• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Swapping T-stat -- To Dex-Cool or not To Dex-Cool THAT is the question

Started by 14SHOCAR, April 02, 2015, 05:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

I am doing the pre-gapped plugs, 160 Degree t-stat, 3 bar tonight, and LMS tune tonight! WOOT (I'm stoked!). However, I forgot to pickup Motor craft orange coolant for my 2014 Taurus SHO. So I have read a bunch of places and there is no really good answer other than "look out for sludge", "don't mix", and "totally ok".

Anyone have suggestions or experience with the coolant on this? If the answer is "Motorcraft only" thoughts on keeping the stock s-stat in with the 93 octane tune until I can get the coolant??

Thanks for being an awesome resource Ecoboost Performance Forums!
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on April 02, 2015, 05:52:29 PM
I am doing the pre-gapped plugs, 160 Degree t-stat, 3 bar tonight, and LMS tune tonight! WOOT (I'm stoked!). However, I forgot to pickup Motor craft orange coolant for my 2014 Taurus SHO. So I have read a bunch of places and there is no really good answer other than "look out for sludge", "don't mix", and "totally ok".

Anyone have suggestions or experience with the coolant on this? If the answer is "Motorcraft only" thoughts on keeping the stock s-stat in with the 93 octane tune until I can get the coolant??

Thanks for being an awesome resource Ecoboost Performance Forums!

Use what came in the car, don't mix.

If done properly you lose a very small amount.

14SHOCAR

As long as I can pull that radiator hose up pretty quickly, I'm not really concerned. I just want to know if I have to top it off... I think I'll just order the right coolant.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

wasinger3000

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on April 02, 2015, 06:09:38 PM
As long as I can pull that radiator hose up pretty quickly, I'm not really concerned. I just want to know if I have to top it off... I think I'll just order the right coolant.
I put a shop vac right below so coolant wouldn't run all over the block.

You will need to add some coolant or you can add red line coolant aditive. That is your call though.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

FracaSHO

Orange?  Mine has Green. The Ford tech told me orange. When I took out the old T stat, it sure was green. Had to haul ass back to Ford in the wife's car before they closed.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: FracaSHO on April 02, 2015, 07:10:14 PM
Orange?  Mine has Green. The Ford tech told me orange. When I took out the old T stat, it sure was green. Had to haul ass back to Ford in the wife's car before they closed.

Sorry for the thread jack.
I think it changed between the gens....

Put in what your owners manual says depending on the year.

I don't think a little water wetter would hurt anything...

ZSHO

I would personally install everything except for the 160stat until you get the Motorcraft orange coolant and then you can swap out the stats,just make sure the car is nice and cold and you will need an 8mm socket and need to re-use the original gasket,and run the tune until you get the coolant,i'm getting stoked just thinking about it,also make sure to install the new 3-bar map and then install the tune.Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bpd1151

There was a change in coolant, from the orange to green.

FoMoCoSHO is correct. Trying to remember when it was changed ***scratches head***.

SHOnUup

Do not mix coolants as others have said....if you want to try and save as much fluid from coming out...jack up driver side front, most fluid comes out of block, not the hose....then jack up other front when filling

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

2010/11 - US - GREEN or ORANGE - I'd check to see what the coolant cap says
2010/11 - Canada - ORANGE only
2012 - GREEN or ORANGE
2013+ - ORANGE only
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

20ecoboost10

2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost

14SHOCAR

THANK YOU everyone! I decided to skip the t-stat for now until I get the right coolant... I wasn't looking to go cheap, it was more about availability. It seems that no auto parts stores carry motor craft coolant, and its all special order. Thank you again for the info! I appreciate it!
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHOdded

Yeah, it's a bit expensive online.  Amazon has it listed for $25 (including shipping) per gallon.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

panther427

The pre mixed gallon I bought from the dealership was 15 or 17 dollars for the Orange
2013 SHO