• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Deatschwerks Developing EcoBoost Injectors In Time For 2015 Mustang

Started by FoMoCoSHO, March 09, 2015, 11:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Will

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on March 12, 2015, 12:38:07 PM
It would be great if the injectors actually came to market. I just have my doubts from this company that has promised numerous products that never found their way into customers cars.
What else have they promised? I am seriously/ naively asking, because I'm curious to know.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 12, 2015, 01:26:03 PM
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 11, 2015, 12:09:41 AM
Anybody had the OE injector flow tested?

You lose pressure (with ethanol or whatever) becasue your injector pulse width decreases with engine speed, your duty cycle increases, your injectors are staying open near continuously and so the high pressure pump struggles to compress fuel, as the restriction eases.

Unless I am mistaken, the rail pressure in these engines is dependent on engine speed, correct? The HPFP is cam driven. It could potentially be responsible for some pressure drops or lean conditions, high load, low in the RPM band.

So, as stated by aj, your injectors can potentially flow well enough, but your limitation is with the HPFP. If there is replacement availability for that, then you open up more headroom for fuel. Until you max the injectors out. O_o
So looking at this, if we were get get a +25% injector that can run at a higher pulse width that closes like a normal injector, wouldn't that at least help restore rail pressure?

It may not be the ultimate fix but it would help wouldn't it?

Nope....Only a pump can help pressure....The larger and higher flowing injector will only deliver more fuel at a given pulsewidth....That's why you always see flow rates for injectors in cc/min or lbs/hr at a given pressure...usually 43.5 psi in the non direct injected world.

if the injector pulsewidth is 2 milliseconds and both injectors are operating at the same pressure then the larger injector will deliver more flow.

Someone said earlier that as rpm increases then injector pulsewidth decreases...That's wrong...Pulsewidth in just the duration of time that the injector sprays fuel...So when load is higher and you are making more power then the fuel demand is higher and will require a longer pulsewidth
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 10, 2015, 08:42:47 PM
That's pretty cool..Guess we'd have to look at the pump....If we have the NON evo pump it looks like it would be a 7% improvement going to 1.2 from 1.12 cc/R......Is that cc per revolution?
Looking at the race pump those numbers are for each cam rotation.

FoMoCoSHO

"Depending on the requirements of your engine (e.g.
fuel consumption over rotation ratio) we recommend
different types of tappets, piston springs and cam pro-
files. Please notice: Fuel delivery and maximum drive-
shaft speed depend on cam profile and type of tappet"

So I wonder if our cams are the limiting factor?

FoMoCoSHO

AJP turbo

Fomo why don't you go buy one and let me know how it goes lol.....Call em up and see what's up with it.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 13, 2015, 12:27:43 AM
Fomo why don't you go buy one and let me know how it goes lol.....Call em up and see what's up with it.
Because I'm not entirely sure that my current setup isn't capable of more aggressive tuning.

http://www.ethanolboost.com/LFEE%202008-01%20RP.pdf

This coupled with my experiences this winter lead me to believe less could be more as far as our cars are concerned.

IHeartGroceries

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 12, 2015, 08:27:43 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 12, 2015, 01:26:03 PM
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 11, 2015, 12:09:41 AM
Anybody had the OE injector flow tested?

You lose pressure (with ethanol or whatever) becasue your injector pulse width decreases with engine speed, your duty cycle increases, your injectors are staying open near continuously and so the high pressure pump struggles to compress fuel, as the restriction eases.

Unless I am mistaken, the rail pressure in these engines is dependent on engine speed, correct? The HPFP is cam driven. It could potentially be responsible for some pressure drops or lean conditions, high load, low in the RPM band.

So, as stated by aj, your injectors can potentially flow well enough, but your limitation is with the HPFP. If there is replacement availability for that, then you open up more headroom for fuel. Until you max the injectors out. O_o
So looking at this, if we were get get a +25% injector that can run at a higher pulse width that closes like a normal injector, wouldn't that at least help restore rail pressure?

It may not be the ultimate fix but it would help wouldn't it?

Nope....Only a pump can help pressure....The larger and higher flowing injector will only deliver more fuel at a given pulsewidth....That's why you always see flow rates for injectors in cc/min or lbs/hr at a given pressure...usually 43.5 psi in the non direct injected world.

if the injector pulsewidth is 2 milliseconds and both injectors are operating at the same pressure then the larger injector will deliver more flow.

