• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How the Thermostat works in a car...

Started by 14SHOCAR, April 02, 2015, 11:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Being that my inner child never stops wondering "how it works", I was looking at my 160 degree t-stat from LMS wondering how it actually worked. I decided to search "on the line" and found this pretty cool video showing the thermostat at work. I watched this with no audio, so, I have no clue what he is saying but the demo was pretty cool! Fast forward to 0:30 to see the stat actuating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8cGKdICJmc#ws

From How It Works:
"The secret of the thermostat lies in the small cylinder located on the engine-side of the device. This cylinder is filled with a wax that begins to melt at perhaps 180 degrees F (different thermostats open at different temperatures, but 180 F/82 C is a common temperature). A rod connected to the valve presses into this wax. When the wax melts, it expands significantly and pushes the rod out of the cylinder, opening the valve. If you have read How Thermometers Work and done the experiment with the bottle and the straw, you have seen the same process in action. The wax happens to expand a good bit more because it is changing from a solid to a liquid in addition to expanding from the heat."

Cool Eh?
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

14SHOCAR

PS How the heck do I embed this youtube link as a video in the forum? whats the tag?

Also can a moderator move this to a general forum?
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOnUup

You can do this on your stove in boiling water with a thermometer to check if it's opening at the proper temp also...did this during my tstat/air bubble episode.

Rich
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

IHeartGroceries

^Yup! I've tested one that way before. I think I prefer a pot of water myself. O_o
Easier to drop a thermometer down into to test the temp. threshold.
2013 SHO PP