• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo 'flutter' during low rpm / high gear acceleration...

Started by zzfb, July 04, 2015, 01:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Does thus issue manifest even when stock?  I have a hard time believivg it's the tune if a reputable tuner was used.  20 psi is well within range/duty cycle for an F150EB turbo, just a question of right time, right place.

I assume you have tried:
1.  Pulling the neg battery cable for 30 min, reconnecting then letting pcm relearn
2.  Checking and cleaning MAP sensors, throttle body with MAF/electronics cleaner
3.  Changing spark plugs if they have >20,000 miles on them, otherwise checking existing plugs fir fouling/wear/cracked insulator/etc
4.  Getting gas from a top tier/high volume gas station
5.  Checking trans/differential fluid for condition/fill level

Where are you located by the way?  Knowing that will help our members point you to a good dealer/service center.  Shouldn't cost more than 1/2 to 1 hr labor to check/update pcm (return to stock first of course).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

How to reset your KAM
http://youtu.be/hZAsoqmqhdM

So many great suggestions, I am not sure if I missed it but when this happens what is your KR reading? I am also leaning toward the truck is trying to protect its self. I am also assuming that the truck is fine at WOT from a stand still? Is it ok when you stand on it at say 55mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

zzfb

Quote from: ajpturbo on July 05, 2015, 02:56:16 AM
... Sorry if that doesn't help much

Actually, it's very helpful. In that particular dataset, I don't have the throttle angle... I do have 'load', but I think that's a calculated value.  And yes, that is a custom tune, but I've seen the exact same behavior on the canned SCT tunes... The only difference is that instead of fluttering between about 20psi - 15 psi, it flutters between 15 psi and 10 psi.  Very strange.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

zzfb

QuoteDoes thus issue manifest even when stock?
Yes, but much harder to reproduce. It just doesn't build much boost in that situation until you really put your foot into it and it downshifts a gear or two. The lousy response is one of the key reasons I felt a tune might help
QuoteI assume you have tried:
1.  Pulling the neg battery cable for 30 min, reconnecting then letting pcm relearn
My understanding is that a fresh SCT tune load reset the KAM. It certainly seems like that, as the first start after a load involves a much longer crank cycle before fire.
Quote2.  Checking and cleaning MAP sensors, throttle body with MAF/electronics cleaner
Checked and cleaned MAP sensor in manifold, in 2011's I believe the map sensor near the airbox is only used for temperature. Ordered a new motorcraft MAP sensor as well, will install next week.
Quote3.  Changing spark plugs if they have >20,000 miles on them, otherwise checking existing plugs fir fouling/wear/cracked insulator/etc
Yes, several spark plug changes. Happens even after fresh plugs, Motorcraft with the revised gap specification. New boots as well.
Quote4.  Getting gas from a top tier/high volume gas station
Yup. Doesn't seem to be gas dependent at all. Premium fuel only.
Quote5.  Checking trans/differential fluid for condition/fill level
No, haven't checked that.  I atually suspect I might have some transmission issues...
QuoteWhere are you located by the way?  Knowing that will help our members point you to a good dealer/service center.  Shouldn't cost more than 1/2 to 1 hr labor to check/update pcm (return to stock first of course).
I'd love a service recomendation. I've been less than impressed with the service I've received. Attention to detail just seems *way* off.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: pfbz on July 05, 2015, 12:00:31 AM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 04, 2015, 09:26:12 PM
Max negative KR all the way up.....(Blend torture test)

The 2013 behaved the exact same way....stock or tuned.

Hoping the dreaded "megaknock" doesn't pay a visit.

Can you elaborate on this a bit?  Max negative KR? Megaknock? 

QuoteSeems like it just may be a glitch in the matrix...

Then I need the red pill.
Well, my car is happy during that scenario so I get max negative KR or in other words it is advancing timing under those conditions.

But.....there is a phenomenon called megaknock that only seems to happen on DI cars.....the Mazda Speed community is all too familiar...this megaknock is very fast and extremely destructive. Ford has implemented strategies to combat this so either they are being cautious or they have attributed some engine failures to this. It typically happens in low rpm high boost conditions.

zzfb

Again... Thanks for the great replies... Folks here seem to be way more informed on this type of issue than the truck-specific forums.

