it too quickly?

Experience good or bad, I'd love to hear more about it.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

wasinger3000

Haven't had any issues with mine. Put it in over 6 months ago. Still pushing lots of boost.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

glock-coma

Not to derail the thread but Anyone who runs meth ever put a camera on their intake valves to see if they're any cleaner?
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

wasinger3000

Quote from: glock-coma on August 11, 2015, 11:22:41 AM
Not to derail the thread but Anyone who runs meth ever put a camera on their intake valves to see if they're any cleaner?
Yeah. I posted pictures a long time ago. Back to new condition after a few thousand miles.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

gad

no issue, have one past 5 month and i love it, i run aem v2 meth kit.

just to see the fast car with even a DA 2500, see video here ----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSG_2P8HlWA
10 SHO, torrie tune, whatermeth , DP catless, H&R spring, t-stat 170, air raid intake, best time 12.19@110 mph.(1.74 0-60ft)

J-Will

Quote from: wasinger3000 on August 11, 2015, 11:41:17 AM
Quote from: glock-coma on August 11, 2015, 11:22:41 AM
Yeah. I posted pictures a long time ago. Back to new condition after a few thousand miles.

You are the meth advocate of this board.  Every time you post something, it only makes me want a kit even more!
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Livernois Motorsports

We recommend the use of methanol injection on all of our high horse power EcoBoost builds, and most all of our forced induction builds in general.  The only negative experiences we have had would revolve around people bringing in vehicles with systems already installed other then the Alky systems we use.  We have had experiences with most all other systems on the market that had issues at one point or another and did not meet the needs of the vehicle which can lead to failures.  It is crucial on a methanol dependent build to use the highest quality systems such as Alky, that will deliver 100% of the demand at all times to ensure the safety / longevity of the engine. 

14SHOCAR

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on August 12, 2015, 11:47:52 AM
We recommend the use of methanol injection on all of our high horse power EcoBoost builds, and most all of our forced induction builds in general.  The only negative experiences we have had would revolve around people bringing in vehicles with systems already installed other then the Alky systems we use.  We have had experiences with most all other systems on the market that had issues at one point or another and did not meet the needs of the vehicle which can lead to failures.  It is crucial on a methanol dependent build to use the highest quality systems such as Alky, that will deliver 100% of the demand at all times to ensure the safety / longevity of the engine.

Awesome response! Thank you to everyone who responded.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

Livernois Motorsports

No problem, always glad to help! 

Here is short excerpt from the streetlegaltv.com article that was published about our record breaking 600+ WHP Ecoboost engine build in regards to methanol injection.

The EcoBoost was designed with direct injection, which relies on a mechanical fuel pump integrated into the engine. With other [fuel injected] engines that have 50 or 60 pounds of fuel pressure, you can just add an aftermarket fuel system.  These engines run over 2,100 psi. There's no way to augment the pump.

To help compensate, we add methanol injection . This is a stand-alone fuel upgrade that pumps high-octane methanol into the intake under full boost and wide-open-throttle to add needed fuel when the DI system is maxed out. Basically, the kit consists of a remote reservoir for the fuel, an electric pump, a controller and a spray nozzle that is mounted in the intake system.

"It's a combination of tuning and methanol injection that augments the factory pump,"

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/tech-stories/engine/ecoboost-build-600-plus-horsepower-from-a-livernois-built-3-5-v6/#/

ZSHO

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on August 13, 2015, 10:52:18 AM
No problem, always glad to help! 

Here is short excerpt from the streetlegaltv.com article that was published about our record breaking 600+ WHP Ecoboost engine build in regards to methanol injection.

The EcoBoost was designed with direct injection, which relies on a mechanical fuel pump integrated into the engine. With other [fuel injected] engines that have 50 or 60 pounds of fuel pressure, you can just add an aftermarket fuel system.  These engines run over 2,100 psi. There's no way to augment the pump.

To help compensate, we add methanol injection . This is a stand-alone fuel upgrade that pumps high-octane methanol into the intake under full boost and wide-open-throttle to add needed fuel when the DI system is maxed out. Basically, the kit consists of a remote reservoir for the fuel, an electric pump, a controller and a spray nozzle that is mounted in the intake system.

"It's a combination of tuning and methanol injection that augments the factory pump,"

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/tech-stories/engine/ecoboost-build-600-plus-horsepower-from-a-livernois-built-3-5-v6/#/
I must honestly say that is an impressive combination to say the least.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BiGMaC

Great info in the link and article!  A good look at why the entire system should be considered when doing performance mods.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Livernois Motorsports

Thanks for the kind words guys, glad to help share some info from the mad scientists here in the shop.  It is truly amazing what can be with a Taurus these days.  If you were to tell me 10+ years ago there would be a factory built Taurus with twin turbos that makes 365 hp, I would not believe it.  And to think now we can make over 615+ wheel hp out of these things,  blows peoples minds when I tell them about it out side of work. 

sunwolf

Still waiting on a way to boost fuel without meth.
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

LongNap

Quote from: wasinger3000 on August 11, 2015, 11:16:44 AM
Haven't had any issues with mine. Put it in over 6 months ago. Still pushing lots of boost.

Since the thread looks to be satisfied, and not trying to hijack... what boost gauge is that??

I really like it and would be interested in buying one.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 SHO Ruby Red PP, LMS 93 V8, 170 TStat, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake

wasinger3000

Quote from: LongNap on August 22, 2015, 10:40:34 PM

Quote from: wasinger3000 on August 11, 2015, 11:16:44 AM

Since the thread looks to be satisfied, and not trying to hijack... what boost gauge is that??

I really like it and would be interested in buying one.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
http://prosportgauges.com/halo-boost-gauge.aspx

It has been a great boost gauge. It's nice to have one that dims when the lights are turned on.