• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Smoke out the exhaust

Started by BOOSTD SHO, July 01, 2013, 08:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOOSTD SHO

Just received my 13 SHO from Livernois on Friday evening.

My car has the upgraded turbo wheels, tune, full exhaust, and methanol injection.

Under part throttle - WOT the car will smoke like a diesel, and upon deceleration, it will pour white smoke out the exhaust.

The fluids look "normal".  Does this sound like the turbo seals are bad?

The car dyno'd at 403 with the 93 tune, and 414 with race gas.

The car has 800 miles on the clock.

Thanks for any guidance!

Mike
2013 SHO PP All Black.  Looking for 500 WHP+

EcoPowerParts

I hope it's not white smoke, that's really bad, it indicates you have a bad head gasket or somehow water is getting into the exhaust. I would expect blue smoke due to the turbos smoking.

Here's the normal scenarios for colored smoke:

Blue smoke indicates burning oil (this is the most common). If the car is older, or has high mileage, than most likely the piston rings have worn down and oil is getting by the piston as it moves down the cylinder wall. It then gets burned with the fuel, which produces the blue smoke. The faster you go, the more smoke pours out of the car. If this is what's happening, keep an eye on your oil level. You will definitely have to add some between oil changes. This would be very expensive to fix, so I would recommend continue driving the car and adding oil, but start saving up for a new one.
White:
White smoke is not such a good thing. It means that coolant/antifreeze has gotten into the cylinder and is burning with the fuel. This should not be happening. If your car is burning white smoke (not just the white exhaust on a cold day, but consistently produces white smoke), first check your coolant tank and monitor the levels for a while and note if it's going down a lot. You should also look at the coolant and see if oil is mixing with it. Also pull out the dipstick and look for coolant that was contaminated the oil. Look for green spots on the dipstick, or an oil consistancy of chocolate milk. If the coolant is mixing with the oil, and you continue to drive the car, the car is not getting the proper lubrication it needs, and the engine can sieze at any minute (this will junk the car). The mixing is caused by a blown head gasket(most likely), possibly a blown intake manifold gasket, or worst case scenario, a cracked head. If the gasket is the problem, your looking at about $700 in a shop.
Black:
If you have black smoke coming out the end, it means that too much fuel is being dumped into the cylinder, and not all of it has the chance to burn. This is caused by a faulty fuel-management computer, fuel pump, a faulty injector, or on older cars, a poorly tuned carbeurator. This is cause for the least concern, and usually just means you will get bad gas mileage. I would still have it checked out eventually.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

BOOSTD SHO

Thanks for the info.

It is all white smoke..... 

It smells like pure oil burning, but the white is a bad sign.

I have put 120 mile on it from Friday.....

Looks like it will be going back to MI.

Mike

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: BOOSTD SHO on July 01, 2013, 09:06:20 AM
Thanks for the info.

It is all white smoke..... 

It smells like pure oil burning, but the white is a bad sign.

I have put 120 mile on it from Friday.....

Looks like it will be going back to MI.

Mike
I would bet it's turbo seals, I will hope for you  that is what it is, oil smell and smoke is usually that.

Sent from my phone with lots of misspelled words...
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

EcoBrick Bob

Yes... Upgraded turbos soon to be available here via 4DRHTRD's efforts, or via Livernois.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

SHOdded

I think darreli had HD turbo seals installed, no?  Could also be the methanol kit is malfunctioning in some manner.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

boostedbull

it might just need to burn off the oils from the new exhaust and turbos.
2012 SHO PP - Tuned by Torrie
12.8 @ 106  tune only

darreli

I'm with 4DR...bet its the turbo seals. Mine leaked at one point and I had the same s/s. That was one of the things that prompted me having the turbos re-worked when I did. Tial does but better seals in with the "upgrade".

FaSSt9602

Quote from: 12sho on July 01, 2013, 11:16:31 AM
it might just need to burn off the oils from the new exhaust and turbos.

This is a possibility, but I would think with the 120 miles and a couple dyno pulls that it would be gone by now...

I would look at turbo seals.  My truck would smoke light gray/white/blueish smoke on decel when my turbo seals too a sh!t...Hard to tell on acceleration if it smoked since it is a diesel.

Are you sure it is white smoke or a does it have a blueish hue to it? 
2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

BOOSTD SHO

All,

The smoke is so prevalent that after I run it, I can come to a stop and go see the tail pipes and it comes out a pure white and smells just like burning oil.

The car runs great, just the smoke is the immediate concern.  This is why I feel the seals or something internal to the turbo upgrades are the issue(s).....

Thanks Again!

Mike

EcoBrick Bob

Am I correct that you have the new upgraded Livernois sourced turbos?  If so, I would bet that they (one or 2) are the issue.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

BOOSTD SHO

Andy from Livernois emailed me and mentioned that the new turbos may require as much as 800 miles on them before the turbo seals properly seat.  I currently have 130 miles on her from getting the car back.

All the fluids look great, and the levels are all good.

I am hopeful that this will be the case!

The car runs great!  Still getting use to the Corsa exhaust......  sounds a little rice'ish.

Once my confidence is up I will take it to the track to see how fast she is!

Thanks All!  Great forum!

Mike

EcoBrick Bob

That seems strange to me... but what do I know...

turbodave

After having installed dozens of turbos over the years, I've never heard of such a thing.  Never had to wait for turbo seals to seat.
2012 Lincoln MKT 3.5 Ecoboost AWD..... Fully Loaded minus active park assist and tow package.
Chrystal Champagne

86 Buick Grand National
87 Buick Grand National
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: turbodave on July 02, 2013, 10:42:04 AM
After having installed dozens of turbos over the years, I've never heard of such a thing.  Never had to wait for turbo seals to seat.
I was thinking the same thing, if you're having issues with turbo seals out of the box they're bad...
www.ecopowerparts.com -