• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

My PTU fluid change experience

Started by Scott4957, July 10, 2016, 02:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott4957

First I would like to thank everyone that worked on the "how to" article and anyone who added their input to the threads, it's what made my change go smooth. I may have found something that no one else has used yet to extract the fluid. I see many people using hand vacuum pumps and bulb pumps but I found this thing at Harbor Freight and it was a life saver, best $15 I have spent.

http://www.harborfreight.com/oil-suction-gun-95468.html

Had I put the hose in the bottom of the PTU I bet I could have extracted it all in one pull on this thing. Best part was that I measured what I took out "9-10 oz" then measured that out in another jar and sucked it up into this thing and pushed it right back into the PTU. Due to the hose I put more in the gun. After measuring what was left I put about 11oz back in the PTU, lowered the passenger side of the car with the plug out to let the excess drain out and then cleaned everything up.

I also used a this wobble set from Harbor Freight, I had the plug out within seconds of having the wheel off the car.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-pc-wobble-socket-extension-set-61278.html

Some tricks. You will need a longer hose then what comes with the suction gun, I bought a bulb siphon from HF for $5, it had 2 36" pieces of the same hose that comes with the suction gun, worked great. You will also need to neck down the hose to something smaller that can get to the bottom of the PTU. I used a 12" piece of 1/4" red plastic hose from my meth kit install and then pulled a plastic piece from that bulb siphon to mate the two together with some electrical tap for a good seal.

To the good news, there was hardly anything on the plug magnet and the fluid actually looked really good, in the sun it looked like lightly used motor oil and the smell was not much stronger than the new RP fluid I put back in. In fact it was lighter in color than the RP fluid. I did find what I assume was gear oil on the outside of the case like I saw when I changed the oil the last time. I am guessing it is from the overflow tube. This time when I buttoned everything up I used carb cleaner to clean every bit of it off and will go back under in a few days to see if I can find any more. I am sure I have more fluid in there that what I had prior to the change so if its the over flow tube leaking some during spirited driving I expect to see it again.

Thanks again for all the support!

2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

SHOdded

Great write-up, and thanks for adding tools to the arsenal :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

For some reason, the MKS PTU's don't seem to be as bad as the SHO PTU's when changed.  Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case.

I changed my MKS around 60k miles for the first time and there wasn't any sludge in my oil.  I only got about 8 oz's out, but no sludge.  The magnet looked pretty decent too.

Call me crazy, but I like the smell of gear oil.  The smell lingers in the garage, but i don't mind it.

Scott4957

Quote from: pmezo33 on July 10, 2016, 03:58:36 PM
Call me crazy, but I like the smell of gear oil.  The smell lingers in the garage, but i don't mind it.

Crazy! Gear oil smells fine, thrashed, burnt up gear oil smells the worst! BTW the car has 40k on it, 20k of which is my driving. I was shocked that it looked so clean and smelled pretty good, damn close to the new stuff.

Scott4957

Quote from: SHOdded on July 10, 2016, 03:33:01 PM
Great write-up, and thanks for adding tools to the arsenal :)

No problem, thanks for adding it to the other thread!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Not sure if you bought your MKS  new or not but I would think the mks pulls a different age clientele than SHO owners.
Prob the different driving styles, hence the condition of the fluid. 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Brucelinc

The original lube in the PTU on my MKS looked great at 50,000 miles.   It was also completely full.  It seems like many of the units that failed or were sludgy may have been low on lube from the factory or possibly developed leaky seals leading to insufficient lube. 

Tbird6

Just changed the PTU fluid on my 2013 MKS ECOboost. It was slightly low and pretty crappy looking at 31K miles. The factory procedure has you doing 3 drain and refills at the same time with only a small amount of turning the front wheels in between.

I will be driving several hundred miles between each change instead. Seems like a VERY small amount of lube in this thing!! Only about 515 ml. Was able to remove about 470 ml so a good change.

The RDU was pretty clean and has much more volume. I changed that as well but think it should be good for a long time compared to the PTU. The PTU will be changed on a regular basis since it's so easy on my lift.

Mine is a 2013 but I guess the MKS versions don't come with the cooler and drain plug? Only the SHO's?
2013 MKS Ecoboost.

SHOdded

2013+ SHOs w PP, PIs, Flex, and XSport, IIRC