• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU and RDU friction modifier?

Started by Wojomojo, March 16, 2015, 01:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wojomojo

So, research isn't leading me to any exact answer. Does the ptu and the rdu both need friction modifier? When I changed my ptu fluid I just used royal purple with the friction modifier already in it. Going to do rdu soon and want to know if i need modifier. I read from some people that the ptu has clutch packs, but also saw someone mention it doesn't have any clutches and only the rear has the clutch. Just want to figure it out as reading for over an hour hasn't helped Ha. Thanks everyone!
Justin "Wojo"

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO - non-pp, 20's, nav, massage seats - Torrie Tuned, Dynomax Mufflers, Magnaflow x pipe (3rd cat + resonator delete), 3 bar map, airaid CAI, SP534 .030 plugs. Meth injection and 170 degree thermostat soon! Plastidipped rims and other accessories. 344awhp and 375 awtq on a mustang dyno called "The Heart Breaker"

SHOdded

No friction modifier needed.  BTW, the RDU holds what, over 3x the amount of fluid that the PTU does?  RARELY hear of any issues there.  So just use a quality full synthetic gear oil, and don't worry about it.  I'd like to say a fluid change interval of 50K miles is good for the RDU, or at least a check every time you change the PTU fluid.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Quote from: SHOdded on March 16, 2015, 05:27:53 AM
BTW, the RDU holds what, over 3x the amount of fluid that the PTU does?

PTU gets 1.1 pints of 75-140
Rear Diff gets 2.3 pints of 75-90

So not quite 3x the amount.

I change out both fluids religiously, once in the Spring, once in the Fall, regardless of mileage accrued.

I too use Royal Purple exclusively as well. Seems to have paid off thus far.

Knock on wood, no issues to speak of, after 5yrs, and 63K on the clock.