• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Extreme wheel hop or something wrong

Started by Wojomojo, April 27, 2015, 11:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wojomojo

So with my newly found addiction known as meth.... Methanol injection of course ;) I'm experiencing some new issues. Once in a while I'm getting some crazy shaking on the 1-2 shift. I'm assuming it's just some really bad wheel hop, but figured I'd check with you guys and get your opinions. Check the video out. Getting bad wheel spin at the top of 1st then going into the shift. I had Torrie tune back the pressure for the 1-2 shift but I should probably have it tame it back just a little more still.

Justin "Wojo"

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO - non-pp, 20's, nav, massage seats - Torrie Tuned, Dynomax Mufflers, Magnaflow x pipe (3rd cat + resonator delete), 3 bar map, airaid CAI, SP534 .030 plugs. Meth injection and 170 degree thermostat soon! Plastidipped rims and other accessories. 344awhp and 375 awtq on a mustang dyno called "The Heart Breaker"

14SHOCAR

I'm assuming you just re-tuned your car? I had the same thing when I installed the Livernois tune. Its the adaptive torque management software relearning the car. It will be like that for a while. My suggestion is to take it easy on the car for one tank of gas then light it up. It's a VERY harsh shift and I fear it can eventually lead to PDU or transmission issues if we don't ease our way into the tunes.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

14SHOCAR

Per Livernois: "When you first flash the 2010 and newer vehicles they shift harder than normal. They have adaptive learning and will soften up, but still be firmer than stock as it learns how you drive. "
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOnUup

Looks like it's trying to shift to 1st gear too early? Or is that caused by the rpm's shooting up when spin occurs?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Under WOT mine doesn't shift to 2nd until about 40...looks like yours is trying to shift earlier or the high request for power right there is causing the spin and thus the shift because rpm's go up? Just thinking out loud...

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Wojomojo

I've has this tune on for a couple weeks and 4+ tanks of gas. It should have already learned it.

Yeah I was gonna send the video to Torrie and see what he thinks. Maybe he can work some magic to help prevent this from happening. It does make sense though that the wheel spin is putting the rpm at the shift point and causing all sorts of commotion in the drive train.
Justin "Wojo"

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO - non-pp, 20's, nav, massage seats - Torrie Tuned, Dynomax Mufflers, Magnaflow x pipe (3rd cat + resonator delete), 3 bar map, airaid CAI, SP534 .030 plugs. Meth injection and 170 degree thermostat soon! Plastidipped rims and other accessories. 344awhp and 375 awtq on a mustang dyno called "The Heart Breaker"

14SHOCAR

Quote from: Wojomojo on April 27, 2015, 11:46:35 AM
I've has this tune on for a couple weeks and 4+ tanks of gas. It should have already learned it.

Yeah I was gonna send the video to Torrie and see what he thinks. Maybe he can work some magic to help prevent this from happening. It does make sense though that the wheel spin is putting the rpm at the shift point and causing all sorts of commotion in the drive train.

Are you running WOT with traction control on?
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHOnUup

Plenty of 0-60 runs posted here to compare also.

Rich

AJP turbo

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on April 27, 2015, 11:30:19 AM
Per Livernois: "When you first flash the 2010 and newer vehicles they shift harder than normal. They have adaptive learning and will soften up, but still be firmer than stock as it learns how you drive. "

They shift harder than normal after a reflash because they need to tune the tables better plain and simple...they must not have tuned the pressures for part throttle....you can set up the tables to shift how you want it the first time and not have to wait for the adaptives...if the tables are tuned correctly then there is nothing to adapt to.

And whoever ur tuner is ask them for no more than 180-200 psi pressure for the 1-2 shift at wot...the higher gears can tolerate more pressure for some reason.

It is not wheel hop although it may sound and feel like it....
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Livernois Motorsports

Normally this is only experienced when the TCS, RSC and SCS are all activated. The ECU is sensing wheel slip and is intermittently taking control, resulting in "wheel hop". The Ford trans in this platform 100% does adaptive learn, to suggest anything otherwise is not true. I can attest to that 1st person, my car shifted much differently post tuning. My car even feels different after I let my girl drive my car for a few days in a row. Her driving style is MUCH different than mine. She is the driver that races to the speed limit, and then lets off. That is not me.

SHOnUup

Someone on the ecoboosted facebook page just posted a video of this same thing happening with them.

Rich

SHOnUup

Livernois Motorsports

Notice that the TCS is on and activates itself at about 3 seconds into the video. It also coincides with the "shutter".

SHOnUup

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on May 01, 2015, 03:57:26 PM
Notice that the TCS is on and activates itself at about 3 seconds into the video. It also coincides with the "shutter".
Nice observation

Rich

Livernois Motorsports

I know what I'm talking about every now and then ;-)

-Jaimie