• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Caliper paint colors :/ I can't decide

Started by 14SHOCAR, April 27, 2015, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

I'm taking a poll on what people think would look the best. I'm not a big fan of the caliper covers... because IMHO they look fake and too large for the wheel area. I currently have flat black ceramic paint for my calipers and I'm starting to think twice about the color.

Is red too strong/common/cliche of a color? what other color combinations do you typically see with Silver cars + black rims.

The rust is straight up annoying the SH*$#& out of me every time I look at the damn rims and rotors...

18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

peppelepugh

Nothing wrong with Red or Yellow I personally feel.
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

SHO-Time

I'm looking into having my calipers powder-coated to match the blue in the Ford logo if that helps you at all...My SHO is white.
2015 Chevy SS Perfect Blue / LMT Tuned (390 RWHP / 388 RWTQ)
2013 White Platinum Tri-Coat SHO (Non-PP) *SOLD*

peppelepugh

Oh, also go with a color that compliments/matches your pads. I've got RedStuff pads.... so yellow will look more like a ketchup and mustard brake assembly.... HAHA
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

SHOnUup

Go black...then if that's not flashy enough you could add small decals or custom airbrushing. If choosing another color it'd have to be matched elsewhere in the scheme if it was me.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

66 Galaxie

For stock brakes I say go with black which will look clean and classy. This is what I will be doing on my Flex with black rims.

If we were talking about a nice set of Brembos, Willwoods, Stoptechs or...I would say either red or ford blue.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

panther427

I really want to do mine a metallic lime green
2013 SHO

SHOnUup

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

panther427

Thanks rich. I think that would look good on a sliver car against the black wheels
2013 SHO

SHOnUup

It could...I thought about green myself. Try some green tape...tape it up and see if you like. I taped up the SHO fender badge in green at one time...looked good but I didn't have the cojones to do it

Rich

Frozen Taurus

Please please  just do them in black or silver .... don't let your stock brake calipers be the focus of your car
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

PokerMunkee

I'd do black.  I like my silver ones, no rust yet.  I painted calipers red on my old Magnum R/T and it was too much.
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

2011TAURUSSEL

Black or red.  Hint. I  just got a set of new calipers already powder coated in black.  I brush painted mine RED originally but after a couple of years they are starting to show the wear.  If you do paint I recommend the Dupli Color kit available at most local auto retailers.  Follow directions,  clean clean and clean some mor.  I also recommend clear coat afterward.  Brush on looks good but apply multiple coats allowing a good drying time in between. 

14SHOCAR

yeah that's the flat black paint I got... good recommendation on the multiple coats.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

Roadkill

The calipers not being coated was one of my biggest pet peeves about what is supposed to be Ford's flagship sedan....so I had to take care of it myself and I couldn't be happier with the results.  No one, at least no one I have seen, has done what I did on my SHO....at least not yet. I think red calipers are just so overdone and kind of look tacky and yellow looks tacky and ricey for me.  Black isn't bad but with my PP wheels they'd be invisible. I wanted something that had a little pop but also was tasteful and understated.  I saw a new Aventador in a similar color and loved the way the caliper color looked so I coated mine in a similar color.....
2013 SHO Ruby Red w/PP - AirRaid MXP CAI, H&R 51626 Sport Springs, Cilajet Interior and Exterior Sealant, LLumar CTX film all around, BOV VTA conversion, Custom powder-coated brake calipers with "SHO" on fronts, RxPerformance Air-Oil Separator System. Still waiting on on struts to match sport springs to be manufactured by someone.