• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Mycal or SCT

Started by TTSport15, February 20, 2015, 12:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTSport15

Any difference in the two ?
I Bleed BLue

AJP turbo

I would love to know. Livernois will always say that the Mycal allows them to do things that SCT could not. When I ask specifically I never get an answer which doesn't surprise me as most of these tuning companies are protective of the software. If you are into your own tuning then I'm not even sure if LMS and the mycal have a software package for the user, SCT does.

SCT is constantly exposing new tables for the Ecoboost. When you request calibrator level access with the pro racer package with SCT there are hundreds of tables if not well over a thousand parameters that can be changed. I never hear SCT say their product does things that others can't but you won't because they don't have a rep that posts but LMS does.

I could be wrong but I've heard from multiple people in the tuning business that Livernois' exclusive use of the mycal device was political and due to business relationships rather than pure functionality.

I have my SHO setup to pass emissions and set all my readiness monitors WITHOUT shutting off any codes with Catless downpipes. I did this by changing how the ECU interprets the cat monitor readings and thresholds. I'm happy with that capability. Some tuners will not do that even if they know how due to liability. That's one example of what the software with SCT can do.

And to your original question, it's really not the device that makes the difference but more the software that is used to edit the calibration.

Not that is a big deal in the SHO but the X4 device can do crank relearns for manual transmission fords. Big in the mustang world because when you changed a clutch you had to do that and only the dealer could do it with IDS software with a VCM II.

LMS is a topnotch company though so if you are just looking for a tune to set and forget any device will work well. I would just like an example when LMS says mycal can do things that others can't.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 20, 2015, 01:21:31 PM
I would love to know. Livernois will always say that the Mycal allows them to do things that SCT could not. When I ask specifically I never get an answer which doesn't surprise me as most of these tuning companies are protective of the software. If you are into your own tuning then I'm not even sure if LMS and the mycal have a software package for the user, SCT does.

SCT is constantly exposing new tables for the Ecoboost. When you request calibrator level access with the pro racer package with SCT there are hundreds of tables if not well over a thousand parameters that can be changed. I never hear SCT say their product does things that others can't but you won't because they don't have a rep that posts but LMS does.

I could be wrong but I've heard from multiple people in the tuning business that Livernois' exclusive use of the mycal device was political and due to business relationships rather than pure functionality.

I have my SHO setup to pass emissions and set all my readiness monitors WITHOUT shutting off any codes. I did this by changing how the ECU interprets the cat monitor readings and thresholds. I'm happy with that capability. Some tuners will not do that even if they know how due to liability. That's one example of what the software with SCT can do.

And to your original question, it's really not the device that makes the difference but more the software that is used to edit the calibration.

Not that is a big deal in the SHO but the X4 device can do crank relearns for manual transmission fords. Big in the mustang world because when you changed a clutch you had to do that and only the dealer could do it with IDS software with a VCM II.

LMS is a topnotch company though so if you are just looking for a tune to set and forget any device will work well. I would just like an example when LMS says mycal can do things that others can't.
Well said ajp... Since the only measured performance comparison by a single SHO done with both tuners that I've seen (Thanks Rich) don't show any significant differences I'd echo the idea that if you have the time, the understanding of the 3.5 TT GDI ECU and it's interactions with the other computer modules, and maybe just want to tinker go SCT. If you want a set and forget (only changing for mods like DPs, 3BAR MAP, CAI, etc) then go MyCal.  At this time I'd recommend staying with LME or Unleashed as the tuner.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

AJP turbo

Thanks Big...I have friends here finally? LOL

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

Thought the same thing BigMac...well worded comment by AJ

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ZSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 20, 2015, 02:03:25 PM
Thanks Big...I have friends here finally? LOL
AJP your making me a tad bit jealous,thought i was your best friend.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ElvenSho

I have my SHO setup to pass emissions and set all my readiness monitors WITHOUT shutting off any codes with Catless downpipes. I did this by changing how the ECU interprets the cat monitor readings and thresholds. I'm happy with that capability. Some tuners will not do that even if they know how due to liability. That's one example of what the software with SCT can do.

Maybe MyCal can change perimeters that SCT can't but I am sure it goes both ways. My guess is that they both do the same exact thing but if what LMS is saying is true then I am sure SCT can tweak things that MyCal can't but they will never mention that. I understand every company wants to make their product look good but still...
2011 Red Taurus SHO- H&R springs, plugs, t-stat, 3bar, LMS dps, tuned by Torrie

AJP turbo

Quote from: ElvenSho on February 20, 2015, 03:38:55 PM

Maybe MyCal can change perimeters that SCT can't but I am sure it goes both ways. My guess is that they both do the same exact thing but if what LMS is saying is true then I am sure SCT can tweak things that MyCal can't but they will never mention that. I understand every company wants to make their product look good but still...

