• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to build an auxiliary fuel system

Started by EcoPowerParts, June 26, 2013, 09:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

I thought I'd put together a thread to discuss my auxiliary fuel system. People have asked for a kit but I don't know if I could do that without becoming a vendor on my own forum so that's out for now.

Why would you build an auxiliary fuel system?
The existing fuel system is out of fuel pretty much with a tune, if you want to support running of E85 the car just can't keep up. By adding fuel injectors to the stock manifold can spray E85 in the intake manifold to supplement the stock direct injection fuel system. The spraying of E85 in the intake manifold also reduces the air temps going into the cylinders and cleans the back sides of the valves of all the gunk the builds up due to the ethanol in the fuel. E85 is a great fuel to run on boosted applications and allows for quite a bit more timing to be ran due to the anti-knock capabilities of the fuel. E85 in a boosted application is just AWESOME, there's more info this board for reading up on E85

Parts of the system

Fuel pump and tank
There's a couple of options:

• I am currently using which is to mount a 1 gallon Jaz fuel cell under the hood and use an external Walbro 255 lpg fuel pump along with a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator
  • Another option is to upgrade the in tank fuel pump and go with dual fuel pumps, I am working on this option with Squash Performance. I would really like to get rid of the fuel pump under the hood and fuel cell there as well. Either looking at dual pumps feeding a single line to a fuel pressure regulator under the hood which splits to my nitrous, port fuel injection and the stock injection OR one pump dedicated to the stock fuel system returnless with another pump dedicated to the auxiliary fuel system setup as a return type. I need to talk to Andy at Squash to finalize this and order as soon as I can.
Fuel injector control
          I am currently working with SplitSec.com to provide an AIC1 with the following capabilities.

• Control 6 hi impedance injectors with EV1 connectors
  • Built in coil per cylinder circuit for correct RPM detection
  • Throttle Position adjustable circuit to turn on the 2nd fuel pump if that is the option that Squash and I work out
  • 5V output and 0-5V input for Auto Meter 2246 fuel pressure gauge
  • I'm working really hard for him to put a bluetooth serial connector in the box so people don't have to run a cable inside the car.
This means you'd just hook up a 12V switched power, ground, a single wire to #1 cylinder plug trigger and throttle position sensor wire for the whole Aux injector control box to be functioning. If you wanted to add a fuel pressure input to log you could do that as well.

On my current install to get everything working I had to use an MSD distributorless tach driver which meant I had to pull the fuse box and cut the main power for the coils and send it through the MSD box. I don't like the idea of that, a simple wire to the #1 coil would be much nicer. Why not just feed with a single coil feed? The existing AIC1 would think you have a 1 cylinder motor so it won't spray nearly enough fuel. :)

Intake manifold modification for auxiliary injectors
I currently have a guy who did my intake manifold and he said he could build more, the whole modification process takes about 30 - 45 days as he does them after hours on his own time. The wait is worth it though as he used to be the main fabricator for AZ Speed & Marine, he's actually built prototype manifolds for Chevy! The manifolds come with bungs and fuel rails and mounts for the fuel rails, there are two sets of mounts, 1 for tall injectors and 1 for short.

Fuel lines
The fuel pump options need to be finalized (should have this answered this week) before a fuel line setup could be configured. I went down to the local Parker store and spent over $450 just on fuel line fittings. It's super expensive, ordering off the web would take a ton off that price however.

Costs for the project:

In tank fuel pump - $600 to $1000 depending on what fuel pumps you want to use
Under hood fuel cell/pump - $100 for the tank, $112 for the fuel pump
Fuel injector controller - AIC1-6 - around $450 or so, still working on that with them
Intake manifold modification - around $700 with intake manifold exchange. The best case scenario would be to get a group buy going to Bryon could do multiple manifolds at once.
Fuel lines - $400-$800 depending on what needs to be done there
Fuel pressure regulator - $90-$$$$ depending on what is chosen.
I'll update this as I know more but this is the current path for E85 until somebody makes an upgraded cam driven fuel pump and high flow injectors.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

I will ask my friend who will be working on revised EB engine if he can find out anything on bigger injectors and HPFP. No guarantees he can find out or is legally allowed to tell me.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

crash712us

I think may  have stumbled across some info on a larger DI pump and been meaning to post but I still need to cross reference something 1st that keeps slipping my mind. But if am right a larger DI pump maybe as simple as ordering one from the manufacturer.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

crash712us

Okay on subject of larger DI pump. Today I scribe down some number off the DI pump on my car and tried to cross reference with number on bosch website. The numbers I jotted down didn't match up with anything they have listed and googled and turned up nothing in regards to fuel pumps.
But there lots more numbers on the thing plus one the weird bar code things. Any how I remember reading the fuel system on our cars is Bosch.
So went to Bosch's website and was looking there fuel pumps. And they have larger fuel pumps and they look exactly like our. What does this mean? As of now nothing, but I figured I'd share what I've found to help the investigation process along.
http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/content/language2/html/2832.htm

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

darreli

Saw that last year Chris..talked to Bosch directly and they couldn't really help. Dan knows some guys over there an they couldn't help him either. I did see the new company on here..starts with an "m" I think..sorry on my phone and can't look it up..but they look like they may be working on a DI pump upgrade. I don't really think it's needed though at the current power levels..we still have plenty of room fuel wise in my car. With E85 maybe because it takes more fuel..