• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010-2012 SHO LED Brake Lights and Turn Signals

Started by peppelepugh, May 21, 2015, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peppelepugh

Welp, my right rear brake light is out.  I discovered it the other night as I was backing up and noticed that only the left half of my surroundings lit up red like a christmas tree and the right side did not... haha.  Back to the issue at hand.  I'm looking to say heck with it and replace the brake lights/running lights with some LED bulbs. After checking out "SuperBright LEDs" i'm seeing that the replacement of the 3057 in LED form is the 3157, fine and dandy for me.  Question i've got is has anyone else done this or come across any issues?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,3157,21,199:

Or should i just save the $$ and put in some standard bulbs?
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

SHOdded

I'd confirm first that the bulb currently in the setup is 3057.  Sometimes running changes in production will cause variances.  Also measure the existing bulb and see how much space you have for a replacement.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

I do not have aftermarket led lights but I've heard stories about them blinking erratically due to the computer thinking it was a blown bulb.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

jtoddk98

I bought my led tail light bulbs from Amazon. Amazing difference
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JIGZXMC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MC79TLA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

Dxlnt1

I wrote to Dan at Drive bright to inquire if he has plans to make a tail light kit for the SHO. Currently he does not. Maybe if all of us express interest, he will design and make one. Especially for the 2010-2012 cars. I assume it would or could be similar to what is offered for the Edge!

http://drivebright.com/home/shop/new-2007-10-ford-edge-led-tail-light-set-shadow-black-sport/
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

peppelepugh

Quote from: glock-coma on May 21, 2015, 09:01:03 PM
I do not have aftermarket led lights but I've heard stories about them blinking erratically due to the computer thinking it was a blown bulb.

I've heard the same, especially with the turn signal light. I'm looking at just the brake/running light.

I might order a set of what you posted, jtoddk98 and see how they work!

pictures to come of course!
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

BiGMaC

Quote from: peppelepugh on May 21, 2015, 04:21:07 PM
Welp, my right rear brake light is out.  I discovered it the other night as I was backing up and noticed that only the left half of my surroundings lit up red like a christmas tree and the right side did not... haha.  Back to the issue at hand.  I'm looking to say heck with it and replace the brake lights/running lights with some LED bulbs. After checking out "SuperBright LEDs" i'm seeing that the replacement of the 3057 in LED form is the 3157, fine and dandy for me.  Question i've got is has anyone else done this or come across any issues?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,3157,21,199:

Or should i just save the $$ and put in some standard bulbs?
vLED Triton kit is the brightest you can get and works flawlessly... Pricey, but I have them in the front switchbacks > 1year w/o problems. http://www.vleds.com/v3-r.html

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

jtoddk98

Quote from: peppelepugh on May 22, 2015, 08:56:22 AM

I've heard the same, especially with the turn signal light. I'm looking at just the brake/running light.

the hyper blinking comes from replacing the turn signal bulb with an LED without a resistor. I decided to leave the incandescent bulb in, just replaced the brake light and running light bulbs with the LED ones. No problems to report of, super bright, especially the little running light bulb

2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

peppelepugh

Quote from: jtoddk98 on May 21, 2015, 10:39:35 PM
I bought my led tail light bulbs from Amazon. Amazing difference
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JIGZXMC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MC79TLA

Ordered the same set, great call, its KILLER bright!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

peppelepugh

pics coming tonight! (sorry, didn't take old pics...) i would have last night, but it decided to rain like all hell as i was finishing up last nihgt... I need a garage...

65fastback2+2

Quote from: jtoddk98 on May 22, 2015, 11:51:06 AM

Quote from: peppelepugh on May 22, 2015, 08:56:22 AM

the hyper blinking comes from replacing the turn signal bulb with an LED without a resistor. I decided to leave the incandescent bulb in, just replaced the brake light and running light bulbs with the LED ones. No problems to report of, super bright, especially the little running light bulb

even with resistors you can still have an issue. the lights are not controlled by relays anymore but by the smart junction box computer. if they dont see the correct resistance at the right timing, it'll determine the bulb is blown and fail to blink.

I recently tried LED driver ones WITH resistors in my wife's f150...they worked perfect for about 3 days, then the right blinker failed, then a week later the left blinker, within a month, the brake lights failed to function anymore either. put the stockers back in and voila, no issues.