• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Clean side oil seperator hose

Started by zamirlihari, February 22, 2015, 12:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

I am basically in the process of installing the Rx catch can,but on a side note and prior to getting the RX,i basically modified the front oil seperator hose and attached a K&N filter to one side and plugged the intake port,after a couple of months this is how my red filter looked like and filled up with oil.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Wow, nice "catch", Z!  Where are you planning to locate the catch can?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Thanks MANU,basically trying to do get an idea where to mount the catch can,found a convenient spot right next to the washer fuid reservoir,will proceed with results as soon it gets a little warmer,just to darn cold for know.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

You should remote mount the washer fluid reservoir and leave that whole area free for the catch can lol.  Make a cooling duct from the fender for it too ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

panther427

That is where I mounted mine.  I wanted to mount it in the fender area but the can just was a bit too big
2013 SHO

ZSHO

I know the catch cans arent being mentioned or a hot topic as when they first came available,quick question is it safe to only use the front side RX clean side seperator for know until it gets warmer out to complete the install,cause installed the front only and noticed the car to be a bit smoother than before,especially the idle,if any of the gurus can chime in greatly appreciate it.Z.

SHOdded

I believe it works independently of the "dirty" side separator.  95% of the bad stuff comes out of the dirty side.  Even sold separately as a stand alone product from RX.

ZSHO

I received an email from RX extreme stating that the cleanside will help,but without correcting the lack of evacuation during boost,it will push alot through it,cant hurt though,they responde pretty quickly and mentioned let us know if we can be more of an assistance the RX team. :thumb: :thumb:

SHOdded

metroplex

I have a JLT on the PCV side, is the UPR available just for the cleanside? Also, anyone try the CFM breather for the oil fill cap?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

derfdog15

Quote from: metroplex on December 19, 2016, 04:16:22 AM
I have a JLT on the PCV side, is the UPR available just for the cleanside? Also, anyone try the CFM breather for the oil fill cap?

Try giving UPR a call, they have amazing customer service (I have bought all of my mustang suspension from them). Even if they don't typically offer something as a kit, since they make most parts in house, they usually will make you a custom kit.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

MiWiAu

Quote from: ZSHO on February 26, 2015, 11:13:41 AM
I received an email from RX extreme stating that the cleanside will help,but without correcting the lack of evacuation during boost,it will push alot through it,cant hurt though,they responde pretty quickly and mentioned let us know if we can be more of an assistance the RX team. :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah, I got a similar response from them regarding the CSS, because I wanted to vent mine to atmosphere. They said the system will sometimes "burp" and push oil out, but in reality, that's what the CSS is designed to prevent - it separates the oil from the air (or most of it).

I would see no harm in just running the CSS without the rest of your can installed. In fact, this would actually help a little, since you are removing the connection to the charge piping. Any oil burped would migrate to your filter instead of into the intake. Anything you can do to prevent recirculation of oil into the intake (BOV VTA, CSS) is good in my book. :)

Quote from: metroplex on December 19, 2016, 04:16:22 AM

You don't need a catch can for the clean side. The clean side is primarily a fresh air intake for crank case ventilation. Even on the RX can, the clean side is routed to the filtered side of the airbox (to keep a closed loop system) or to atmosphere (zero vacuum).

The CSS (clean side separator) is just to keep the oil from migrating down your plumbing for the occasional "burps". Primary direction of flow on the clean side is IN to the valve cover.
2013 XSport

metroplex

QuoteYou don't need a catch can for the clean side. The clean side is primarily a fresh air intake for crank case ventilation. Even on the RX can, the clean side is routed to the filtered side of the airbox (to keep a closed loop system) or to atmosphere (zero vacuum).

The CSS (clean side separator) is just to keep the oil from migrating down your plumbing for the occasional "burps". Primary direction of flow on the clean side is IN to the valve cover.

That's true in theory, just like the PCV valve is a one-way valve so you don't really need an oil separator. But reality seems to be the PCV system allows a lot of oil/vapors to enter the intake manifold, and the cleanside crankcase ventilation does allow fresh air to enter the crankcase, but it can also send a lot of oil vapors into the air tract as shown by ZSHO's photos, and the fact when you look in your air intake tract and intercooler, it is an oily mess.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 22, 2016, 04:37:51 AM
QuoteYou don't need a catch can for the clean side. The clean side is primarily a fresh air intake for crank case ventilation. Even on the RX can, the clean side is routed to the filtered side of the airbox (to keep a closed loop system) or to atmosphere (zero vacuum).

That's true in theory, just like the PCV valve is a one-way valve so you don't really need an oil separator. But reality seems to be the PCV system allows a lot of oil/vapors to enter the intake manifold, and the cleanside crankcase ventilation does allow fresh air to enter the crankcase, but it can also send a lot of oil vapors into the air tract as shown by ZSHO's photos, and the fact when you look in your air intake tract and intercooler, it is an oily mess.

You are absolutely right. It's hard to tell in ZSHO's photos exactly where the CSS routing is terminating, but the RX instructions say to install a hose barb in the air box lid (filtered side) for the CSS. In theory, this has low vacuum and shouldn't draw much vapor under boost. As you pointed out, theory can be different from reality. I can't remember who now, but someone in JimiJak's XSport write up mentioned they saw some oil seeping into the air box as well when plumbed per RX instructions. This was resolved with a check valve and rerouting the hose, but I'm not sure if this held up long term.

Personally, I resolved this by venting the CSS to atmosphere and removed it from the intake a circuit completely. However, WI is a non-inspection (OBD2 only) state so this was an acceptable solution to me which may not work for others.

Blow off valves are also a source of oil vapors getting back into the intake, and can be resolved by VTA, if you can tolerate the noise. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

metroplex

How would the blow off valves reintroduce vapors in the intake tract? Do you know what size K&N filters and vacuum plugs I need to do the VTA BOV on the SHO or Xsport?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph