• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil in air intake.

Started by sunwolf, March 14, 2015, 07:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunwolf

So today I put my summer tires back on and went to change spark plugs (I was having spark blowout according to LMS). When I was removing the part of the air intake that the blow off valves were attached to I noticed oil in the intake and oil on the end of one of the blow off valves (see pictures). Im really concerned because I checked the part of the intake immediately after the airbox thinking it was because of my k&n filter but that part of the intake is dry. It seems the oil is only in the part after the turbos. Is this normal or am I about to need a new turbo?
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

sunwolf

Pictures because they wouldn't work before.
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

SHOnUup

Small amount is normal. Puddles and dripping is bad.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

BiGMaC

sunwolf...

The pipe you show open is the rear turbo to IC pipe and I see the end of the BOV too... this is more in the charge pipe than I saw on my '13 when I put the EPP hotpipes on at 6K miles... and is more than I see now when doing spark plug maintenance at 19K miles... but as Rich says it's not dripping.  I have never seen buildup on the BOV like that (or at all) and I don't have a greasy engine bay after 15K miles of being VTA. CC blowby should go through the front turbo which has a separate pipe to the IC.

IMHO this is a little excessive... and it makes me think of turbo seals...but is it bad enough to be a problem?  I'd suggest with your relatively young SHO that the answer is likely in your IC.  If there is any accumulation of oil/liquid in there I would definitely have a dealership look.  I might anyway if the car was acting differently ... but I'm kinda OC, LOL

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

What oil/filter are you running, sunwolf?  OC intervals?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sunwolf

I am at 19000 miles so it isn't as young as you would think and I am the first owner. I got my first oil change at 8k then the dealer told me to ignore the manual and go every 5k so I got one at 13 and I'm getting one in a week. Been VTA for about 7k. I had my brother take it in for the oil change last time so I don't know what oil and filter they used other than he told them full synthetic. The thing that really scares me is that there is a small pool of oil where the pipe forms that little ridge at the end. it's kind of hard to see in that picture bit it is there. I will try to take a new one tomorrow. The car drives fine except for the misfiring at the top of 3rd. How do I check the intercooler?
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

BiGMaC

Quote from: sunwolf on March 14, 2015, 11:37:01 PM
I am at 19000 miles so it isn't as young as you would think and I am the first owner. I got my first oil change at 8k then the dealer told me to ignore the manual and go every 5k so I got one at 13 and I'm getting one in a week. Been VTA for about 7k. I had my brother take it in for the oil change last time so I don't know what oil and filter they used other than he told them full synthetic. The thing that really scares me is that there is a small pool of oil where the pipe forms that little ridge at the end. it's kind of hard to see in that picture bit it is there. I will try to take a new one tomorrow. The car drives fine except for the misfiring at the top of 3rd. How do I check the intercooler?

BTW... I have 19.7K on mine and I love to put my right foot in it!... I use Amsoil signature synthetic for what it's worth... the MC filter I believe is fine... I ignore the oil life monitor and change every 5K also....
To check the IC -->You'll have to drop the engine compartment plastic pan (2 finger turn fasteners in front)... then disconnect the charge pipe from the turbo... it is driver's side up front.. you can see it running from the front turbo to the IC (each turbo has a separate input channel to the IC) this will also let you compare the piping from the front turbo as far as oil... once this is done a flexible dipstick can be used... but a boroscope is better... they're all over for under $100... If you find oil in there it can be extracted with a flexible tubing on a hand held/operated pump....the concern here is that if enough stuff builds up in the IC a big gulp could go to the TB and engine.... potential hydrolock and/or damage since liquids don't compress.

May not need to do this, but if oil is pooling in the charge pipe I would.  It's about a 2 hour job... let's see what others say about it... We are all learning!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SHOdded

A very helpful HOWTO on draining the CAC/intercooler by ShoBoat:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3056.0.html

If you are up for it, this is a good time to check the plugs also.  If there's oil in the plug well(s), or you smell/see fuel on the plug(s), or plug gap that has grown significantly, that would be actionable items 4 you.  Plug condition remains one of the key indicators of engine health.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I recall when the dealer was changing my rear valve cover and they had the cac/intercooler hose off and found some oil there which they said a little bit is normal and just wiped it with a rag,while my buddy was working on the car i was on the other end swapping the 3-bar sensor and putting it back to stock which almost forgot,then he tells me dont worry not this time,he told me to get an oil extractor which found one here.   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU0MMU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P  also found some oil by the I/C pipe,guess like others have mentioned a good full synthetic at frequent intervals is in order depending on weather conditions and the way you drive.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sunwolf

So I took a closer look. Engine oil was about 1qt low and there was some oil on the map sensor. Pulled one of the spark plugs out and it looked Ok no signs of oil fouling. I'm taking it to the dealer for brakes and an oil change and I will mention it to them then.
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

SHOdded

Good luck, hope they can get you squared away!

SHOnUup

Quart low? Wow...definitely take it in. Think I've added, if a 1/4 quart in 20k of having it.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

BiGMaC

Source... Dunno, but a quart low is a leak... Check around the engine bay if you haven't generally, drop the belly pan for a look, and consider looking in the IC I'm still thinking turbo seal myself.

sunwolf

According to my dealer the quart low is just because these cars use a little bit of oil since they have turbos. They said the oil in the pipes is fine and they will check to see if its low again next time.
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

SHOdded

Ummmm, okay ...  Was this a Lincoln dealer?  I see you have a Navigator in your sig, so you have access to one?