• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

My New Problem of the Day -- Sputter between gears 2-3 at about 60MPH

Started by 14SHOCAR, May 12, 2015, 11:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

LOL I'm growing more and more frustrated with my car.....

I now have a new symptom to battle, which is the shift point between 2 and 3. After installing the catless downpipes and exhaust I noticed my shift point between 2-3 become very weak at wide open throttle. The car has a small sputter near 5900-6000 in second gear (or wherever you set the shift point). When it shifts into 3, it launches again... I'm thinking that the car is getting too lean?

Check it out here -- shifts 2-3 at about 60 MPH. You can hear the sputter and see it in the TAC.

http://youtu.be/1R9hZfDm1w4

SMH -- WHY ME???!??!??! haha
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

southtxSHO

Did you get retune for the new mods you got ? If not email LMS for new tune
2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes
12.89@ 105 MPH best time @ Edinburg Raceway

SHO-Time

Just a few thoughts;

- Possible clogged or failing fuel injector

- Possible shitty tank of gas

- Check the condition and gap of your spark plugs...maybe even a bad plug wire.

2015 Chevy SS Perfect Blue / LMT Tuned (390 RWHP / 388 RWTQ)
2013 White Platinum Tri-Coat SHO (Non-PP) *SOLD*

ZSHO

It sounds like a misfire to me,check the rear bank preferably #6 spark plug,any oil inside the wells? check the boots for any wear. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14SHOCAR

Quote from: SHO-Time on May 12, 2015, 11:23:12 AM
Just a few thoughts;

#1 Any Recommended fuel system cleaners?
#2 Gas  -- maybe. I've been filling up at a new gas station as I moved to a new area that is a "privately owned". I think I'm going to try going to Speedway/BP or larger brand instead.
#3 Is number 6 located passenger side or driver side? I got the pre-gapped plugs from Livernois - and I checked the gap on all of the plugs before putting them in less than 1000 miles ago... I think I even have pictures of the gap setting on each one.

Quote from: southtxSHO on May 12, 2015, 11:12:42 AM

The issue continued after the new tune from LMS.

15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

ZSHO

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on May 12, 2015, 11:41:07 AM
Quote from: SHO-Time on May 12, 2015, 11:23:12 AM
Just a few thoughts;

#1 Any Recommended fuel system cleaners?
#2 Gas  -- maybe. I've been filling up at a new gas station as I moved to a new area that is a "privately owned". I think I'm going to try going to Speedway/BP or larger brand instead.
#3 Is number 6 located passenger side or driver side? I got the pre-gapped plugs from Livernois - and I checked the gap on all of the plugs before putting them in less than 1000 miles ago... I think I even have pictures of the gap setting on each one.

Quote from: southtxSHO on May 12, 2015, 11:12:42 AM

The issue continued after the new tune from LMS.
Brenton #6 plug is the pita one,by drivers side,the boots are fragile maybe you could of damaged one,like others have mentioned use a top tier gas like shell v93 or exxon 93,do not use speedway,any smell of gas or anything in that matter?

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14SHOCAR

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

ZSHO

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on May 12, 2015, 11:57:50 AM
Smells of gas on the plugs or from the exhaust?
Since having these issues from above mentioned video(so many)lol any new signs of gas smell odor,if not check the plugs and boots for misfire. Z

14SHOCAR

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

sunwolf

How many miles are on your plugs? Mine went bad at about 20k. Gap was still perfect but changing the plugs solved my issue. Haven't gotten a chance to watch the video yet.
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

14SHOCAR

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHOdded

I'd go back and check the exhaust system very closely for leaks/loose gaskets or screws of any kind, since that is your most recent change to the "system".  You could also have a loose/cracked turbo pipe that only manifests under certain conditions.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

I would say it's a plug issue from the way it sounds. But since you just changed then it's tough. Can you recheck and see if they are damaged?

I wouldn't push the car anymore till you can find the issue.

Try running some AR6200 through the gas.

If it was anything major you would be getting a code.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

sunwolf

2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

14SHOCAR

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)