• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Wtf Did I do to my sho? New exhaust makes my car sound like a rice burner

Started by 14SHOCAR, May 08, 2015, 08:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

White smoke that smells of oil normal?

Today I started my car, it was idle for about a minute and white smoke that smelled like oil came out the exhaust -- it was just a puff then it was gone...

Is this normal?

I never had so many problems after a mod -- since I got his damn exhaust + downpipes.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

PokerMunkee

Lot of guys with catless downpipes complain about white smoke.  Some say it's failing turbo seals, some say it's due to lack of back pressure.

2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

14SHOCAR

I literally just PM'd ajp asking about lack of back pressure.... I'm leaning towards ditching the downpipes. I'm really not happy with #1 the new sputter #2 the white smoke #3 the rasp.

I'm ragin' at the moment lol'
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

PokerMunkee

Most guys who complain about the white smoke are the ones who do catless DPs AND install the Corsa (it removes the 3rd cat).  Guys with catless DPs and stock exhaust still have that 3rd rear cat to clean up the smoke.  As others said, the white smoke is there on all the SHOs, just the cats clean it up.
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

liteyouup

At first I thought you were kind of being a b*tch, but it does sound ricier than I expected.  Almost feel like I should go with turbos and downpipes w stock cat back to keep it sleeper.  I have a Civic with can exhaust in the garage, if I want everyone to stare at me when I drive by. (which coincidentally might sound better than your car does)
2013 Explorer Sport
...and on that day, not one #@%$ was given.

14SHOCAR

Quote from: liteyouup on May 13, 2015, 12:53:56 PM
At first I thought you were kind of being a b*tch, but it does sound ricier than I expected.  Almost feel like I should go with turbos and downpipes w stock cat back to keep it sleeper.  I have a Civic with can exhaust in the garage, if I want everyone to stare at me when I drive by. (which coincidentally might sound better than your car does)

LOL

Such a gentle way with words you have.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

PokerMunkee

It has to be a back pressure issue.  No way seals are bad on every catless DP w/ 3rd cat delete SHO.  That's the common theme. 

I believe the MazdaSpeed3 guys dealt with the same issue.
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

AJP turbo

There is a big misconception going on about turbos needing back pressure for the seals to hold the oil back...it sounds good but it's just not that way

I have 2 other cars with turbos and none have cats ....even had a wrx with no cats and none smoked...these are cheap journal bearing turbos...Tasca has them for 395 each..that's about the cheapest turbos I've ever seen..

It's very easy and common to over feed the turbos with oil...often u need to run an oil restrictor but the turbo mfg and oems will never recommend that in fear of starving the turbo of oil.

Most turbo oil seal today are metal and there is really nothing to go bad

I'd be curious to see the range of oil pressure these engines operate at...chances are it's over 50 psi at times...if that's true then running a -4 oil feed with no restrictor will blow oil past the seals....my coyote mustang makes over 80 psi and needs restrictors for the turbos and my civic makes over 90 psi and needed restrictors for the turbo ...I switched to ball bearing turbos and no problems
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

14SHOCAR

With my engine issues and possibly weird Wisconsin gas, I'm going to load the 91 octane tune to see how it fairs on my car. I'm going to verify its a 3 bar tune...
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHOdded

Following up on ajp's comment re: restictors, here's a blurb from Garrett:
http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/oil_restrictor

Maybe they (or ATP) can tell us what oil pressure these turbos need, or crash knows offhand?  If OP is currently too high with the stock setup, reducing crankcase pressure with low volatility engine oil might be a good start.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Usually the best way to determine proper oil feed to a turbo is to measure at the drain..I forget off hand but hellion told me it should be something like 15-30 ml per 30 seconds but I'd have to call them...that's how they come up with whether or not to use restrictors and what size...almost all ball bearing turbo comes with built in restrictors.

You can call around but turbo mfg will almost never reccomemd restrictors for journal bearing turbo

I believe these turbos are over fed and the cats mask the problem and some that don't have any cats and no smoke may be lucky...and there really aren't that many people with shos that are catless with 3rd cat delete...there are some but most have catted down pipes

Most turbo companies will point to your pcv system or a drain problem if you are smoking...but we have ken designed pcv and drains so I doubt that's the problem.

And it's hard for me to believe that ford designed the oil feed wrong so I'm really torn on why mine smoked when I was totally catless

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

14SHOCAR

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHOdded

Is the sputtering still in the same speed/gear area or has the issue spread?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

You really need datalogs ....I'd look at them but I'm not sure if you  log with mycal if I can open it with live link but if it's a csv file I may be able to open it with live link not sure tho I've never tried maybe someone else know..

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ShoBoat

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on May 13, 2015, 06:00:30 PM
FYI the 91 octane tune was worse for sputtering.

Weird this sounds familiar. Wondering if this is becoming a trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.