• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

My next oil change

Started by panther427, April 24, 2015, 10:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panther427

Hello to all so i will be sending my car into the dealer this coming monday to have work done on her. Some TSB and recalls as well as seeing if they will replace the battery for free. Then i have this noise from my dash and my radiator fans have been squealing like the bearings are going out for a long time now.

But to the point of this thread. I will have an oil change done and HOPEFULLY the PTU and RDU fluids replaced.
On a side not for those doing that particular service at home. You could get a small pump and hose and pump the new fluids into the bottom of the case until the new fluid runs out. Not a very clean way to do it but maybe easier...

So first up here is the fluids i have choosen for the PTU and RDU

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000232/1413-FullySyntheticGearOilGL5SAE75W-90-6.0-en.pdf

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000225/4420-FullySyntheticHypoidGearOilGL5LSSAE75W-140-4.0-en.pdf

I will be trying this Napa filter out with synthetic filter media http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Oil-Filter-Platinum-/_/R-PFL47502_0405962045

And for my final choice i haven't picked the final winner yet. It is still between Liqui Moly, Red line and Amsoil.
Here is the basic specs for the motorcraft 5w-30
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/Product%20Data%20Sheet%205W30%20Premium%20Synthetic.pdf

Liqui Molly that is in stock
https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000312/1136-LongtimeHighTech5W-30-10.0-en.pdf

Redline
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=15304

Amsoil
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-5w-30-signature-series-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ASLQT-EA

The one thing im not sure of is the different versions of Amsoil the signature, XL, and OE versions. A bit confused on that.

Anyways i thought i would put this out there and see what everyones thoughts are on all of this. And to expand our knowledge of oils

Bonus Oil additives :) this will be interesting

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_3721.html?OpenDocument&land=GB
http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_1011.html?OpenDocument&land=GB
2013 SHO

BiGMaC

Tranny/PTU.... Amsoil is my choice here.

Engine oil... Much stronger feelings--> Amsoil signature synthetic is my choice.... Beats the other twoyou list and most in all tests.... Most importantly NOACK volatility.  A new kid is Penzoil platinum. All synthetics offer good lubrication.  Personally I don't use oil additives...

Pick your filter... Motor craft is fine.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

AJP turbo

I'm an amsoil lover so I'm partial to them but.....About you being confused on the branding. You want the Signature series, it's their top tier oil. It uses true synthetic base stock(group IV/V oil) This is why I hate the off the shelf so called synthetics such as Syntec, Mobil 1 and others that are "fake synthetic" meaning they are refined petroleum which is hydro-cracked group III oil.

The OE and XL line are cheaper alternatives that meant to compare to the mainstream brands and benefit from some of the AMSOIL additive package. They have lower "total base number" than signature series which is supposed to be pretty important but I can't tell you why. They don't offer as long of an oil drain interval because of not using the true synthetic base stock.

There are others that use a true synthetic base stock...Redline and top tier Royal purple. One of the best things about true synthetic base stock is it simply does not shear or lose viscosity. When an oil shears, what you think is 30w may actually be 20w or less depending on how much it has sheared and it happens easier than you think and when the oil has broken down....The color of oil means nothing.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

PokerMunkee

i have same radiator fan noise after i've been driving it and park her.  but lately, now that's warmer, haven't heard it.
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

SHOdded

LiquiMoly is a well-liked brand, but then pretty much every brand has their followers.  I think the specs are excellent for the gear oils. 

The engine oils are more of a mixed bag, specs look good on all the aftermarket brands, but NOACK and HTHS are best on the Redline. 

The NAPA filter is probably a rebranded K&N or Mobil1, so no opinion there.  Here's a little opinion thread, and a YT video for you.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

panther427

I usually go for the pure one or Bosch filters when I have a choice with the oil change specials.  I forgot to mention the Liqui Moly I listed in this list is not a full synthetic. It would be considered a synthetic oil in the USA But its not 100% group 4 or 5.

I don't remember what option NAPA. Had that where LM full synthetic.  But being made in Germany it can only claim to be synthetic if its 100% synthetic.

I have never ran Amsoil, but have used the other two brands in the past and been very happy.

I had wanted to run one brand of fluids in the car. But as much as I like LM if they don't have a full synthetic in stock in a weight I want ill probably try amsoil.
2013 SHO

panther427

Well stopped by Napa just before they closed. The L M they had is the good full synthetic and they where out of Amsoil 5w30 SS so that made my choice for me
2013 SHO

SHOdded

Nice haul :)  Looking forward to your experiences with this stuff!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

I'll have to see if my local Napa can order LM. Cheaper than I can hopefully.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

panther427

Well got my oil changed and rear diff fluid changed. The tech claimed the ptu service was part of the transmission service so it wasn't done. then the oil I bought being European comes in liter bottles. They slightly over filled the motor. The left over gear oil was placed on my passenger side floor board with the cap not tight. Lucky I have weather tech floor mats so that God awful smell isn't soaked into the carpeting.

But did get a tsb done. the licence plate light recall done and parts order for the door handle recall. And the hum noise I had in my dash was the fan that detects the internal temp of the car.
2013 SHO

SHOdded

Step by step instructions probably wouldn't have done any good.  At least the gear oil didn't wind up in rhe transmission!

panther427

Quote from: SHOdded on April 27, 2015, 09:11:28 PM
Step by step instructions probably wouldn't have done any good.  At least the gear oil didn't wind up in rhe transmission!

Good point. Gotta think of the positive outcomes. It was under 80 dollars to get the oil changed in the motor and rear diff. 10 for the motor 60 for the diff plus taxes and disposal fee.
2013 SHO

panther427

Got the Oil changed today. Its been 7310 miles and 7 months. The OLM was in the 20% range. I didnt check it this moring but last week monday it was at 29%. I didnt mean for it to go that far over 5000 miles.

The Liqui Molly 5w-30 came out and i had Castorl Edge 5w-30(Gold Bottle) put in with a Fram Ultra filter.. Fun fact.. First time i have ever used a Fram Filter :)
Got a sample kit for Blackstone Labs and i will be sending that off today or tommorrow.  We need to seem more lab samples on these motor oils we are all using.
2013 SHO

SHOdded

Good luck, fingers crossed the Blackstone report comes out "clean"!