• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How To" Snow Stage 3 meth install on a 13 Eco

Started by SHOdded, June 29, 2015, 11:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Originally posted by Sabtaj1
Post subject: Snow Stage 3 meth install on a 13 Eco
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Kit #20100 snow stage 3 install on a 13 ecoboost flex

First I started by installing the LCD control in the cabin. Took me some time to figure out how to get the wire and vacuume line through the firewall. I mounted the controller on the section of plastic between the steering wheel and gauges with the supplied two sided tape. That tape they supply is a lot better than I expected. Removed the kick panel below the steering column. Ran the wire loom down the left side of the steering column and under the dash. I then was able to follow the hood latch release cable (way back there, up left) and made a little slice n the rubber boot and was able to feed the vacuume and pump power feed line through. Wasn't the easiest to do but it worked. I then had to locate a switched power source. Not sure what the wire is but it was a larger size yellow wire going to a loom that had a large plug so I went with it. I then located a suitable place to secure the ground wire. I did not use the injector pulse wires. They were not needed due to just going off boost for control. Now to hook up the vacuume line, I absolutely did not want to cut any factory lines. I fallowed the large line that runs along the strut tower brace to the drivers side. Where it comes down, there is a connection there. I went to autozone and got one of the multiple sixe vacuume tees and left the smallest size in the middle and trimmed the others appropriately for the larger diameter hoses. I used hose clamps and then just slid the vacuume line on the small center part for the snow controller. Then put a piece of wire loom over the section so it wasn't as noticeable.

Removed passenger fender well.

Now the meth tank and pump. No place to mount the tank anywhere that I could fine. I didn't wanna spend the $20 for the snow washer res fitting. So I took the snow tank and ran a razor blade around the bottom pice that the push lock for the line screws into and heated it up a little and used a big screwdriver handle and pushed it out from the inside. Cleaned it up with a razor blade and scuffed it with sandpaper where it would eventually be against the washer res. I then used the supplied 1/4 inch meth line and shoved it into the washer res and drained the tank from the top into a washer fluid bottle. I then located a flat kinda angled place on the bottom of the washer fluid tank. I drilled a hold nice and easy using a 13/16 spade like bit. I couldn't get the piece from the other tank through the hole. I then used my razor blade and kinda shaved it a little. But at an angle leaving it larger where it would push into the tank. This worked perfect. I installed the metal supplied push fitting into the plastic piece that was to be glued into the stock tank. I used Seal All adhesive and pressed the piece into the tank. Nice and tight fit. Now this pump is larger than the stage 1 & 2, they do 150psi and this one does 300psi. I used what I could from stuf laying around the garage. I used some 1 inch by 1/4" aluminum and made up a bracket to mount the pump between the bumper and tank. This worked better than expected and also place the pump inlet at the same height if not lower than the washer tank outlet I had just installed. Snow recommends this I guess. I then used a self tapping screw and mounted the ground wire up in the wheel well. Then ran some new power wire down to the pump from up top. I also ran the 1/4" pressure tubeing down from the top and installed into the output of the pump and then cut the piece that connects the tank to the pump input any then put 1/4 wire loom over it to help protect it. Hours later I put the snow nozzle on and hung it over the front of the car and poured a little washer fluid into the tank and put he positive from the pump onto the battery. Pump came right on and took a bit to prime and boom. We had a huge mist of washer fluid. Re drained the tank that way. I then ran the power feed wire in 1/4" wire loom to the drivers side along the backside of the strut tower brace and connected it to the feed wire from the controller. I the installed a push connect in that wire in the loom by the antifreeze over flow tank so I can disconnect it if needed. I decided not to use the snow elbow and nozzles that came in the kit. The threads that screw into the intake are absolutely terrible.and the elbow is large. So I purchased a alcohol injections elbow and nozzle. Nozzle is a #10 630ml/min. I haven't installed it yet, waiting on a une update. However, I will be removing the elbow from the throttle body and inter cooler to install the nozzle. I will be drilling a hole with a 11/32nds bit on the underside of the plastic closest t the throttle body and then tapping it with a 1/8" 27npt pipe tap. Then install the nozzle portion. The snow red line is all covered by 1/4" blk wire loom so you will not even know it's there.

Some pics will be posted along with more once I install the nozzle. I hope this helps for anyone planning to do this. I wanted to make it almost untraceable if I remove it. Once it's all said n done and tuned I will post my thoughts on what I think of it. Ima newb on the meth stuff, I usually just arrest people for meth. Now I'm gonna be a user. Haha

I will be making this look better. Looks bad right now.

Ps. Only hole I drilled in the whole car was the self tapper screw for the ground off the pump..

