• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Fuel needs for tune

Started by Brock68, July 18, 2015, 11:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock68

I am about to install a Torrie tune on my 2012 MKS. Do I need to make any upgrades to the stock fuel system? I just had the fuel injectors cleaned. My engine has 37,000 on it. With just the cai, will y engine handle the tune? This is my daily driver and am a little nervous about longevity. Thanks for any input or advice.
2012 MKS
Air Raid cai
Unleashed  tune
3bar map
170 degree tstat

SHOdded

No upgrades needed to fuel system if you are not doing an extreme build or planning to run E85 fuel.  You will need to run 93 gas to get the most of the best tune though.  No issues with longevity if you stick with established tuners like Unleashed & LME.  LET is another option. 

New plugs should be a requirement with a tune, gapped at 0.028/0.030.  Ask Torrie what he wants you to set it to, if the plugs are not pre-gapped.  Checking turbo piping to make sure all the clamps are secure is a good idea, as boost levels will be turned up.  If you "lose power", a hose that has blown off due to loose/no clamp may very well be the culprit.

Are you getting the 3 bar MAP tune?  If so, install the sensor first, then the tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brock68

Thanks. I am running 3 bar map sensor and 170 degree thermostat. I was not going to go with cooler plugs, but it seems like a good idea. Also, I received three tune files from Torrie.  Performance, performance firm shift, and boost. Any idea which I install? I hope to have everything done before the convention this week. Looking forward to it.
2012 MKS
Air Raid cai
Unleashed  tune
3bar map
170 degree tstat

Skeezixzx9r

The plugs are not "colder", they just need regapped to a smaller gap to keep the higher pressures from "blowing out the flame."

SHOdded

You should try all three tunes, see which one is most in your comfort zone.  If wheel hop or hard shifting occurs, have Torrie turn down shift pressures to 190ish.  I suspect performance will be your daily driver tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!