Someone said earlier that as rpm increases then injector pulsewidth decreases...That's wrong...Pulsewidth in just the duration of time that the injector sprays fuel...So when load is higher and you are making more power then the fuel demand is higher and will require a longer pulsewidth
Oh, yes. You're correct. Load increases, fuel demand incrases, pulse width increases, DC increases.
I'd intended to say that your window of injection timing for optimal performance during high RPM, high load homogeneous operation decreases on GDI engines, as you're limited to injection only during the induction cycle. A PI system could of course inject during any of the four cycles.
If you're looking at injectors, it's critical that they are produced very precisely and are well made. Spray patterns are important. The ability to atomize fuel is hugely important. The newest GDI injectors are really pieces of art. So, I'd be slightly sceptical of anything remotely affordable.

If somebody has a set of the stockers, you can  have them flow tested to learn exactly what you're working with, what kind of headroom you have. Unless that information is already out there.
The HPFP is almost certainly the bottleneck. Which is what I don't get about developing injectors. Even if you've maxed out injector DC, you can still invariably reduce your injector workload with a fuel pump upgrade and likely have what you need for your modest power goals.

This is apart of why I've preached an auxiliary PI system. I know 4DR did it. But never learned what his shortcomings were. It is easiest solution and easiest to get support for...
2013 SHO PP

SHOnUup

"Stratified extra fuel system" used by the ST guys....this was just shared elsewhere.

Anyone look into it?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

IHeartGroceries

Looks like an auxiliary PI system.
Really is the best solution. Doesn't break the bank.
2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 13, 2015, 10:14:41 AM
Looks like an auxiliary PI system.
Really is the best solution. Doesn't break the bank.
Then again if you look at that paper I posted above, do we really need any as long as the E is kept low thus keeping fuel volume in check? Look at the results of the testing with E-85 at 14%

Here's another study Ford was involved with...

https://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Program/213/Teleseminars/Robert%20Stein%20%28AVL%29%203-29-11.pdf

FoMoCoSHO

Assuming that data is correct and my experiences so far lead me to believe it is, with that knock resistance shouldn't I be able to start moving target AFR's up during WOT? (I'm at .80 currently)

Wouldn't doing that help restore fuel headroom also?

FoMoCoSHO

At higher levels of E I start to see knock which I believe is due to the fuel pressure drop. It doesn't matter how much octane I have if I'm out of fuel.

As E comes down and volume is restored positive KR activity disappears and negative KR increases pretty dramatically, I actually see it at WOT.

IHeartGroceries

Well, it'd reduce the work load on the system, as the demand drops. But that's of course a delicate balance...
You'd need to make sure your fuel and blend is fairly consistent, if you tune aggressively and with blending E.

So, lambda .80...That's what in E15 blend (isn't that your blend ratio?)? AFR of 11.5 or so? Seems healthy.
But I'm no expert.

I guess it depends on your goals. I saw you mention in another thread. Your goal is an 11 second car. I'll bet that's achievable spraying meth and blending gentle E and possibility running the OE system on the ragged edge.

But I'll bet you won't stop there. Becasue you'll end up wanting mo powah. And you'll end up having to find another solution anyway. Lol

Perhaps ajp can offer some thoughts.
2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 13, 2015, 11:10:48 AM
Well, it'd reduce the work load on the system, as the demand drops. But that's of course a delicate balance...
You'd need to make sure your fuel and blend is fairly consistent, if you tune aggressively and with blending E.

So, lambda .80...That's what in E15 blend (isn't that your blend ratio?)? AFR of 11.5 or so? Seems healthy.
But I'm no expert.

I guess it depends on your goals. I saw you mention in another thread. Your goal is an 11 second car. I'll bet that's achievable spraying meth and blending gentle E and possibility running the OE system on the ragged edge.

But I'll bet you won't stop there. Becasue you'll end up wanting mo powah. And you'll end up having to find another solution anyway. Lol
Yup, E-15 now. Looking at those octane numbers E-10 may even be sufficient which would give me even more headroom.

I've pretty much got the blending process down so I'm not worried about that. Fill up with 93 to 85% on torques fuel gauge, then top off with corn....puts me right around 3 gals give or take.

Whether I will want more power remains to be seen, the car spanks pretty much everything that steps up unless it's a GTR or Shelby. I was untuned for a very long time and was quite content. 

For now I just want to make sure I wring every ounce of performance out of the stock setup and I don't want to waste money on WMI if I already have massive effective octane and can keep pressure in check at current, or even lower levels of E.

The research just leads me to believe we haven't exploited the benefits of directly injected corn yet.