• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hesitation and high KR Cold weather issues?

Started by ShoBoat, April 05, 2015, 12:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

So i have put my girl back in her summer mode once again, a little early this year. Installed my H&R's, summer wheels, tune, intake and 3 bar. Mine has the V8 LMS tune. I started seeing some KR at lower RPM's at 60 to 70 mph at mid throttle. Then I started to replicate the issue while logging with Forscan and my laptop. AT mid throttle (without downshifting) (once boost got above 4 PSI) I was seeing KR of 4.5???? I decided to try some WOT runs, no KR to speak of but I am getting a hesitation (shudder) at the top end to 2nd and 3rd. I checked all the usual suspects, oil in the CAC nope. Plugs, changed them and gapped to 30. Air cleaner check. Fuel was the last on my list as we still have winter gas in the pumps, changed stations and filled up with 94. No change. Called LMS and they said its probably the fuel. SO in goes some 110 Octane fuel. That should fix it? Nope.... So I then tried to load the 91 V8 tune. Same issues. Frustrated I went to the stock tune and the issues go away. I changed the map sensor only and returned it to stock. All other mods stayed on the car. I even swapped out the map sensor to rule that out. No luck. It was running strong at the end of last year with no problems with the tune and all the mods. I did put the winter package on a little early so it was still above freezing when I did.

Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced similar issues? 
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

BiGMaC

I have noticed at any speed if I accelerate w/o enough throttle to get a downshift KR will rise.  As far as the stutter... Makes me think about the transmission speed sensor... I think  there is a TSB on that.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ShoBoat

Thanks BiGMaC, I will look into that. Interesting that it only happens with the Tune loaded. That will be difficult to explain to the dealer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

I see the same thing in terms of knock with winter gas but I don't have any hesitation so I'm not sure your symptoms are related?
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

BiGMaC

Quote from: ShoBoat on April 05, 2015, 01:17:08 PM
Thanks BiGMaC, I will look into that. Interesting that it only happens with the Tune loaded. That will be difficult to explain to the dealer lol

Larrylu had a heck of a time getting them to replace his, but it resolved the shift problem... Otherwise gotta look to the tuner about excessive shift pressures ... Often over 200psi will cause problems.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOnUup

Have you tried to something to eat up the possible water build up in gas tank?

Almost sounds like infant stages of injector issue also.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ShoBoat

It could be the case that the 2 are unrelated. I will speak to my Dealer regarding the TSB. I will also be speaking to LMS on Monday. The KR was non existent last year in warmer weather. Thanks for the responses.

ShoBoat

Quote from: SHOnUup on April 05, 2015, 01:35:11 PM
Have you tried to something to eat up the possible water build up in gas tank?

Almost sounds like infant stages of injector issue also.

Rich

Injector issues, damn I'll look into that one too.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 05, 2015, 01:02:09 PM
I have noticed at any speed if I accelerate w/o enough throttle to get a downshift KR will rise.  As far as the stutter... Makes me think about the transmission speed sensor... I think  there is a TSB on that.
Some e-85 will stop that completely and give you -KR instead  :)

ShoBoat

^^ I wish but I can't get my hands on it here :(

FoMoCoSHO

Shoboat, you could drop a couple bottles of heet in on next fill up his in case its H2O in the tank.

Heet just happens to be 99% meth as well....

ZSHO

Did you check for any loose turbo,cac,wastegate hoses being loose or split due to the cold weather,also clean those map,iat sensors with some maf cleaner.Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ShoBoat

Thanks for all the responses, I did double check the hoses. I am going to be tearing all of the hoses off and clean the tb and sensors tonight. The heet idea also sounds interesting. I am also going to take some pics of the intake valves with my snake cam. Will report back.

SHOnUup

Quote from: ShoBoat on April 05, 2015, 02:07:03 PM
Thanks for all the responses, I did double check the hoses. I am going to be tearing all of the hoses off and clean the tb and sensors tonight. The heet idea also sounds interesting. I am also going to take some pics of the intake valves with my snake cam. Will report back.

I wondered about the valves as I read over your posts...great idea.

When you logged did you notice any changes in fuel data compared to old logs?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

When issues "go away" with the stock tune, it is usually because the engine/drivetrain is not being asked to perform to as tight a tolerance as with a tune.  So what might be acceptable stock/OEM, becomes unacceptable tuned.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!