Here we have the Snow nozzle (s**t threads) with the longer elbow and the Alcohol Injections nozzle and shorter elbow. I did research and read that the alcohol injections nozzle atomizes the meth better due to the tip being recessed. And the threads are much better. I called Snow and told them about the threads on all three tips and they said "They are fine and should go right in, no problem". I'm sorry but I used to work in a machine shop and those are terrible. I wouldn't let crap like that out the door. But that just me.

So the nozzle is installed and was very easy. I was a little nervous about drilling a hole in the charge pipe but it was super easy. Drill, tap, install..... I poured a whole gallon in of boost juice in the washer res before installing the nozzle to check for leaks. Everything seems perfect. Not a leak in the whole system. Then I set the controller to 50% at 8lbs and 100% at 14lbs. I have to read more on the fine tuning of the controller. I tested the system on a private road ;-) However I do think I set my expectations high. I was able to data log a 0-80 with it and sent it off to Torrie to check it and hopefully update the tune for meth. I would assume that adjusting would need to be done to get the full potential of the meth kit. I do plan to probably just run the boost juice for now since I am new to this stuff. Other than that it does pull pretty good. It's a shame I have never taken it to the strip to get a baseline of when it was stock. I may put in a light so I know when the spray comes on to be sure it comes on. I will keep you all updated.

Everything is totally hidden. Only give away is if you look from the side you can see the shiny elbow under the intake. I will probably make that black soon. Also see a inch of the red line. I have to slide the wire loom up on it but left it for the pics. Once I get the tune updated and have time to take it to the track I will update this thread. Or reply to anyone that has questions. Now I have to learn all the parameters on the controller to make sure I have it set up right.

Post subject: Re: Snow Stage 3 meth install on a 13 Eco
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:41 pm
So I must say. It pulls pretty damn hard with the updated tune too. I have to log the tune still but it's raining as usual now. And our local strip was closed all weekend due to lightning wiping out the time system there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

QuickSilver

Great write up SHO'd I'm thinking it's just the motivation and install tips I need to put the Snow kit on that has been sitting in its box in my poker room for waaay to long...
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

SHOdded

Sad part is, your XSport should have a lot more space and mounting options than the SHO at least, maybe even the Flex ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Sabtaj1

I'm sure more than the SHO but probably almost the exact same as the flex.  You better get to getting and hook it up. 
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

wasinger3000

I'd like to note that the washer fluid level sensors eventually leaked on my car. So if you have it apart putting a layer of gasket maker around the grommet would be wise.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

Sabtaj1

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 02, 2015, 12:30:24 PM
I'd like to note that the washer fluid level sensors eventually leaked on my car. So if you have it apart putting a layer of gasket maker around the grommet would be wise.

yes, I remember seeing your post about that.  I believe it was yours.  Weird cause the level sensor for the snow tank works the same way, push in rubber grommet.  I will definitely seal er up.  Thanks for the reminder!!
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

wasinger3000

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on July 02, 2015, 12:39:02 PM
Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 02, 2015, 12:30:24 PM

yes, I remember seeing your post about that.  I believe it was yours.  Weird cause the level sensor for the snow tank works the same way, push in rubber grommet.  I will definitely seal er up.  Thanks for the reminder!!
Thanks for the detailed write up! Should help a lot of people.

I though it would be ok since it was filled with meth for almost 8 months but apparently it found a way out.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ECOBOOSTGEN4SHO

Not sure if I may have overlooked it.  But I am installing the Stage3 on  my 2015 SHO and I was wondering what you guys hooked your FRP wire to, and if you could provide a picture. 

Thank you in Advance

T.

JDW1

I would like to know where the wire to switched ignition power went? 
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

Sabtaj1

well, I don't know exactly but it was a larger size yellow wire just above my left knee under the dash that had switched power and I spliced to that.  This was on a flex but probably the same on the SHO
13 Eco flex.

JDW1

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on May 27, 2016, 12:58:36 AM
well, I don't know exactly but it was a larger size yellow wire just above my left knee under the dash that had switched power and I spliced to that.  This was on a flex but probably the same on the SHO

How did you know it had switched power?
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

Sabtaj1

13 Eco flex.

azazell64

Hi guys I was just wondering about what you have your settings at on your Snow kit. I have this kit on my XSport and it seems to buck under moderate boost and also seems to blow off prematurely (have the BOV set to VTA). If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

AJP turbo

Maybe you are flooding it with meth.....any logs?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

azazell64

I don't have any current logs on me. I plan on getting some more tonight (my surface was dead last night) are there any additional parameters on top of the ones that Torrie usually asks for that you would like to see? As far as the design is concerned, I can take pictures of the install and it was recommended to me to use the largest nozzles. Thanks for the punctual response, I appreciate the help.