• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

ACES IV - An effective octane booster and anti-wear additive?

Started by SHOdded, August 05, 2015, 04:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BND 370 Hemi

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 07, 2015, 08:56:59 PM
Hi Brian,

After 2 tunes knock is still good.....but I am seeing about a 1.25 degree retard for about the last 1k rpm of third (range .25-1.25). Everywhere else was flat or adding timing.

Do you think I should try the 1 oz to 4 gal ratio like the tt v8 Audis we discussed?

You can try a 1 oz to 5 gallon ratio and let me know how that works with the new tune.  1.25 is not much with an aggressive tune and the heat in that engine.  Try that and let me know how the results are.  We can always go to 1 oz per 4 if necessary although there is at some point the law of diminishing returns here.

Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

FoMoCoSHO

Ok, I've also got colder plugs, stat, and quantum blue coolant to add to the mix which I suspect will help as well.

SHOnUup

Hi Brian,

After 2 tunes knock is still good.....but I am seeing about a 1.25 degree retard for about the last 1k rpm of third (range .25-1.25). Everywhere else was flat or adding timing.

Do you think I should try the 1 oz to 4 gal ratio like the tt v8 Audis we discussed?
That kind of knock retard is where I net my best times at the dragway....almost done with a tank of fuel from a not so trusted source (Marathon), spiked a random KR of +1 only once on the entire tank too...corn is my friend!

Only about 6 weeks from winter blend too :(

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

Good reminder on the winter blend, Rich.  Should FIC be added in the rotation to the ACES IV in FoMoCo's ride, Brian?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BND 370 Hemi

Quote from: SHOnUup on September 08, 2015, 06:31:13 AM
Hi Brian,

That kind of knock retard is where I net my best times at the dragway....almost done with a tank of fuel from a not so trusted source (Marathon), spiked a random KR of +1 only once on the entire tank too...corn is my friend!

Only about 6 weeks from winter blend too :(

Actually, Marathon traditionally has the second highest motor octane values on the market after Shell.  Top 3 are Shell, Marathon and Amoco...if you can find a pump with the Amoco sticker on it.  If it has the sticker, it is Amoco gasoline and not BP!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

SHOnUup

I normally use BP, like I haven't used anything but BP for over a year with great success. Couldn't really judge on the overall performance as it has been 90* for the last week...car gets a bit sluggish in the high heat

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

BND 370 Hemi

Quote from: SHOdded on September 08, 2015, 06:44:20 AM
Good reminder on the winter blend, Rich.  Should FIC be added in the rotation to the ACES IV in FoMoCo's ride, Brian?

Low RVP gasoline from June 1 to September 15th nationwide.  After that, we get higher and higher RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure) so much more volatile and more propensity to detonate!!

The ACES IV-FIC is designed for higher mileage cars that definitely have deposits that need to be cleaned out.  His car is new enough to get clean and then kept clean with regular OBD II CANBUS  Tier 2 Bin 8 ACES IV Gasoline Formula.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

BigPelo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 31, 2015, 03:57:17 PM
And please don't forget to use the special nozzle adapter that came with your car or your expensive ACES will be on the ground!!!!

I dropped my first 2 fillup... Used a 1/2in rubber hose for the third but it was a pain to make it pass the flapper.

Where do I get the adapter?
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

Dxlnt1

Quote from: BigPelo on September 22, 2015, 11:26:53 AM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 31, 2015, 03:57:17 PM
And please don't forget to use the special nozzle adapter that came with your car or your expensive ACES will be on the ground!!!!

I dropped my first 2 fillup... Used a 1/2in rubber hose for the third but it was a pain to make it pass the flapper.

Where do I get the adapter?

I haven't used the included nozzle. Seems like a pain in the butt. But Ford has the funnels, I think I paid $10-$20 for mine when they were doing transmission repairs. But then I found it here.

http://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-32855-Funnel-Multi-Purpose-Capless/dp/B00L4816B4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442935780&sr=8-2&keywords=ford+capless+funnel
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickstewartroc

Do you guys not have one in the trunk with the spare tire?
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

Dxlnt1

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

FoMoCoSHO

DX, are you logging learned octane, aka octane adjust ratio?

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/understanding-knock-and-ignition-corrections-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

"The ECU always listens to the knock sensors and knows which cylinder is knocking while it keeps adding timing. Once it starts to hear knock it reduces ignition timing on a cylinder by cylinder basis and eventually it learns an ignition trim that scales the entire ignition table up or down depending on how much knock it picks up. This trim is called the OAR – the Octane Adjust Ratio. Over time, the closer this value is to -1, the more timing the ECU is adding without hearing knock meaning you have high octane and there is power left on the table. The closer it is to +1, the more knock the ECU is picking up meaning either the octane you are using is poor or the tune is too aggressive or both. So having a peek at your OAR using a logging tool such as the COBB AccessPort ever so often will give you an idea of the fuel quality and how the tune is behaving. ***Keep in mind that the tuner has the ability to adjust how the OAR parameter learns so in some cars OAR will sit at one value and in others it will move around more. If you have concerns, bring it to their attention.***"

AJP turbo

There is also a switch in the tune to have the knock sensors add and remove timing to individual cylinders or have the spark trim applied globally to all cylinders if any cylinder hears knock.

I would only use the individual cylinder advance for race cars..the risk /reward for a few hp is worth making sure each cylinder is achieving max pressure all the time...a friend of mine that is a respected tuner this is why a lot of coyote mustangs are dropping cylinder 8 because other tuners like to set the knock sensor that way to outperform other tuners...when the ignition is retarded globally to all cylinders when knock is heard is safer
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Dxlnt1

I dont do ANY logging. I've just started using the obdlink mx for reader with the obdlink software. Im having issues getting everything setup. So will be trynna get that going.

I had the OAR working for a bit on other phone, it was always at -1 as I recall. So just trying to get it right. I bought the WiFi version thinking I could use with Android AND IOS if need be. (iPad) But what a pain!