• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Recently installed a UPR Catch can

Started by mts7471, April 09, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mts7471

Well, in my pursuit of mods on my 15' SHO, I recently purchased a UPR Catch can.  Its a nice setup, but the jury is still out on how much will be collected.  I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, probably put 700 miles on it during that time of highway and city driving and so far I see some oil vapor in the can, and in the lines, with just a teaspoon of water collected. 
The install was actually really quite easy, my only question to UPR was the direction of the one way valve on the intake manifold since there was no instructions.  UPR responded fairly quickly and clarified it.   For anyone new to these reading this like I was, look carefully on the small hose in the center where the one way valve is theres an arrow stamped in it.  The arrow points to the intake manifold.

Anyway, I'm considering relocating it like others to the front.  I've got a rather large space where the Air filter box used to sit since I installed the MDesign filter a while back, but I'm also thinking to reserve that space for a Meth kit reservoir tank in the future.  If I do decide to relocate it, where can a source that Goodyear cloth braid hose that came with the UPR kit?

2015 Ford SHO, non PP, Livernois 93 octane tune, MDesign CAI.  3 bar MAP, 160 deg thermostat, and LME plugs

ZSHO

MTS can you please clarify the last question.Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

How about a pic or two of the existing hose?  Give us a better idea of what to look for.  AFAIK, normally, braiding is just a sleeve cover for a hose, though Goodyear does list some SpiralFlex products.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mts7471

Well I know I never got around to posting a picture, but after a 1000 miles or so I decided to try draining it.  I managed to get about 2 fl oz of waste out of it.  Looks like the other photos I've seen, a murky light brown oily substance and some clear fluid, which looked like water. 
Question though, with this UPR catch can the clean air side I'm wondering if it would work better to separate the oil filler vacuum line that splits from the main line coming from right above the turbo intake and running straight into the intake tube.  I could put a Barb fitting on the intake tube and connect the 1/4" line directly.   Then should I install a 1 way PCV valve(flow control) where the T fitting used to be to prevent clean air from being sucked from the intake tube back into the catch can under non WOT conditions.  Seems to me that the WOT scenario high boost pressure would prevent any vacuum on the short vacuum line running from the Catch Can to the intake manifold because of the 1 way valve in that line.  Yet under normal driving(not WOT)  some clean air would be getting pulled back from the Intake tube line since theres no 1 way valve from preventing this from happening.   To me this would lessen the air draw from the dirty side vacuum tube.  I saw a youtube video that showed them installing a 1 way valve in that particular clean air line on an F-150 ecoboost, which got me thinking.   
2015 Ford SHO, non PP, Livernois 93 octane tune, MDesign CAI.  3 bar MAP, 160 deg thermostat, and LME plugs