• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

A way to turn off the "check engine light" if I do an exhaust upgrade

Started by David, May 23, 2015, 08:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I'm going to do an exhaust upgrade with high flow cats. The shop said they will do it but if te CEL pops on it's not their fault. Is there a way to just turn it off? This is going to be on a 2014 Police Interceptor 3.5 Ecoboost.

glock-coma

Assuming you have a tune... Your tuner can program the O2 sensors off so you do t throw a code.  If your stock I don't think there is anyway around it.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Does your state do emissions readiness checks, David?  If so, turning off the CEL won't be enough.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOdded on May 24, 2015, 12:17:08 AM
Does your state do emissions readiness checks, David?  If so, turning off the CEL won't be enough.

Exactly...This always seems to be left out....In theory, if the pipes are catted and they as efficient as the stock cats then you should not throw a CEL.

You can try o2 bung extenders or MIL emliminators but most likely they won't work. In fact I know they won't work on test pipes. But I have not tried them with catted downpipes.

The logic for determining catalyst efficiency with these cars is fairly intelligent. Even more so than my 14' mustang. I figured they would be the same but they are not.

Best bet is too stayed with the catted variety of pipes. You can have your cake and eat it too with catless pipes but it would take you investing in tuning software and most professional tuners out there will not be able to help you other than disabling your rear 02's which will make it so you will never ready your I/M monitors.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

David

No there is no testing in my state. I just want to get the maximum performance. I was told the biggest restriction on an EcoBoost engine is air intake and exhaust.

SHOdded

Definitely, doing the downpipes first will get rid of the real bottleneck in that part of the system.  Then doing a CAI (move volume, insulate from engine heat)/catback may yield some gains, a cutout will get you some more.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!