• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo 'flutter' during low rpm / high gear acceleration...

Started by zzfb, July 04, 2015, 01:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasinger3000

I am almost certain a tuner can make you a custom tune that will allow for an earlier downshift. Adjusting the throttle angle vs the peddle angle would help as well. It would take a lot of communication with the person making the tune but I think you could get a nice tune tailored to your needs and be happy with it.

If there is nothing mechanically wrong with the truck as of now. I know my 13 did the same thing yours is when I was in Colorado. I'll find out what the 15 does there this weekend.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

AJP turbo

Ok...yeah looking at atp site I see the stock sho turbo has a 49mm compressor wheel....different but not vastly different

It would seem strange for ford to use completely different turbos on an engine with the same displacement and compression and configuration
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

I believe the F-150 has a 51mm OD . Heres a very cool article to enjoy for all of us. Z    http://www.full-race.com/articles/inside-the-ecoboost-f-150.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: ZSHO on July 06, 2015, 11:41:26 AM
I believe the F-150 has a 51mm OD . Z

Correct...but that's not that big of a difference...but there is more to it than that I know..I just changed turbos on my civic went from a 61mm comp wheel to a 58mm...slightly noticeable

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

14SHOCAR

Back to the OP guys -- I still vote boost leak. Are you getting an overboost condition? I explain it pretty well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrhBu5XtafU

There is a vacuum line that falls off on the ecoboost engines, and can be causing this flutter. Does it sound similar to what I have in here?

Do you hear the wastegate opening and staying open? Listen closely when you accelerate to hear the mechanics of the waste gates.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

wasinger3000

Quote from: ajpturbo on July 06, 2015, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on July 06, 2015, 11:41:26 AM
I believe the F-150 has a 51mm OD . Z

Correct...but that's not that big of a difference...but there is more to it than that I know..I just changed turbos on my civic went from a 61mm comp wheel to a 58mm...slightly noticeable
The f150 3.5 is quite different than the sho 3.5. They used forged internals, different cams/heads, fuel injectors (I think) and HPFP.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

AJP turbo

Wouldn't say QUITE a bit different.....May have some different components  but it's a 3.5 ecoboost.....Way more similarities than not...More accurate to say for all intents and purposes that the engine is the same than to say they are vastly or quite a bit different....Not like one is boosted and one is not or that the one has different bore and stroke or compression.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

wasinger3000

Quote from: ajpturbo on July 06, 2015, 12:55:12 PM
Wouldn't say QUITE a bit different.....May have some different components  but it's a 3.5 ecoboost.....Way more similarities than not...More accurate to say for all intents and purposes that the engine is the same than to say they are vastly or quite a bit different....Not like one is boosted and one is not or that the one has different bore and stroke or compression.
OR... you are looking at it in to large of a scope. It's like saying a green banana and a yellow banana are the same inside when in fact they are not. :-X:P

BiGMaC

Interesting that the F150 gets forged piston rods.... Thought they were all just cast from those metal beads ford uses.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

r1crusher

The blocks are physically different castings to boot (obviously).  But I would agree with wasinger's that they are "different".  There's more major component differences than shared...i.e. pistons, rods, heads, cams, etc.  Dimensionally some of those components might be identical but their physical make up are not the same.

The F150's 3.5 is designed to handle more torque and loads, hence the major forged component.  The SHO's 3.5 is was not designed the same and I personally would have loved to seen those same forged internals in the SHO 3.5.

Not knocking anyone or their opinions here, just my observations.

So...back on the topic again... :)  I still believe the engine is behaving "normally" and there is possibly some minor hole in the tuning (i.e. fuel/timing/etc. tables) where under these unique circumstances it's seen.

'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

rondeau13

I am having the exact exact exact problem on my 2012 f150 ecoboost have you guys found the fix yet?! I joined this forum just for this thread.
Aft intercooler
Rx catch can
Solo off road downpipes
Fox 2.0
five star tuned 91 perf/tow

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: rondeau13 on October 06, 2015, 04:52:50 PM
I am having the exact exact exact problem on my 2012 f150 ecoboost have you guys found the fix yet?! I joined this forum just for this thread.
No, honestly I forgot about it.

I will try to remember to log mine and post up the results.

rondeau13

I can log mine as well and post the results. If I remember correctly my waste gate duty cycle while the flutter happens is a fairly jagged line on the graph. So I don't know if it's a mechanical problem or a tinning problem. I had a 5 star towing tune and I could get the flutter to happen but the boost was lower on that tune and now with this performance *** tune which is totally crazy and awesome I can get the flutter going and it's very apparent. The boost also comes on at lower rpm and higher psi with the *** tune. I know some guys on other forms/threads talking about a ripped diaphragm in the waste gate. I'm leaning toward the waste gate solenoid not being strong enough to hold the boost therefore it flutters. But would it make sense that the log would pick this up if it ecu wasn't telling it to do that?
Aft intercooler
Rx catch can
Solo off road downpipes
Fox 2.0

rondeau13

The issue is the wastegate opening and closing aggressively. Here's the proof. Now what's causing it I don't know. Maybe a weak wastegate spring? Or what ever sensor that controls the wastegate solenoid is maybe bad? I talked to my Turner, he says it's a truck issue not a tune issues. And that makes sense because the issue is happening with multiple tunes.
Aft intercooler
Rx catch can
Solo off road downpipes
Fox 2.0

rondeau13

Aft intercooler
Rx catch can
Solo off road downpipes
Fox 2.0