• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Change Today

Started by mistadobalina, May 22, 2015, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistadobalina

After hearing some pretty bad stories about PTU fluid quality, I decided to replace mine while I was under the car (2011 non-PP) doing an oil change. To get to it, I didn't take off the front tire, or use 14 extensions. I simply reached my hand up through this hole with a 3/8" socket wrench and no extension. (Don't mine the massive dent in my downpipe, apparently that whole "light front end damage" on my carfax wasn't lying...)

Once I got the plug off, it looked similar to others on here:
Before wiping

After wiping

I couldn't get any fluid out for the life of me. I tried multiple size hoses and extraction pumps. They all came out like this:

I don't think there was very much fluid in there, so I added ~8oz of Motorcraft 75w-140. I plan to check it in about a week or two and do a flush to get the mixture of paste/new fluid out.
2011 Taurus SHO nonPP
Torrie Tuned - 93 Octane 3-Bar

SHOnUup

All to common of a sight. We've been keeping car level and filling to drain plug since there's no way of really telling what's in there. 18 ounce capacity, so I'd suggest putting more in....although yours seems to be working without any fluid...lol

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

sunwolf

LOL you let the magic out when you tried to drain the fluid. My cousin made the same mistake when he changed the oil in his expedition for the first time in 160000 miles. It threw a rod shortly after.
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

14SHOCAR

mistadobalina -- can you circle or throw an arrow on the picture showing what you plugged the socket into?
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

IHeartGroceries

Quote from: sunwolf on May 22, 2015, 03:55:10 PM
My cousin made the same mistake when he changed the oil in his expedition for the first time in 160000 miles. It threw a rod shortly after.

Wait...

What?!
2013 SHO PP

SHOdded

Nice work, mistadobalina!   A couple more "changes" at short intervals should help the PTU greatly.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mistadobalina

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on May 22, 2015, 04:06:58 PM
mistadobalina -- can you circle or throw an arrow on the picture showing what you plugged the socket into?

In the picture above where it shows how I reached in, the drain plug is already removed. I don't really have a good picture of it.
2011 Taurus SHO nonPP

mistadobalina

Quote from: SHOnUup on May 22, 2015, 03:37:09 PM
All to common of a sight. We've been keeping car level and filling to drain plug since there's no way of really telling what's in there. 18 ounce capacity, so I'd suggest putting more in....although yours seems to be working without any fluid...lol

Rich

Oddly enough, I didn't have a way to keep it level. I figured that since I was filling it on the "low" end, I couldn't overfill it. My next purchase is going to be an upgrade to the POS jack stands i have that I don't trust. This time it was done on ramps.
2011 Taurus SHO nonPP