• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone change their transmission fluid yet...

Started by ddlopes, February 24, 2015, 11:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddlopes

I'm getting ready to change the fluid in my PTU and RDU on my 13' SHO with PP. I was thinking since I'm there I'd do the transmission fluid. And is everyone using Ford for their replacement fluid? My SHO has 22,000 miles
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

ZSHO

There are other good fluids as Redline,but personally would stick with the Motorcraft since your vehicle is still under warranty,another note regarding the trans fluid,based on the owners manuel out of all three they seem stiff on only using Motorcraft mercon LV ATF for the trans,based on my 13 SHO manuel,hope this helps.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

crash712us

+1 MC only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

wasinger3000

Agreed on the MC. I did a lot of reading about a replacement and most companies do not make a MC LV replacement. There are only 1 or 2 I could find.  Seems as though the MC oil will be just fine. Can be bought for $5 a quart at the dealer as well.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

brooklynsho

Motorcraft lv trans fluid could not find egual fount out lv=low viscosity dont know what that means ? Mabe its thicker to slow its flow down
2011 white  fastlane turbo cai ppe catted down pipes magnaflow cat back,unleashes 3 bar tune 170 t stat  ngk plugs irange colder  2013 booster& master cylinder upgrade

ZSHO

I think it will be more convenient getting a case of 12 if our cars take 11.6 quarts of transmission fluid.  Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
•Premium-quality ATF for Ford and Lincoln transmissions
•Provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions
•Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives
•Provides excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, and guards against transmission shudder
•Offers excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability, as well as good low-temperature fluidity
•Provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam
•Helps prevent rust and corrosion
•Dyed red for easy leak detection
•Not for use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
•Not for use in transfer cases
•Recommended by Ford Motor Company
•Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

15 quarts will be required if using the 3x drain/fill method.  Without a flush, the torque converter won't release it's share.  So the 3x D/F serves as a good substitute.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ddlopes

Quote from: SHOdded on February 24, 2015, 03:31:56 PM
15 quarts will be required if using the 3x drain/fill method.  Without a flush, the torque converter won't release it's share.  So the 3x D/F serves as a good substitute.

So are you saying to drain and refill (3) times?
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

SHOdded

This is based on how much fluid you get out in 1 drain.  If you get out 11 quarts, you are set with just one cycle.  If you get out 5 quarts, you will need to drain a total of 3 times to get the same effect as a flush.  This 3x is true for the 6f50 transmission, and I expect it holds true for the 6f55 as well.

Put in the same quantity you drain each time.  Run the engine for three minutes, with the parking brake on and foot on the brake pedal, work through the gears.  Turn the engine off.  Drain & fill.  Repeat until total of 3 D/F cycles are complete.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

SHOdded

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 24, 2015, 06:56:10 PM
I'd say don't waste time and money changing fluid that isn't even broken in yet...
And I'd agree with that, as long as you keep an eye on the color and smell of the fluid.

anthonylee337

When does Ford recommend changing the tranny fluid? 22k miles seems low for a fluid change.
2013 SHO tuxedo black ppkg LMS stage 4 K+N

ZSHO

I think personally 60k is average for transmission fluid change,would not try to exceed beyond that point,like SHOdded mentioned earlier it doesnt hurt to check the dip stick once in a while,at 22k should be a nice cherry color.

ddlopes

Quote from: SHOdded on February 24, 2015, 06:52:32 PM
This is based on how much fluid you get out in 1 drain.  If you get out 11 quarts, you are set with just one cycle.  If you get out 5 quarts, you will need to drain a total of 3 times to get the same effect as a flush.  This 3x is true for the 6f50 transmission, and I expect it holds true for the 6f55 as well.

Put in the same quantity you drain each time.  Run the engine for three minutes, with the parking brake on and foot on the brake pedal, work through the gears.  Turn the engine off.  Drain & fill.  Repeat until total of 3 D/F cycles are complete.

Thanks for the detailed instructions!!!

painterpatt

Wait a minute. doesn't the owners manual say to flush and fill at 30k (for $180)??? Hmm, lifetime fluid, change at 30k...
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!