SCT doesn't have to mention anything. All of their tuning capabilities are on the table, you just need the pro racer package with calibrator level access and you have the same software that the professional tuners use. That's why in another thread I asked LMS what they think they can change that SCT can't and I could confirm by looking in the parameters but I never got an answer.

To be honest with you there is so much in the tune that can be changed that I don't think you would ever even have the need to. I've often wondered if SCT put too many editable tables in the software but I guess they are just unlocking what is already there from the Ford ECU logic. That's what makes me question someone when they say they can do things that others can't....It would blow you away when you see how many tables there are in an SCT tune.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

bpd1151

Me personally, I wouldn't go readily posting the info you have about bypassing the Emission's protocols via ECU reprogramming. Especially to the extent you've described.

Turning off 02 sensors to avoid the irritation of a CEL staring at you is one thing.....

However, completely bypassing all the protocols is a whole 'nother level.

Most tuners will not perform such alterations NOT merely because of the liability as you state in such a laissez faire manner..... but entirely because doing so is HIGHLY ILLEGAL and will result in stiff penalties and sanctions.

For those owners who are confronted with visual emissions inspections, and employ catless DP's, the challenges of passing emissions is still an ever present one.

In closing, anyone taking on such risks should understand what they are, for what they are, and be prepared accordingly.

AJP turbo

Well it's my race car anyway which may never be used upon public roads....Isn't that what they say or maybe that's just cali...So I'm good...You should check out my Taurus racecar

I just like to help...I do it for the people. My people need to be set free

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Livernois Motorsports

QuoteThat's why in another thread I asked LMS what they think they can change that SCT can't and I could confirm by looking in the parameters but I never got an answer.

You asked us to give a roadmap of what we have that others don't, of course we won't say. We have taken the time to figure it out, others have not. So why would we gift competitors with our knowledge of these vehicles? We've had enough of our intellectual property copied to never make those mistakes again. And in rebuttal of software being able to fake a readiness monitor, that's nothing we would ever do anyways, because as mentioned above its illegal on a federal level.

As for our access, you are talking having access to over 1,000 parameters, we have nearly 16,000. So yes, we have a touch more ;-)

AJP turbo

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on February 20, 2015, 04:20:00 PM
QuoteThat's why in another thread I asked LMS what they think they can change that SCT can't and I could confirm by looking in the parameters but I never got an answer.

You asked us to give a roadmap of what we have that others don't, of course we won't say. We have taken the time to figure it out, others have not. So why would we gift competitors with our knowledge of these vehicles? We've had enough of our intellectual property copied to never make those mistakes again. And in rebuttal of software being able to fake a readiness monitor, that's nothing we would ever do anyways, because as mentioned above its illegal on a federal level.

As for our access, you are talking having access to over 1,000 parameters, we have nearly 16,000. So yes, we have a touch more ;-)

I guess you could look at it as gifting someone. But then I guess SCT is all about gifts as once you are a pro racer customer you have their roadmap. And it's not faking the readiness monitor it's redefining what's acceptable or not. Faking would be using the same thresholds and manipulating the readings to be within those thresholds. I'm talking about something different entirely and if you don't have a fair amount of tuning experience you wouldn't understand what I'm talking about anyway.

And I didn't count so I'm not exactly sure. I'm talking about over 1000 drop downs, each having tables and scalars within them so could be 20,000 changeable items I don't know. We won't come to a resolution I'm sure.

What is the size of the file when you email someone a tune? i.e. 2MB, 3MB? That's a pretty good indicator.

And now that I think of it I wasn't asking for a roadmap or how you changed what you changed but maybe an example of what you changed. All that would do is demonstrate your capabilities without giving out your trade secrets. If you said you could change a certain thing, other companies would still have to figure out how to do it.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 20, 2015, 04:35:56 PM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on February 20, 2015, 04:20:00 PM

I guess you could look at it as gifting someone. But then I guess SCT is all about gifts as once you are a pro racer customer you have their roadmap. And it's not faking the readiness monitor it's redefining what's acceptable or not. Faking would be using the same thresholds and manipulating the readings to be within those thresholds. I'm talking about something different entirely and if you don't have a fair amount of tuning experience you wouldn't understand what I'm talking about anyway.

And I didn't count so I'm not exactly sure. I'm talking about over 1000 drop downs, each having tables and scalars within them so could be 20,000 changeable items I don't know. We won't come to a resolution I'm sure.

What is the size of the file when you email someone a tune? i.e. 2MB, 3MB? That's a pretty good indicator.

And now that I think of it I wasn't asking for a roadmap or how you changed what you changed but maybe an example of what you changed. All that would do is demonstrate your capabilities without giving out your trade secrets. If you said you could change a certain thing, other companies would still have to figure out how to do it.
AJP,do yourself a favor and CHILL,(seriously)its for your own good my friend.Z.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 20, 2015, 05:20:04 PM
okie dokie
I like the gauges,did you install them yourself,are they electric.Z.