• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Random thoughts for the day

Started by EcoPowerParts, June 26, 2013, 09:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Yup, time to bring out the zamboni instead ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

I hadn't seen this one before.  Hilarious!

Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Ha ha, yes i saw this the other day. Too funny!

ZSHO

I test drove a brand new 18 XLT with Sport appearance and the first one of its kind and truly an awesome Suv but a bit pricey IMO but something to think about!   

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bamsho

2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

ZSHO

What's the latest with this Net Neutrality ordeal! 
Please no Politics! TIA  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SilvererSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on December 14, 2017, 09:12:43 PM
What's the latest with this Net Neutrality ordeal! 
Please no Politics! TIA  Z

I've heard good arguments from both sides of the sewage trough.  I live in a rural area.  I'm 7 miles from two towns of about 7,000 people and 12 miles from a town of about 15,000 people.  I'm about 35 miles from the middle belt of suburbs around Mpls./St. Paul and I have been waiting for "High Speed Internet" for 18 years now.  My neighbors 1/2 a mile from me have fiber.  I've lived in two other houses in that time both of which were a bit more rural than where I am now.  Satellite sucks.  I'm on an old school wireless antenna with a local company paying $115 a month for 5MB down and 2MB up.  That's there highest package.  You can watch one YouTube video at a time.  It's been reliable and is just fine for one person but is too expensive for what I'm getting which ain't much.  My issue is that the internet isn't a want or a privilege anymore when my three kids have to use it for school and me and the wife really can't do without it either.  Nobody really can anymore unless maybe you're retired.  So why am I and others in this position in this situation?  It's the opposite of when electric and phone lines came into the rural areas.  So am I supposed to pay twice the money for 10% of the service 90% of the population gets for the rest of my life?  TV only compounds the problem because others have the luxury of watching TV on the net now too.  If I want it I have to pay DirecTv or DISH.  I pulled the plug on that 2 years ago.  I cannot watch decent quality and still it buffers occasionaly TV on my internet.  I have to go to the Netflix website to have my video quality lowered just to stream a video.  Cell phones here only come in good enough in the fall when the leaves are down so I'm screwed 75% of the year there.  What's gonna fix that for me guys and gals???

But I will never forget my grandfather that farmed in the Great Depression and fought in WWII. 8)
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SHOdded

Economics.  SMH.  Population density and right of way when together will always get the best and newest first.

sholxgt

I can see both sides as well, but I don't understand how it passed.  You know the government is broken when 82% of people are against net neutrality and it still passed.

It looks like the rich getting richer to me, but I'm willing to listen if there's proof of the opposite.

In the end, I just want unfiltered/unlimited access to all Internet content.  I do not want to become China with limited access to world news.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

FoMoCoSHO

I dunno, I don't remember any issues prior to net neutrality being signed into law.

It sure as hell didn't stop my cable bill from increasing and all I have is internet.

I don't have any more decent ISPs than I did prior.

So how did it benefit me exactly?

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 15, 2017, 12:07:39 AM
I dunno, I don't remember any issues prior to net neutrality being signed into law.

It sure as hell didn't stop my cable bill from increasing and all I have is internet.

I don't have any more decent ISPs than I did prior.

So how did it benefit me exactly?

Its supposed to keep the internet balanced if you will... say you are using comcrap and they open a competing EcoboostPerformanceForum they can technically slow down or prevent you from using this forum (or the traffic that is coming from company hosting this forum) by making it price prohibitive to the forum hosting company to pass their traffic to comcrap... this is just a very simple and small example but in theory it could happen...

Problem is that there are only a few major providers of internet services for consumers... so there is no competition or incentive for them to NOT charge companies a lot of money to use provide content for their users...

Anyway.. for us middle class folk we always get the shaft...

Agentlongwood

There's a lot of misconception and misunderstanding on net neutrality.  Prepare for a long post, as we are going to look at the details, enough to really put the issue to bed.  This topic is right in my wheelhouse, so I can give you guys a lot of info on what it does and what it doesn't mean.  If you're worried about political bias, I can tell you my voter registration card states "No party affiliation", because I don't feel either of them represent my interests.

I'm gunna use FoMoCoSHO's post as an example here

FoMoCoSHO says: "I dunno, I don't remember any issues prior to net neutrality being signed into law"

That's because we have essentially ALWAYS had net neutrality in place.  It was enforced by the FCC at least as far back as 2010.  Verizon sued the FCC over it in 2013.  Verizon vs FCC resulted in an appeals court stating, in 2014, that the FCC did not have the authority to enforce the 2010 rules.  So for the second half of 2014 we didn't have net neutrality, and in 2015 they passed the current laws.  So really about 6 months in 2014 is the ONLY time we didn't have some form of NN protections in place. 

FoMoCoSHO also says: "I don't have any more decent ISPs than I did prior."

He's 100% right.  The reason being the NN rules have nothing to do with what ISPs are available to you.  That is a totally different set of regulations that are usually done at the local level.  It's usually a problem of local governments making deals with ISPs over who has access to the transmission lines.  Enforcing or repealing NN has zero impact on this.  NN only deals with preventing ISPs from interfering with what you see over the lines, not anything to do with who owns the lines.

So what does NN actually do then, and why should I care? 

NN prevented ISPs from blocking or throttling what you look at on the internet.  It sounds simple at first, but what it actually means is staggering.  For example with NN you gave your provider your $80 a month and they gave you an open doorway to the internet.  Where you go is your choice.  Without NN, you still pay your provider, but they decide what sites they let you see.  If your provider partners with Hulu, they can decide to simply not offer access to YouTube.  Your provider can make a deal with Amazon to throttle (artificially slow down) traffic to Netflix, so that Netflix feels crappy, and subscribers switch to Amazon Prime.  They can say "Your $50 a month package only includes these 20 websites.  If you want to look at your car forum, that's another $2.99."  It gets worse because the ISP can charge on the other end too.  The can say "Mr. Ecoboostperformanceforum, if you would like to be offered to our customers you will need to pay Comcast to be listed as a partnered site."

The lack of NN kills start ups.  Without NN we would never have gotten Skype.  Some of the telecom companies were sued because they were blocking apps that used Voice Over IP.  VOIP competed with the cell plans that they offered, so they tried to kill the competition by blocking that traffic.  They only stopped because they were forced to. Any startup that competes with anything your ISP does, in ANY WAY, can just be blocked by your ISP. 

If you're ISP decides to get political, they can block news sites that publish stories that are harmful to the ISPs bottom line.  A CEO can do what Hobby Lobby did, and claim religious beliefs to block everyone from any sites that they personally disagree with.  An ISP can even lobby a politician and offer to block access to news sites that support other candidates.

By removing the NN rules, we are still stuck with the same limited choices in ISP.  Even monopolies in some areas.  NN was not intended to address that issue.  Now those monopolies are given more control over what we are allowed to see and do with the internet. 

This is the reason 80% of the country wants NN rules left in place.  The only ones who benefit from their removal are telecom companies.  Which makes it so frustrating that the chair of the FCC is Ajit Pai.  A man with very questionable connections to Verizon. 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

avidmotion

Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.