• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change on 13+ PP

Started by 91hybrid, July 02, 2015, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Maybe you can spot it in this video (the focus in here makes me dizzy LOL)
! No longer available
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOme

I stopped by and talked to the mechanic who did my PTU today.  He disconnected the vent tube at the PTU and installed a longer tube that came up above the engine to fill through.  Then he reinstalled the vent tube.  I asked him to extend the vent up next to the master cylinder du

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

SHOme

During the next servicing so it will be easy and cheaper to do.

Scott4957

Interesting, To be honest I don't think I even saw the vent tube, space is so limited in that area! I need to see if I can get a look at it because I think the "leak" that has what appears to be gear oil all over the PTU and dripping down around the motor mount is coming from that vent tube. Just a longer one in place to keep it from leaking would be nice. Any idea how long the stock one is?
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

SHOme

Looks like about a foot or so. I can see it from the top but can't get my hand on it.  Would have to get to it from underneath.  If I extend it it would make the fluid change easy.

SHOme

Had my PTU changed again at 60k.  I used Amsoil last change at 30k.  It was thick but not chunky this time.  Definitely dirty.  I think I will do it again at 80k.  I am using Royal Purple this time because I couldn't get Amsoil in time.  Amsoil definitely held up better than FOMOCO in my opinion.  There was no tune or T-stat for the first 30k.  I would imagine the cooler T-Stat may have assisted the Amsoil performance. I also had the vent tube run up to near the master cylinder.

SHOme

Sent from my Speak and Spell

SHOme

Picture of new vent location.

SHOme

BlueSHO

Quote from: SHOme on May 12, 2017, 09:43:38 AM
Picture of new vent location.

SHOme

Exactly how I want to do mine. Did you use 5/16" ID hose?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

SHOme

Same size as factory hose.  I didn't measure.

SHOme

SHOdded

SHOme

My fluid was way thicker than that at 30k. It was  and it was still thicker than the video but not as bad as the first time.  I had the same issue getting fluid in thru the vent tube I added. I was thinking if I slide a very small tube down the vent tube into the PTU and long enough to stick out of the funnel that would let the air out(slowly) while it filled.     I found a roll of small diameter heat shrink tubing that I might try next change. I'll post pics if it works.  I also thought about poking a small hole in the bottle so it drips and hanging it over the funnel and just let it drip overnight. 

SHOme

SHOdded

Love this transfusion therapy for the PTU :D

wraitherx

Quote from: SHOdded on July 19, 2017, 01:40:19 AM
Wraitherx's experience with his 2014 Perf Pk SHO
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8081.0

Thank you shodded for moving it to the appropriate place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

wraitherx

Quote from: SHOme on July 19, 2017, 07:06:17 AM
My fluid was way thicker than that at 30k. It was  and it was still thicker than the video but not as bad as the first time.  I had the same issue getting fluid in thru the vent tube I added. I was thinking if I slide a very small tube down the vent tube into the PTU and long enough to stick out of the funnel that would let the air out(slowly) while it filled.     I found a roll of small diameter heat shrink tubing that I might try next change. I'll post pics if it works.  I also thought about poking a small hole in the bottle so it drips and hanging it over the funnel and just let it drip overnight. 

SHOme

I was honestly thinking about cutting a small hole in the bottle but I actually prefer doing it the way I did because it allowed me to get a good measurement of how much to put in. That small diameter tubing may be a good idea though!  The fluid was more than likely thinned out after about 20 minutes of city driving so it was nice and hot for better flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built