• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Deatschwerks Developing EcoBoost Injectors In Time For 2015 Mustang

Started by FoMoCoSHO, March 09, 2015, 11:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panther427

2013 SHO

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 10, 2015, 07:19:18 PM
Quote from: ajpturbo on March 10, 2015, 07:08:34 PM
I'd have to see it....I would say the pump pressure is also related to the high fuel demand....What is the pump duty cycle?

When fuel demand is high the pressure will fall everywhere

So basically what you are saying is it is draining the rail?

Yes...I guess I could be wrong or even that higher ethanol is harder for the pump to flow the fluid but I do know that E85 is taxing to a fuel system and I've seen this before, however, in different applications.

A lot of people think they have an injector size problem when in reality they have a fuel pressure problem. Larger injectors can be a bandaid for an inadequate fuel pressure. i.e. larger injectors can flow more fuel at a given pulsewidth with lower pressure.

The new coyote mustangs no longer have a fuel rail pressure sensor. I added one and logged it externally though my X3. People think when they are maxing out the fuel system with forced induction they think they need bigger injectors, and sometimes they do but they also don't see how bad fuel pressure is dropping off under boost because it can't be logged in the new 5.0 mustangs. If fuel pressure could be maintained larger injectors might not be necessary.

With the high fuel pressure of direct injection operation it's even more critical I think to maintain it. And it's clear that there is a fuel pressure problem with the ecoboost platform when overboosting from stock. I've seen my rail pressure drop to 500 psi and it was commanding 2100. Now that was at 24 psi in the upper RPM's. But more ethanol would do the same thing at lower boost levels because you have to flow much more fuel...Not sure how much sense that makes...I babble
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 10, 2015, 07:35:37 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 10, 2015, 07:19:18 PM
Quote from: ajpturbo on March 10, 2015, 07:08:34 PM
I'd have to see it....I would say the pump pressure is also related to the high fuel demand....What is the pump duty cycle?

When fuel demand is high the pressure will fall everywhere

So basically what you are saying is it is draining the rail?

Yes...I guess I could be wrong or even that higher ethanol is harder for the pump to flow the fluid but I do know that E85 is taxing to a fuel system and I've seen this before, however, in different applications.

A lot of people think they have an injector size problem when in reality they have a fuel pressure problem. Larger injectors can be a bandaid for an inadequate fuel pressure. i.e. larger injectors can flow more fuel at a given pulsewidth with lower pressure.

The new coyote mustangs no longer have a fuel rail pressure sensor. I added one and logged it externally though my X3. People think when they are maxing out the fuel system with forced induction they think they need bigger injectors, and sometimes they do but they also don't see how bad fuel pressure is dropping off under boost because it can't be logged in the new 5.0 mustangs. If fuel pressure could be maintained larger injectors might not be necessary.

With the high fuel pressure of direct injection operation it's even more critical I think to maintain it. And it's clear that there is a fuel pressure problem with the ecoboost platform when overboosting from stock. I've seen my rail pressure drop to 500 psi and it was commanding 2100. Now that was at 24 psi in the upper RPM's. But more ethanol would do the same thing at lower boost levels because you have to flow much more fuel...Not sure how much sense that makes...I babble
Babble away, the more input the better which i why i went on a research rampage when LME alluded to high sulfur being an issue with US fuels. That led to the viscosity, friction, and back pressure info... things I had never considered before.

I've never seen fuel pressure that low but its been low enough this winter to make the car very unhappy and led me to blend down to 15%. I will probably have to go down the WMI road before its all over, but I'm gonna look at everything else in the meantime.

AJP turbo

That's pretty cool..Guess we'd have to look at the pump....If we have the NON evo pump it looks like it would be a 7% improvement going to 1.2 from 1.12 cc/R......Is that cc per revolution?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 10, 2015, 08:42:47 PM
That's pretty cool..Guess we'd have to look at the pump....If we have the NON evo pump it looks like it would be a 7% improvement going to 1.2 from 1.12 cc/R......Is that cc per revolution?
I think it's cc per pump revolution....

FoMoCoSHO

IHeartGroceries

Anybody had the OE injector flow tested?

You lose pressure (with ethanol or whatever) becasue your injector pulse width decreases with engine speed, your duty cycle increases, your injectors are staying open near continuously and so the high pressure pump struggles to compress fuel, as the restriction eases.

Unless I am mistaken, the rail pressure in these engines is dependent on engine speed, correct? The HPFP is cam driven. It could potentially be responsible for some pressure drops or lean conditions, high load, low in the RPM band.

So, as stated by aj, your injectors can potentially flow well enough, but your limitation is with the HPFP. If there is replacement availability for that, then you open up more headroom for fuel. Until you max the injectors out. O_o
2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

SHOnUup

Makes me think about the "lift knock" we all seem to experience.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SRT82ECOBOOST

The article posted in the OP is originally from January, 2014. Nobody that I know off has heard anything about any further development for this product.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

ZSHO

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on March 12, 2015, 07:22:25 AM
The article posted in the OP is originally from January, 2014. Nobody that I know off has heard anything about any further development for this product.
I feel for you dude,if anything is bothering you or something is on your mind you can always send me a pm and we could talk.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BlackJac

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on March 12, 2015, 07:22:25 AM

I sent them an email and here's the reply.

Hey Michael,

Thank you for contacting us.  We are working on Ecoboost injectors.  There should be some updates soon as to when we will have them available.  Is it okay with you if I add you to the mailing list for these notifications?

Thank you

James

-------------------------------------------------------------------
JAMES ARMSTRONG | Customer Service | james@deatschwerks.com
P: 405-217-0167 | F: 405-217-0700 | http://www.deatschwerks.com
cid:image001.png@01CF5E6E.6F2FC990

2017 Fusion Sport - 401A/ Moonroof/ Magnetic Grey/ Livernois Motorsports 93 Stage 3

2015 Explorer Sport  - SOLD

Modded 1980 Corvette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SUDndpy8bw

SRT82ECOBOOST

It would be great if the injectors actually came to market. I just have my doubts from this company that has promised numerous products that never found their way into customers cars.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 11, 2015, 12:09:41 AM
Anybody had the OE injector flow tested?

You lose pressure (with ethanol or whatever) becasue your injector pulse width decreases with engine speed, your duty cycle increases, your injectors are staying open near continuously and so the high pressure pump struggles to compress fuel, as the restriction eases.

Unless I am mistaken, the rail pressure in these engines is dependent on engine speed, correct? The HPFP is cam driven. It could potentially be responsible for some pressure drops or lean conditions, high load, low in the RPM band.

So, as stated by aj, your injectors can potentially flow well enough, but your limitation is with the HPFP. If there is replacement availability for that, then you open up more headroom for fuel. Until you max the injectors out. O_o
So looking at this, if we were get get a +25% injector that can run at a higher pulse width that closes like a normal injector, wouldn't that at least help restore rail pressure?

It may not be the ultimate fix but it would help wouldn't it?