• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 Taurus SHO - Stunning Dyno Results Baseline + K&N

Started by 14SHOCAR, March 20, 2015, 04:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOdded on March 30, 2015, 02:05:25 AM
I think he's saying the K&N filter used in the dyno results from your comparison was dirty, not clean.

That makes a bit more sense, the dyno test was done by a client therefore it is "his" filter so that threw me off. I am unaware of how much soot was on his filter, still not sure where the consensus that the clients filter had "ton of soot" on it came from though.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

14SHOCAR

I think he's saying the K&N filter used in the dyno results from your comparison was dirty, not clean.
SHOdded is right. I probably used the wrong word here. I was meaning "dirty" -- I suppose soot is in reference to burned, whereas, I was referring to a big difference in coloration of the filter.

I just saw the posts, so I assumed it was your dyno documentation. I have a good graphic from the you tube video you posted here of how the filter was dirty.

I'm not attacking you or the product by any means. I'm just an outsider making an observation.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOdded

From the K&N website:

"When Do I Clean My K&N Air Filter?

Cleaning your K&N Air Filter is not required if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your K&N air filter is fine and does not yet need to be cleaned. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the air filter, it is time to clean it. Check out these pictures of dirty and clean air filters to help determine if your K&N air filter needs cleaning.

K&N replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box can go up to 50,000 miles before cleaning is required and large conical filters on a K&N air intake system can go up to 100,000 miles before needing to be cleaned, depending on your driving conditions. If your K&N air filter is used in dusty or off-road environments, they will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your air filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.
"

Counter-intuitive to paper filter users, but there it is from the stallion's neigh.

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning-pics.htm

Dirty K&N Air Filter that IS NOT ready to be cleaned

Dirty K&N Air Filter that IS ready to be cleaned

K&N Air Filter that has been cleaned and NOT oiled

K&N Air Filter that has been cleaned and re-oiled

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14SHOCAR

Leave it to you to dig up this info lol :) 

By the picture, I assume it's a "dusty environment" given the dust on the battery and other parts of the car. I guess we will just have to leave it up to the track times. I'm thinking of buying one of the Mdesign intakes to do "formal testing" on it. Given the number of additions and tests I have planned, I may need to start a paypal donation site hahah

15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOdded

Like MDesign was saying, back to back runs, on the dyno or on the track are the best way to compare.  Yes, you can provide SAE corrections for everything and standardize results, but when every hp/tq or every tenths counts, sometimes you just don't feel comfy using "corrected" data.  Too many unaccounted-for variances possible.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14SHOCAR

Ok more questions here... what if I were to do an intake sleeve or thermal tape? More curious of what people "have heard"
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHOw-Me State

2011 SHO non-PP, Ingot Silver, 2013 fender vents, all stock (for now).
Future: Tune, 3-bar, new plugs.  Catted DP and exhaust someday.

14SHOCAR

I have my results from the DYNO with my 93 octane 3 bar V8 tune by Livernois. The numbers looked WAAAAAAAAY off from what I would have expected with this tune. They were VERY lack luster. I'll try to get my video up, though, I do take my time with the videos to make them complete.

I also reached out to Livernois to find out what is going wrong. Their 80+AWHP and 80+AWTQ claims on the F150s are not even close to my results. I know there are different gear ratios, I know the vehicles have different engine positions, I know vehicles were dyno'd AWHP vs RWHP but... yeah. Not pleased. Stay tuned!
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

66 Galaxie

Different turbos and different heads on the F150 make a significant difference.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

14SHOCAR

Quote from: 66 Galaxie on April 20, 2015, 02:40:02 PM
Different turbos and different heads on the F150 make a significant difference.

I'm seeing that. Its pretty shocking to see the other cars laying down 400-600 whp. Even with Meth and PP, I don't think this car would come close. I'm very..... intrigued and doing a bit o research.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHO-TYM

here is my dyno result on LME dyno. My mods are in my signature.

from your reaction to your #'s i'm guessing your car put down around 330-340?
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

SHOdded

Def SHO and F150 are not comparable.  with tune/3bar/CAI etc but w/o meth, pretty normal to put low 300s for AWHP and mid 300s for AWTQ.  See how yours compares with the ones in this thread:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2059.0.html

14SHOCAR

Quote from: SHOdded on April 20, 2015, 03:06:47 PM
Def SHO and F150 are not comparable.  with tune/3bar/CAI etc but w/o meth, pretty normal to put low 300s for AWHP and mid 300s for AWTQ.  See how yours compares with the ones in this thread:

Good info right here. It looks like if I want to be running close to 400whp, I need to get a meth kit.

I'm starting to re-think my tune order here. :/
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHO-TYM

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on April 20, 2015, 03:33:16 PM

Good info right here. It looks like if I want to be running close to 400whp, I need to get a meth kit.

To get to 400WHP you are going to need Down Pipes, Catback, and meth.  It is worth it..... drives like a new car. 
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

SHO-Time

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on April 20, 2015, 03:33:16 PM

I wouldn't worry so much about dyno numbers. Running times at the dragstrip is the most accurate way to determine the effectiveness of your performance modifications. With just a tune and downpipes, you'll knock off a full second off the claimed SHO stock 1/4 mile time (stock = 14.0/13.9 ---tuned = 13.0-12.9)...which is pretty impressive if you ask me.   
2015 Chevy SS Perfect Blue / LMT Tuned (390 RWHP / 388 RWTQ)
2013 White Platinum Tri-Coat SHO (Non-PP) *SOLD*