QuoteHow to reset your KAM...
Can anyone verify that a fresh SCT 'return to stock and load custom tune' resets the KAM? If not, I need to modify my test procedure.
Quote...what is your KR reading?
My knock reading looked extremely screwy... No positive knock and massive negative knock, but still way retarded timing. I'll post another screen capture.
Quote.I am also leaning toward the truck is trying to protect its self.
Sure seems like it, but it doesn't seem like it should have to... Why TF can't it just drop a gear without me putting my foot into it??  It would make much more sense then chopping boost and timing. Something like this: 
IF (bad s*** is detected) AND (rpm's are really low) AND (current gear is 4,5,6) THEN (downshift quickly and resample)
QuoteI am also assuming that the truck is fine at WOT from a stand still? Is it ok when you stand on it at say 55mph?
Yup, works great tuned and stock in both of those scenarios...

also...
QuoteI was curious to see your modification list.
Pretty much stock mechanically.. Slightly oversize tires (285/70-17, 32.08" diameter), AEM dry-flow air filter, boost gauge.

ZSHO

I apologize for so many questions,just trying to help you out,but when did you install the boost gauge?did you have these issues even before that. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

zzfb

I apologize for so many questions,just trying to help you out,but when did you install the boost gauge?did you have these issues even before that. Z

I had the same thought. Even though the boost gauge has been on the truck for years, I did take it offline (removed the T, went back to 100% factory vacuum plumbing) with no change in behavior.

Here is a screen capture with the knock and advance readings.  Things start to look very screwy here to me, so much so that I wondered if I was getting correct data.

I'm no expert at reading these, but it looks to me like the timing is way retarded, and the kr is way negative which should be advancing the timing, but also super spikey.

I also have some questions on how dealer or factory strategy codes relate to custom tunes, but I'll start that on a new thread to not get things too off course here.

ShoBoat

Wow ok, -63 and 61? That looks really weird indeed. -4 and 7 should be the max. At least it is on my SHO. . There should also be a curve to it adding timing. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

zzfb

Quote from: ShoBoat on July 05, 2015, 04:14:41 PM
Wow ok, -63 and 61? That looks really weird indeed. -4 and 7 should be the max.

Yup. Looks like screwy knock data for sure.  I'll try and get another dataset with throttle position and hopefully accurate knock and advance data as well.  I used this dataset originally as the boost/wastegate data lines showed exactly what I was feeling and seeing on the boost gauge.

Do you guys have a favorite parameter set for on-device SCT ecoboost data captures?  It seems like many of the parameters are redundant or have bad data...

AJP turbo

I think you need a good custom tune or another custom tune. Something is wrong with that log lol....I'll PM you and send you my email or maybe I can find your email and send you the config file that I log with. You should down load livelink Gen 2 if you haven't already. You may need that to use the config file I send you.

I could be wrong but the PID I log for knock says "knock sensor" not just knock like your pic shows. Sometimes there is  a PID related to knock that show a level of knock percentage or knock level. And I wonder if that's what yours is showing because I highly doubt you are pulling or adding 60 degrees. Or it could be knock ignition limit. At coasting a part throttle you very well could be at 60 of ignition advance so it's making me wonder.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOdded on July 05, 2015, 05:22:02 AM
20 psi is well within range/duty cycle for an F150EB turbo, just a question of right time, right place.

You think so? Surely you are not talking about a stock tune? I don't know that trucks all that well. I figured they were similar turbos if not the same but maybe the trucks were cammed different along with a different intake manifold and maybe ran a few more pounds of boost to get the 420 torque rating at the crank.

He was up at around 23-24 psi  based on his first log pic. that's pretty aggressive for just a tune
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

F150s are not using the same turbos as the SHO.  Their turbos are larger, and tuners (yes, reputable ones) regularly put them into the 20+ range. "K03 turbochargers with 51mm OD FMW compressor wheels" as quoted from Full Race's page.  You can see their writeup here:
http://www.full-race.com/articles/what-is-ecoboost.html
http://www.borgwarner.com/en/News/PressReleases/BWNews/01%2005%2012%20BorgWarner%20Turbocharging%20Technologies%20Help%20Ford%20Ecoboost%20Engines.pdf
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!